News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

HAF Book Club: Suggestions

Started by Sandra Craft, April 03, 2017, 08:10:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

At the urging of Father Bruno, we're going to give this a go again.  I'll take suggestions for books to read until the 17th, then we'll vote and the winner will be our May book of the month. 

The runner ups (I'm not going to apply "loser" to a book) will remain part of our To-Be-Read list, and be part of the voting next month.  You can suggest a new book to be added to the list at any time. 

I think periodically I'll cull the list a bit if a book goes a few months with no votes -- you know what we readers are with our TBR lists!

Let the suggestions begin.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on April 03, 2017, 08:10:43 PM
At the urging of Father Bruno, we're going to give this a go again.  I'll take suggestions for books to read until the 17th, then we'll vote and the winner will be our May book of the month. 

The runner ups (I'm not going to apply "loser" to a book) will remain part of our To-Be-Read list, and be part of the voting next month.  You can suggest a new book to be added to the list at any time. 

I think periodically I'll cull the list a bit if a book goes a few months with no votes -- you know what we readers are with our TBR lists!

Let the suggestions begin.

Thanks for doing this Books 8)

How many suggestions can we make or is it one per Haffer?
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Father Bruno on April 03, 2017, 09:54:59 PM

Thanks for doing this Books 8)

How many suggestions can we make or is it one per Haffer?

I think I'll leave it open for now, and we can cut down on the suggestions if it becomes cumbersome.
Sandy

Dragonia

Ok, I'll start! Here are 4 books that are on my list and have been for a while now:

Wolf in White Van by John Darnielle
All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
Hillbilly Elegy by J. D. Vance
And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini

You can see that I lean towards novels, but I promise not to pout if everyone votes on something all crazy and weird, like philosophy or history or something.  I'll still read it!  :bigspecs:
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Biggus Dickus

^^Looks like a good list Dragonia :)

Since Dragonia set the bar by listing four books I'll follow suite:

The Gospel According to Jesus Christ, by José Saramago (Don't worry my fellow atheists, this is a fictional re-telling Jesus's life). I'm a big fan of Saramago, and have read a number of his books: The Year of the Death of Ricardo Reis, Blindness, All the Names, The Cave, Seeing, and Death with Interruptions.
I've always wanted to read this one.

The Glass Bead Game, by Hermann Hesse.

Norse Mythology, by Neil Gaiman

A Man Called Ove, by Fredrik Backman

Sandra Craft

How about this as a general rule:  everyone gets to suggest 5 books.  If one of your books gets picked, or gets culled, you can suggest another one.
Sandy

Dragonia

Ha ha, Father Bruno, your last 2 books are also on my list!  ;D

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Dragonia on April 05, 2017, 02:30:27 AM
Ha ha, Father Bruno, your last 2 books are also on my list!  ;D

Great minds think alike Dragonia 8) You know as a young boy I used to love to read the stories about the greek and roman gods and norse mythology, based on the reviews Neil's book has me a bit excited, seems like a good summer book.

I read and loved both the "Kite Runner" and "A Thousand Splendid Suns" by Khaled Hosseini. "And the Mountains Echoed" is at the top of my list as well, probably would have listed it if you didn't.

Not a bad list so far if I say so myself. ;D

Books, here's my numero cinco: "The Handmaid's Tale" Margaret Atwood

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Father Bruno on April 05, 2017, 01:01:29 PM

Books, here's my numero cinco: "The Handmaid's Tale" Margaret Atwood

An oldie but a goodie, and very easy to find since Trump's inauguration.

I could have sworn I put my own 5 suggestions up here, but I don't see it now and nothing shows up on search.  Just as well, since I've already decided to cull one of them.

Confessions of a Barbarian, by Edward Abbey
Between the World and Me, by Ta-Nehisi Coates
Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman, by Haruki Murakami
The Invention of Nature, by Andrea Wulf
Sandy

Dragonia

Haruki Murakami: an author that I've never read but I intend to!  I'm so inspired by these suggestions! I wish I could read for a living.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Dragonia on April 06, 2017, 12:15:25 AM
Haruki Murakami: an author that I've never read but I intend to!  I'm so inspired by these suggestions! I wish I could read for a living.

Don't we all!  Like Bruno, I got introduced to Murakami by Crow and have been reading him ever since.  He also writes non-fiction, which I may have to order since none of the bookstores around here stock it.

My 5th:  Are We Smart Enough to Know How Smart Animals Are?, by Frans de Waal
Sandy

Icarus

Dragonia; Hillbilly Elegy is both moderately humorous and intensely gripping. I recommend it as a somewhat serious read about life as it is in the lesser regions of America.

Dragonia

I know, Icarus! You are the one who got me wanting to read it in the first place!  ;D You mentioned it, with a little description, in another post a few months ago. Been thinking of it ever since!

Sandra Craft

Non-fiction is my preference too, and I hope the list will be an even mix of fiction and non-fiction.   Demon-Haunted World is one of my favorite books, btw.
Sandy