News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Crash Course Philosophy

Started by Arturo, March 28, 2017, 01:38:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arturo

Philosophy: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8dPuuaLjXtNgK6MZucdYldNkMybYIHKR

Some lecture type videos that explain critical thinking, philosophy, and philosophical ideas. Just watched one on the topic of what is really real, what one thinks is real, and how one could ever know the difference. It went into Plato a little bit and the film Inception as well.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

hermes2015

Thanks for the link. I will watch some of these when I have time. Some scientists like Lawrence Krauss have dismissed philosophy as irrelevant to modern science, and although I tend to agree on the whole, I still think that any educated person should at least be aware of the major movements and personalities in the world of philosophy.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Arturo

Quote from: hermes2015 on March 28, 2017, 05:26:30 AM
Thanks for the link. I will watch some of these when I have time. Some scientists like Lawrence Krauss have dismissed philosophy as irrelevant to modern science, and although I tend to agree on the whole, I still think that any educated person should at least be aware of the major movements and personalities in the world of philosophy.

I would need to see the context he said that in to understand but it is my understanding that you need a doctorate of philosophy in order to do research. At the very least, one should have the critical thinking skills down.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

Quote from: Arturo on March 28, 2017, 07:28:09 AM

I would need to see the context he said that in to understand but it is my understanding that you need a doctorate of philosophy in order to do research. At the very least, one should have the critical thinking skills down.
Things like critical thinking have probably existed as long as thinking itself. Those who posses such skills naturally might tend to gravitate towards areas where they are useful - like science.

Then philosophy, doing the job it was invented for, decided to explain what critical thinking is.

If you ain't got it in your genes chances are, beyond a fundamental (but still useable) understanding, you probably won't really learn it. Good scientists are born, not made, that way. Education can train you how and, hopefully, when, to apply it. Not to your social relationships!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Arturo

Quote from: Gloucester on March 28, 2017, 07:44:41 AM

Things like critical thinking have probably existed as long as thinking itself. Those who posses such skills naturally might tend to gravitate towards areas where they are useful - like science.

Then philosophy, doing the job it was invented for, decided to explain what critical thinking is.

If you ain't got it in your genes chances are, beyond a fundamental (but still useable) understanding, you probably won't really learn it. Good scientists are born, not made, that way. Education can train you how and, hopefully, when, to apply it. Not to your social relationships!
Everyone does to some degree already. It's when you learn what it is, you can recognize it. And for me, I can tell who really believes in themselves. I.e. my Dad does not.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

hermes2015

This is probably a good start: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tH3AnYyAI8
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames