News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Why evolution is not just chance.

Started by Tank, March 18, 2017, 11:43:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: Bluenose on November 13, 2018, 11:43:18 PM
There are so many independent cross-corroborating lines of evidence for evolution that I think it is fair to say that the main reason for apparently educated people to deny it is wilful ignorance.  I have no problem with uneducated people not understanding it, but no one else has any real excuse.

Quite so.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Icarus

Well reasoned Blue.

I am constantly flabbergasted by climate change deniers, evolution skeptics and , bible worshipers who do not know jack shit about the origin or questionable development of their book.

Tank

Quote from: Tank on October 21, 2018, 03:58:40 PM
A comment today on facebook.

Funny thing is that the guy had not read the whole post. They later deleted their comment.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

John V

Quote from: Tank on November 13, 2018, 09:09:12 PM
I used 6 as an example. It could have been any combination in any order. The selection pressures determine which genes (numbers) are conserved. This is a crude analogy to illustrate the effect of natural selection. Your lock analogy is incorrect as it has no selection element.

Different selection pressures favour different genes. Don't forget we are not talking about dice in reality.

Actually, you used the full set 666666 as an example, then backed off to just 6.

If 6 by itself is sufficiently advantageous, then yes, 6 by itself will be selected. That's pretty trivial.

If the unit 666666 is advantageous, it doesn't follow that an individual 6 by itself will be advantageous.

Icarus

:notes:   (six factorial)   6! = 720 and 66! = 5.4 followed by 92 zeros which is  a really big number ....so where do we go with the sixes from here?

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Caliasseia

The short answer ...

Evolution consists of the following:

[1] Generate lots of variations;
[2] Discard the failures;
[3] Build upon what is left.
Bad ideas exist to be destroyed ...