News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Ecurb's Neighbors

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, May 28, 2017, 01:26:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icarus

There are people from other cultures who are so admirably congenial that I think we'd do well to emulate.

My young friend from Lithuania will arrive as my house guest in early June. He is from a miserably poor and wickedly corrupt country. He is also the consummate gentleman with some sophistication despite his country of residence.  Justinas is 26 years old and has a much different attitude from the 20 somethings that I know here.

What an odd ball circumstance that an old man 60 years older than my young guest has become such close mutual friends. He is a brilliant classical guitarist and I have not a single musical skill in my body. Justinas has a masters degree in music and he teaches in a high school. He makes a little bit more than average salary which comes to about 500 euros per month. The cost of living in Lithuania is almost as much as it is here in the US. That is hard to reconcile.  In spite of the hardships he maintains a positive attitude.

Last time he visited he brought a loaf of Lithuanian "black bread".  It was truly a yummy repast and entirely different from anything I have ever had before.