News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Hi :)

Started by Jane, June 21, 2008, 03:13:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jane

I suppose I should introduce myself instead of lurking  :)

I'm an (almost) 30 year old living in Dublin, Holy Catholic Ireland for the last 8 years...born and raised American.

I was a raised a baptized, evangelical Southern Baptist before realizing I'm atheist, and am looking forward to participating here.  (and am usually a bit more articulate than this - I never know what to say in an introduction. I guess I'm shy even online).

myleviathan

Hi there, Jane. Welcome to the forum. I was also raised an Evangelical Southern Baptist. I was even named after my mom's pastor. Scary, huh?

I'm also pushing thirty. So what brought you to Ireland from the US?
"On the moon our weekends are so far advanced they encompass the entire week. Jobs have been phased out. We get checks from the government, and we spend it on beer! Mexican beer! That's the cheapest of all beers." --- Ignignokt & Err

Jane

Wow, my mother would have totally done that had she thought of it - fortunately she didn't, as his name is Moo.   :)

afreethinker30

Quote from: "Jane"Wow, my mother would have totally done that had she thought of it - fortunately she didn't, as his name is Moo.   :)

Hi there welcome to the boards.I haven't been here to long myself but everyone (minus the trolls) here is great.

McQ

Welcome to the forum, Jane. Thanks for the intro!
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

OldGit

Welcome from another newbie. :D   They are kind to newbies here and even the trolls only get mild insults!

Jane

Yay! No noobie sacrificial rituals?? what kind of atheists are you?  I expected to at LEAST have to eat a baby, maybe kick a nun...hmph.

susangail

Quote from: "Jane"Yay! No noobie sacrificial rituals?? what kind of atheists are you?  I expected to at LEAST have to eat a baby, maybe kick a nun...hmph.

We're happy atheists of course! Sacrificial rituals hmm.... One of the first things I did when I concluded atheism was give God the finger (more like my popcorn ceiling, but I don't think it was offended). You might have to sacrifice something to Satan though, cause you know, ALL atheists are devil-worshippers.

Anyway, welcome to the forum. Happy posting!
When life gives you lemons, make orange juice and let the world wonder how you did it.

Smallville

Quote from: "Jane"Yay! No noobie sacrificial rituals?? what kind of atheists are you?  I expected to at LEAST have to eat a baby, maybe kick a nun...hmph.

Welcome.
Hm? Sacrificial rituals? Perhaps we could borrow something from the Druids involving a golden sickle, oak trees, wicker baskets, mistletoe, and fire. Lots of fire. With marshmallows, or hotdogs.
Eat a baby? Long pork just ain't what it used to be.
Kick a nun? What did a penguin ever do to you?
Two wrongs don't make a right but three left turns will.

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." â€" Nietzsche
"Just think of the tragedy of teaching children not to doubt." - Clarence Darrow

Evolved

There is a paddling ritual, although I found out it was optional after my bum was red. :P

No rituals here...just fun and intellectual conversation.  Welcome to the forum!
"Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense."
Chapman Cohen

Jane

Golden sickle, oak trees, fire and marshmallows I am TOTALLY down with - I'm not big on wicker baskets - too twee for my tastes.

I vote for initiation involving paddling under an oak tree with a golden sickle, followed by toasty marshmallows.

As for the penguins, I don't trust them. Have you EVER encountered anything that cute that didn't try to sucker you out of SOMETHING?