Main Menu

Sssss -- HAF Photo Challenge Poll

Started by Recusant, June 02, 2017, 09:04:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lark

Quote from: Tank on June 03, 2017, 07:35:09 AM
Quote from: Tank on June 02, 2017, 10:57:25 PM
Quote from: Lark on June 02, 2017, 10:52:58 PM
Great photos.  Should we explain why they were ' S' ?
After the vote. Otherwise the anonymity element would disappear. I too can't wait to find the 'S' in some of them!
A thought occurred. We can always have a guess!
1 Sunset
2 S
3 Solar eclipse
4 Sap
5 ???
6 Statue
7 Stork
8 Smith
9 Spinning wheel
10 Swallow/swift
11 Living statue
12 Statue
13 Squirrel
14 Seagull or squirty shit
15 Smoke
16 Stork
17 Street?
18 Skyline
19 Skyline
20 Shiny
21 Science
22 Sunflower
23 Spokes
24 Seahorse

What would your guess/interpretation be?

Interesting but I would guess a bit differently, in particular No 7 is a crowned crane  with little connection to S ???

hermes2015

Quote from: Lark on June 07, 2017, 01:46:19 PM
Quote from: Tank on June 03, 2017, 07:35:09 AM
Quote from: Tank on June 02, 2017, 10:57:25 PM
Quote from: Lark on June 02, 2017, 10:52:58 PM
Great photos.  Should we explain why they were ' S' ?
After the vote. Otherwise the anonymity element would disappear. I too can't wait to find the 'S' in some of them!
A thought occurred. We can always have a guess!
1 Sunset
2 S
3 Solar eclipse
4 Sap
5 ???
6 Statue
7 Stork
8 Smith
9 Spinning wheel
10 Swallow/swift
11 Living statue
12 Statue
13 Squirrel
14 Seagull or squirty shit
15 Smoke
16 Stork
17 Street?
18 Skyline
19 Skyline
20 Shiny
21 Science
22 Sunflower
23 Spokes
24 Seahorse

What would your guess/interpretation be?

Interesting but I would guess a bit differently, in particular No 7 is a crowned crane  with little connection to S ???

In that case I will revise my guess for 7. I guess it is a photo of a Swamp.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Lark

My mistake. I meant No 16 is a crowned crane. No 7 is a great white heron, I think, and yes, in a swamp.  :)

Arturo

It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Tank

Quote from: Lark on June 07, 2017, 02:05:22 PM
My mistake. I meant No 16 is a crowned crane. No 7 is a great white heron, I think, and yes, in a swamp.  :)
16 may be a crane but it's still an excellent 'S' through the beak and neck.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Lark

A few more suggestions.
1    sunset
2    stone
3    sky
4   secretion
5   sky
6   symbol
7   swamp
8   smith
9   spinning wheel
10  swallow
11   sensational
12   statue
13   squirrel
14    seagull
15    smoky
16    S shape
17    super carpet
18     sky
19     snow
20      silver
21      stuff
22     stamen
23     spokes
24      Best for S.  sky,sea,sand, statue/seahorse, scenery

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Recusant

Congratulations to the winner of the "Sssss" HAF Photo Challenge, hermes2015. Winning entry is #2, the 'S' form horn. He will have the honor and duty of choosing the theme for the next photo challenge.  :)

Thank you to all who contributed images for this photo challenge, and to all who voted in the poll. :thumbsup:

I'll use this post to describe my entries, and why I think they fulfill the theme.

#6 is a part of the gilded suspension system of a state carriage, and on the left side of the face is an 's' shape which holds the covered leather straps that support the carriage.

#12 is a statue of Darwin which can be found in Shrewsbury.

#18 is the shore of the River Saône in the town of Mâcon, France.

#24 is a statue of a seahorse on the seaside.  :)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dave

3 is , as guessed, a Solar eclipse, just about at max occlusion for my location.

9 is a Spinster at her Spinning wheel in Southgate Street (but you were not to know the last but!)

15 is a Victorian Steam crane at the Gloucester Docks - just before they found out the safety pressure release was was faulty! Luckily in "fail at low pressure" mode.

21 is, as guessed by at least one, a Sterling engine, one of my favourite Shiny toys!

Of course, the other pictures I posted precluded my use of "Sailing Shios"!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

hermes2015

Quote from: Recusant on June 17, 2017, 10:25:11 AM
Congratulations to the winner of the "Sssss" HAF Photo Challenge, hermes2015. Winning entry is #2, the 'S' form horn. He will have the honor and duty of choosing the theme for the next photo challenge.  :)

Thanks Recusant, and to everyone who voted for my photos. I will try to think of a good theme for the next challenge.

Here is some background info on my photos. They were all taken with a Nikon D600 in RAW format.

#2 was taken on a sheep farm in the Eastern Cape region of South Africa. I loved the S shape and textures of a horn that was displayed on an old wall near the farmhouse.

#8 is a smith demonstrating his skills to tourists in Cetinje, Montenegro.

#14 is a seagull in Venice, Italy.

#20 is a silver bangle I made last year as a gift for my ex wife. It was quite a challenge to start with an ingot of silver, which I had to roll by hand into 2mm sheet. This was then cut into strips to make a cylinder big enough to slip over her hand. Other strips were then folded and joined into the undulating outer part of the bangle, which also shows some S curves. Finally, some flat sheets of silver were soldered on the flat sides to hold everything together. With final polishing, the whole project needed about 12 hours of work. I have always liked folded shapes and have also done some ceramic sculptures that explore folded clay.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Sap

Swallow

S shaped neck

Sunflower

I loved all the other entries.

Claireliontamer

Some great photos, it's making me want to get my camera out again.  I'll try and join in the next one.

My personal favourites were the Smith and the Seahorse statue.

Biggus Dickus

Congratulations hermes2015 I really enjoyed your photos, and I knew as soon as I saw the horn that it would most likely be the winner, it's a really cool photo.

I enjoyed everyone else's contributions as well...this was an interesting subject for the challenge (Bar is set high now hermes2015 for the next challenge, good luck sir!) ;)
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

hermes2015

Quote from: Father Bruno on June 19, 2017, 01:34:20 PM
Congratulations hermes2015 I really enjoyed your photos, and I knew as soon as I saw the horn that it would most likely be the winner, it's a really cool photo.

I enjoyed everyone else's contributions as well...this was an interesting subject for the challenge (Bar is set high now hermes2015 for the next challenge, good luck sir!) ;)

Thank you very much for your kind words. The horn was shot entirely as I saw it displayed on the wall. It was not staged or altered in any way.

I have given it some thought and have made some suggestions for the next challenge. I think it should not be something too exotic, so that most people will be able to find suitable subjects.
― Charles Eames