News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

What are you up to?

Started by Dave, June 27, 2017, 06:26:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

Here's to you Mr Robinson (Gloucester).
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

OldGit

You're a man after my own heart, Glos!

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Icarus

hermes2015

Hey, Gloucester, I came across this site

https://www.gyroscope.com/

I thought of you, because they are Gloucester based and sell stuff I am quite sure you will enjoy. I wish I had some of those toys.
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

That's good work Gloucester. I have a workmate that I picked up recently as a stand for my belt sander to belt griner conversion. Okay... my conversion is just high quality zirconia belts, but it seems to work well when it wants to.

My one problem is a serious squealing that I can't seem to find the source of. A bit of cable lube on the platen seems to clear it up so my thinking is that it was rust built up on the second hand sander but I'm still not confident that the issue isn't a dry bearing.

A quick look didn't reveal any obvious way to remove the tracking wheel. Maybe once I'm back from lunch I'll give it another look. It isn't obvious at all how they fit the thing together.

I will say that sharpening a drill or chisel is much nicer on a belt that a wheel. It cuts very quickly and relatively flat!

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on July 03, 2017, 12:37:34 PM

I thought of you, because they are Gloucester based and sell stuff I am quite sure you will enjoy. I wish I had some of those toys.

Don't tempt me!!!

Want the Super Gyro with Gimbal Set - but not prepared to £120 pay for such at the moment. Let's see what interedt I get on my savings first . . .
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

hermes2015

Quote from: Gloucester on July 03, 2017, 03:28:30 PM

Don't tempt me!!!

Want the Super Gyro with Gimbal Set - but not prepared to £120 pay for such at the moment. Let's see what interedt I get on my savings first . . .

If you have a mate with a lathe, I'm sure you could make one. Then you could also design in a motor to keep it spinning.
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on July 03, 2017, 03:42:22 PM
Quote from: Gloucester on July 03, 2017, 03:28:30 PM

Don't tempt me!!!

If you have a mate with a lathe, I'm sure you could make one. Then you could also design in a motor to keep it spinning.

I will put the £120 towards a small lathe . . .

Motoring a multi-axis gyro is not easy. Back in 197n, before the days of electronic gyros, no vibratory or solid state ones (and no PCs with CAD), we were asked  to design a clockwork multi-axis gyro with the movement inside the flywheel. We gave up merely trying to keep a flywheel with an unwinding spring inside (no form of stored electtical energy was allowed) in constant balance and suggested that the directors hire a medium or buy a Ouija or a board and get in touch with John Harrison!

I can remember at about age 10 being dragged away from Harrison's chronometers, then in the Royal Obervatory, Greenwich. Fantastic hand made machines! Things of human ingenuity and engineering beauty.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74