News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Lent

Started by Dave, March 15, 2017, 08:54:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

What have you lent recently and how was the experience for you?

I lent my neighbour a spanner for "a quick job" a week ago. Will I have to give his nuts a twist to get it back I am wondering.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Icarus

Somewhere back in time I learned that the surest and fastest way to lose a friend is to loan them money. The second quickest way is to lend them your tools.

Tank

I have two sets of tools. Mine and a lending set. The lending set is all my old stuff.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Arturo

The hell is lent? I've heard of it but never actually looked it up. If has something to do with lending then I don't really lend things out often. The last time I lent something out was a movie to my uncle that he never actually watched. When I asked for it back he tried to watch it and fell asleep.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Ecurb Noselrub

Did Adam have a belly button?

No, he gave it up for Lent.

xSilverPhinx

And here I was thinking this thread was going to be about abstaining from eating red meat and going for fish instead. :lol:

I like fish.  :yum:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Hmm...last thing I lent was back in 2002 and I didn't get it back, it was guide to drawing dogs book. Not a good experience so I simply haven't lent anything to anyone since.  :folded:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 16, 2017, 01:20:04 AM
And here I was thinking this thread was going to be about abstaining from eating red meat and going for fish instead. :lol:

I like fish.  :yum:

I thought you were supposed to give uo things you like!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

OldGit

Lending tools or books is a sure way to lose them.  As for Lent - what a load of old cobblers!

Dragonia

I will only loan things, including money, if I expect to never get it back. Then when I do get it back, I'm happy, and if I dont, I can still love that person. So there have been a few times when I've had to make an excuse to not loan something because it's too risky. But for the most part, I can imagine a happy life without receiving most things back.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Tank

Quote from: Dragonia on March 16, 2017, 02:33:45 PM
I will only loan things, including money, if I expect to never get it back. Then when I do get it back, I'm happy, and if I dont, I can still love that person. So there have been a few times when I've had to make an excuse to not loan something because it's too risky. But for the most part, I can imagine a happy life without receiving most things back.
This. It was one piece of advice my dad gave me. "If you can't afford to lose it don't bet it or lend it."
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

joeactor

Quote from: Tank on March 16, 2017, 06:00:04 PM
Quote from: Dragonia on March 16, 2017, 02:33:45 PM
This. It was one piece of advice my dad gave me. "If you can't afford to lose it don't bet it or lend it."

Good advice indeed.

My dad used to tell me "I wish I had your nose full of dimes... I could retire!"

Biggus Dickus

When I was young, wild, and free I had a beautiful Brook's Cafe Racer, brown leather jacket that fit me like the goddesses has sewn it on me while I was naked and wet, I mean it fit me fucking perfect.

I loved that jacket as much as anything in life, and never let anyone wear it, let alone borrow it.

There was this strip club in Detroit right on Michigan Avenue I would stop at once in a while, besides the ladies they played good music, had decent beer on tap, and even had a couple pool tables.

I wasn't really a strip-club type of guy, but this place had some rustic style to it that I liked, I mean it was a bar first and foremost, with beer, music and pool, the ladies who danced there were almost a distraction.

So I started to go out with one of the girls for a while, nothing serious, but I would stop by sometimes the nights she was dancing,you know get there about one o'clock in the morning, hang out an hour or so until last call, and then her and I would head out for the rest of the night.

One evening she forgot her coat at the bar, and it was too late for us to go back and get it, due to the fact that it was not only cold out that night, but as as stripper she didn't really have much as far as clothes on, I fucking "Lent" her my jacket.

Big mistake...she ended up quitting the bar or getting fired, I'm not sure and I was never able to get a straight answer from the bouncer at the club, and the owner was a pompous ass who wouldn't talk to me. To top it off she didn't have a phone at the place she was staying, and when I finally went there to try and find her I only come to find out she had moved out without leaving a forward fucking address.

One night some time later one of the other girls at the bar told me she heard this girl was dancing at another club in the city, so I headed up there with the sole purpose of getting my fucking jacket back.

I get to the club and find out she's not working that night, but as I looking around this place I notice a guy who used to hang around the old bar where I met her, whom someone had told me she used to date sitting ringside of a dance table, wearing my fucking jacket.

I wake up to this dude, and I ask him where did he get the jacket, and of course he tells me to go fuck-off,...so I ask him again, this time asking him if "she" gave it to him, and he tells me once again to go fuck-off,...so I ask him a third time, but this time not so friendly as the first two times.
I tell him to fucking open the jacket up, and let me see the inside left-breast pocket, because there was a small patch sewed in the lining in red silk were I had torn a hole.
For the third time this dude tells me to go fuck-off, but this time he stands up,...so I reach out to open the jacket so I can see myself whether the jacket was mine or not, but he wasn't going to have any of that, and grabbed my arm.
So I hit him with a left hook to the side of his face, and dropped him to the floor on his knees, then lifted him up by the collar and head-butted him right in the nose.
Just as I'm sliding the zipper down my jacket these two giant, non-human bouncer's from the club grab me and proceed to carry me out of the club through the back door, and into the alley were to my dismay they literally kick the shit out of me.
As I'm laying there in the filth of the alley they let me know that under no circumstances am I allowed back into the bar, and if they even see my out in front loitering they'll fuck me up even worse.

Apparently this dick-head wearing my jacket was good friends with the owner.

To top this whole story off the next day one of my friends was getting married, and  I was one of the groomsmen. His wife was completely pissed off at me for looking like shit at the wedding, black-eye, split-lip, face all swollen up on one side, plus one of my nostrils was cut so I had to put a plug up my nose, which I did take out for pictures. (I think she overreacted a bit, not like the groom was any great catch or anything,... they've since divorced many years ago)

Anyway I never got my jacket back, and it burns me to this day. To think that fucking grease ball bum was wearing my favorite jacket,...plus, I never even saw her again, as I think I was at least owed some explanation as to why she gave my jacket away in the first place, especially to that bum.

So like Tank's dad said, "If you can't afford to loose it, don't bet it or lend it",...and don't date strippers.

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Icarus

I said before that Bruno has a talent for writing. That time, before, I was serious..... This time....well maybe he made that jacket story up but it is a damn good story anyway.  If I had written that story I'd have had my Homies go trash that place and beat the hell out of the dude with the stolen jacket. Not while he was wearing the jacket on account of blood and all. and If I ever caught up with the thieving stripper bitch, I'd have her thrown in the Detroit river or maybe Lake Michigan. Nah, make that lake Erie 'cause we need to be sure the body does not wash ashore at Grosse Pointe park and get the cops all curious.

Just joking Bruno. Losing something that you like particularly well is not humorous.

Pasta Chick

I lent BF my GPS last night since he was going to look at bike after work today, but he left it on the kitchen table this morning. I guess maybe I'm bad at lending but I feel more like he's bad at being lent.