News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

What is evolution?

Started by Tank, April 08, 2017, 08:52:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

What is evolution?

I regularly see people expounding their view/opinion of what evolution is. They then go on to rubbish their own view/opinion to 'prove' that evolution is somehow impossible and does not exist. This is known as building a 'straw man'. A simulacrum of the real thing which is deliberately flawed to allow it to be 'burnt down'. It is a devious and dishonest tactic used to reinforce a false premise.

So, what is evolution?

It is the change over time of allele frequency and epi-genetic makers in a population.

It's that simple. It's a fact, it happens, you are an example. You have different allele frequencies and epi-genetic markers to your parents and your children will be different from you. This is the fact of evolution.

So what is the Theory of Evolution (ToE) and how does it relate to the fact of evolution? A scientific theory, as opposed to the colloquial use of the word as a 'posh guess', does its best to explain observed facts. It is mutable based on the discovery of new facts. The ToE explains why allele frequency and epi-genetic markers change over time. It encompasses effects such as natural selection, mutation and genetic drift. It explains why populations split or morph into different/new species.

If you want to understand what evolution is and how the ToE explains why life diversifies and changes over time there are a number of excellent books on the subject. If you want a view that counters theistic arguments I would recommend 'Why Evolution is True.' by Prof. Jerry A. Coyne. If you want a totally academic, but still very readable, description then I would recommend Evolution: Components and Mechanisms by Prof. David Zeigler.

I'm happy to answer any genuine questions born out of curiosity.

Regards
Chris

Saved here for future use on Facebook.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Excellent, Tank.

But meaningless to those who Know and Believe the Truth.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tank

Quote from: Gloucester on April 08, 2017, 08:58:02 AM
Excellent, Tank.

But meaningless to those who Know and Believe the Truth.
Quit so. But there are always the follower, the lurkers. They are the target of my debates. It's quite common for me to get a couple of friend requests and/or followers after a good debate with a science denier or anti evolutionist. They mostly won't have taken part in the debate but will 'like' it and later debates they also read. There are a lot of people out there who have lost, or are losing their belief and they won't make it obvious for fear of ostracism by friends and family.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Arturo

It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Tank

Three more followers so far.

Dave

Quote from: Tank on April 08, 2017, 09:49:45 PM

Three "more", how many total then, Tank?

No one

The despicable human creature has evolved a phenomenal capacity to vilify that which they refuse to understand.   

Tank

Quote from: Gloucester on April 08, 2017, 09:52:58 PM
Quote from: Tank on April 08, 2017, 09:49:45 PM

Three "more", how many total then, Tank?

45 at the moment. I switched on the 'Follow' option a couple of months ago.

Icarus

This nice lady is quite good at politely mowing down science deniers.

Dave

Quote from: Icarus on April 09, 2017, 09:54:50 PM
This nice lady is quite good at politely mowing down science deniers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsuTsc3RmcI

One can see why she has the job she has!

Icarus

This one is a TED talk that Ms Thaller did.  Her talk dances all around creation and she never even once mentions a deity. It is as if the  god thought has never occurred to her.  I will wager that it has been given some thought, and summarily dismissed.  If I am a fundie, I do not think that I would choose to debate her.  She says that we, our bodies, are made of stardust. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAV96XSdMQo  She reminds me somehow of Neil Tyson, with her seemingly spontaneous, unrehearsed delivery. 

Dragonia

Quote from: Icarus on April 09, 2017, 09:54:50 PM
This nice lady is quite good at politely mowing down science deniers.

Well, Ms. Michelle has a new fan.  I loved this video, she's fun and easy and interesting to listen to. It's like she's got so much to tell, and not enough time. And her point about people responding to the emotion of a situation, instead of the facts, is so spot-on. I hope to see more of her.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Dragonia

Quote from: Icarus on April 10, 2017, 11:53:30 PM
This one is a TED talk that Ms Thaller did.  Her talk dances all around creation and she never even once mentions a deity. It is as if the  god thought has never occurred to her.  I will wager that it has been given some thought, and summarily dismissed.  If I am a fundie, I do not think that I would choose to debate her.  She says that we, our bodies, are made of stardust. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAV96XSdMQo  She reminds me somehow of Neil Tyson, with her seemingly spontaneous, unrehearsed delivery.
Oh,  I love Michelle Thalller even more now! What a beautiful way she has of putting our universe, and consequently, our selves, into perspective. It's emotional, and poetic, and factual all at the same time. I am star dust! I always knew it!
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Dave

Quote from: Dragonia on April 11, 2017, 02:13:19 PM
Quote from: Icarus on April 10, 2017, 11:53:30 PM
Oh,  I love Michelle Thalller even more now! What a beautiful way she has of putting our universe, and consequently, our selves, into perspective. It's emotional, and poetic, and factual all at the same time. I am star dust! I always knew it!

When someone has a genuine enthusiasm for their subject it always gives their presentation an extra dimension, we can ride along on it!