News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Are you a "somewhere" or an "anywhere" person?

Started by Dave, March 13, 2017, 10:23:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

A bloke called David Goodhart has come up with new labels with which to classify people. I think they are interesting because they integrate aspects of personality in a slightly different way.

As I understand it, from an item in a radio prog and too scant a reading...

Conventionaly the "somewheres" are the conservatives and the "anywheres" the liberals. "Somewheres", as the label implies, need to be "located", they need a nation, a tribe, a family, a club or whatever. They need external structure within which to operate. This might be a hierarchical system/class/group system, a political party, a team, a group of fellow football, or whatever, supporters. They tend to be nationalistic and vote for things like Brexit and Trumpian politics. They tend to seek patrony and the approbation of others.

"Anywheres" are happy to live anywhere providing they are given the means to achieve their aims. Less clannish, more independent of action and thought, more inclined to construct their own value set within the common ethical and moral frame (mostly). But if they deviate it is due to a personally considered plan rather than a flock tendency; there will be a rationale, rather than a rationalisation, behind their actions.

Probably not so different from other ideas, other ways of dividing humans into types - but, somehow, I like the implications of constraint and freedom. As a wanna-be anarchist I would, of course, want to embrace the "Anywhere" label. In truth . . . Well, that's another stiry!

Ah, here is the whole thing - much more in it than I have mentioned above of course. The "portability" of the "anywhere's" attributes is very important. Is this why foreign students and researchers are valuable, it is not only their knowledge they bring but an attitude.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Arturo

I think I fit snugly into the "anywheres" category.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

No one

Arturo

It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Icarus

Dragonia

Very much an "Anywhere" person. As demonstrated by my life. Even back when I was a christian, I was an Anywhere.
And now, after reading it so many times, the word "anywhere" is starting to look funny   ;D
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

joeactor

I'm a, uh, SomeAnyWhere person...

Got traits of both types. Like my structure, tribe, etc, but tend to vote liberal and be more of a thinker. Also can adapt to new places, but don't like moving.

There are two types of people in the world: those that divide the world into two types, and those who don't!

Dave

Quote from: joeactor on March 14, 2017, 01:44:22 PM
I'm a, uh, SomeAnyWhere person...

Got traits of both types. Like my structure, tribe, etc, but tend to vote liberal and be more of a thinker. Also can adapt to new places, but don't like moving.

There are two types of people in the world: those that divide the world into two types, and those who don't!
Yes, I can definitely relate to that, Joe!

When in tbe RAF I disliked the rigid structure of the hierarchy, the rigidly set rules (OK, some, like those relating to aircraft and arms safety, were absolutely essential and, basically, are reflected in the rules of the road etc. in civvy street.)

However, when  I left I found myself in a kind of limbo, from which, in some ways I have never recovered. But, now retired I have fewer rules to have to stick to, the freedom to, largely, plan my own use of my time and have no "superiors" to please - much more "anywhere"!

Hence my "... another story", my basic "anywhere" was modified by nearly 12 years of enforced "somewhere" soon after the 10 years of the "somewhere" of school.

Hmm, "anywhere" people in "somewhere" jobs or environments . . . Disonance.

Davin

I lean more towards being a somewhere person with some exceptions. But I want people to be fine anywhere.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Dave

Perhaps, a bit like that concept of "melant'i" from sci-fi some of us are whatever we need to be in any given situation.

Hang on, you would need to be an "Anywhere" to be able to be that flexible!

:D

Davin

What I always find true about attempts to categorize people into two groups, is that I never belong to just one side of the divide. I feel like this is true for almost everyone. And it's not exactly a sliding scale either, there are extreme points I agree with on either side. I love categorizing things, but the one truth that I've had to learn to live with, is that no matter how many boxes I use, they are not sufficient enough to accurately represent the world. I still use them to organize and categorize because that is useful to me, but with the understanding that the world is far more complex.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey