News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

What Are You Reading?

Started by Arturo, March 15, 2017, 11:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jumbojak

I'm reading Mad Dog Killers, a book written by a Congo Mercenary about his experiences there during the 60s. I'm only about 1/10th in but it seems interesting so far.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Essie Mae

Quote from: Icarus on June 24, 2017, 11:44:35 PM
Highly recommended for the politically observant types: Not a Scientist: How politicians mistake, misrepresent, and utterly mangle science.  By Dave Levitan   A non fiction book about that which the subtitle implies.  A most illustrative read of the chicanery, whether intentional or not, of our representatives and senators.   A most relevant book to digest and to then regret that our typical American, non reader, public, will never even get a sniff of the reality of political games playing.

I strongly suspect that the general descriptions within the texts will also fit the political scenarios of other nations.

I suspect you are right. You've so whetted my appetite that I'm going to get the book for myself. Presumably, government-appointed scientific advisors (where there are such appointments), either they don't have much clout or they become 'yes people'.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

xSilverPhinx

The first of a four-part series. I'm liking it so far and recommended it to those who like historical fiction.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

OldGit

The Ancestor's Tale, by Richard Dawkins.  Fascinating.

MariaEvri

at work Im reading the eaters of the dead by Michael chrichton
At home I'm reading "I am legend" by Richard Mattheson and "I Robot" by isaac Asimov
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

No one

Dave

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tom62

I'm reading Harry Harrison's Bill, the Galactic Hero: The Final Incoherent Adventure,which is a good end to the series.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Dave

Quote from: Tank on July 02, 2017, 08:17:19 PM
Quote from: Gloucester on July 02, 2017, 08:01:07 PM
Quote from: No one on July 02, 2017, 07:17:09 PM
The writing on the wall.
And what does it say?

Bill stickers will be prosecuted.
Poor old Bill. Let's start a campaign, "Bill Stickers is innocent!" "Stand up for Bill Stickers!" "Today they came for Bill Stickers, the might come for you tomorrow!"
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Essie Mae

Five Days by Douglas Kennedy. A light read; bit like Bridges of Madison County. Only one third in and all I can say is that the writing is very straightforward and would especially appeal to those who love words.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Claireliontamer

Finally going to read 'A Man Called Ove', sorry I'm miles behind with the bookclub!

Icarus

Quote from: No one on July 02, 2017, 07:17:09 PM
The writing on the wall.

Naughty for you to mention that book No One

The actual name of the book is Spots On The Wall. The author is a Chinese person named Hu Slung Cum

Will I be banished for such a breach of decorum as the above?
[/size]

Velma

Just finished Imago, the third book in Octavia E. Butler's Xenogenesis trilogy. I'm reading Devil's Star by Jo Nesbo and Hounded by Kevin Hearne. Saturday, I plan on starting Hillbilly Elegy.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Claireliontamer on July 03, 2017, 10:09:57 AM
Finally going to read 'A Man Called Ove', sorry I'm miles behind with the bookclub!

We don't care, jump in any time!
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany