News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

HAF Book Club: May Book Poll

Started by Sandra Craft, April 17, 2017, 09:31:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom62

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Dragonia

Thanks for that download, Tom! I have already started reading, which is good and bad... Good because its a good book, bad because the rest of my life suffers slightly when I'm in the grips of a good book.... But the rest of my life can just deal with itself...  ;D
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Tom62 on April 24, 2017, 05:12:56 PM
Here is the download as pdf file

Thanks Tom, this is really cool. I'm going to get started reading tonight. 8)

By the way, I think that as long as Tom/HAF is going to supply us all with a copy of the book each time we make a selection for our Book Club, that maybe we should consider doing it bi-monthly instead of monthly?

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Dragonia

Quote from: Father Bruno on April 24, 2017, 07:32:03 PM

By the way, I think that as long as Tom/HAF is going to supply us all with a copy of the book each time we make a selection for our Book Club, that maybe we should consider doing it bi-monthly instead of monthly?
Are you really going to do that Tom? I mean, that would be the coolest, but can you do that?

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Dragonia on April 25, 2017, 01:18:41 AM

Are you really going to do that Tom? I mean, that would be the coolest, but can you do that?

I was thinking we could see how it goes for May and then decide.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Tom62

In this case, Google was my friend. I don't think that all books on our list are free to download.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Biggus Dickus

I was just teasing Tom about this Dragonita, as this was just a one off kind of thing...right book, right place. Sorry, don't think Tom or HAF are going to continue to supply us with free books. 8)

Anyway I'm really starting to get into this book by Sagan, I think we made a good choice.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Father Bruno on April 25, 2017, 09:15:31 PM

Anyway I'm really starting to get into this book by Sagan, I think we made a good choice.

It's one of my favorite books -- not just by Sagan, but all time.  I'm going to get right into it as soon as I finish the Shirley Jackson bio I'm halfway thru.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Dragonia

I was just teasing Tom about this Dragonita, as this was just a one off kind of thing...right book, right place. Sorry, don't think Tom or HAF are going to continue to supply us with free books. 8)

Well dang, I thought Tom had a secret place that he could get free books from and distribute according to his whims. I knew it was too good to be true!!! Free is my favorite!

Tom62

Quote from: Dragonia on April 26, 2017, 01:57:09 AM

Well dang, I thought Tom had a secret place that he could get free books from and distribute according to his whims. I knew it was too good to be true!!! Free is my favorite!

If you are looking for free books to download then checkout the Gutenberg project.They offer more than 53,000 free ebooks. These are mainly older books, most are not protected by U.S. copyright law, usually because their copyrights have expired.
Robert A. Heinlein

Dragonia

^^^That Gutenberg Project is a real treasure. It's like I'm engaged in something illicit, but it's perfectly legit! Thanks for that link, I'm gonna use the heck out of it!

Claireliontamer

I heard whispers that the book club had started again.  I'll see if I can catch up with you all.