News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Making a Survey

Started by Arturo, March 09, 2017, 06:22:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arturo

I want to make a survey to ask around town (and maybe you can too if you want) and need help coming up with questions. The questions are education and science based and the aim is to get an idea of people's opinions on the importance of education in our society (USA). The reason I'm doing this is because I heard of this idea of anti-intellectualism sweeping America and I want to see if that is true.

So I ask of you to help come up with questions and to ask them in your area if you can. This is what I have so far:

1. On a scale from 0 to 10, how important do you believe education is to our society? 0 being not important and 10 being very important.

2. What role do you believe education has in our society?

3. What is your education level?

4. Do you think man made global warming is real?

5. Do you believe college should be free?[/li][/list]

Of course age will be added in somewhere but I'm not sure where yet.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

I think the experience of education plays an important part in how much is absorbed and how it affects development - but that is a whole bunch of stuff on its own!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tank

Before you ask any information questions settle the person in with questions they can answer and that allow you to put their later answers into context.

1. What is your eduction level?

2. Why did you stop your education?

3. Did you use your education in the career you went into? If not why not?

4. How much did you pay for your eduction? 

5. Do you think your education was worth the money spent on it? If not why not?

6. If future who do you think should pay for a student college education? A) The student, B) the taxpayer, C) other. _______

x. Do you think that global warming is happening? If you do think it is happening what do you think is causing it?

y. What effects, if any, do you think education has on society?

z. If there were no education system what do you think would happen to society?

Your question 4, 'Do you think man made global warming is real?' is truly appalling it's loaded and leading. Question x is neither loaded, leading or judgemental.
Question 1 give you no idea why the person responds the way they do. However y and z are two contra open questions that will give effective responses.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

Anti-intellectualism isn't the same as anti-education. All people go through some form of education. Consider your question again and re-frame it please.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

No one

1. What is your education level?
Elventy treeve

2. Why did you stop your education?
Became a Devil Dog

3. Did you use your education in the career you went into? If not why not?
Somewhat. Life is what happens while you're making other plans.

4. How much did you pay for your education?
Only time, energy, and part of my childhood

5. Do you think your education was worth the money spent on it? If not why not?
Well, my lack of education hasn't hurt me none.

6. If future who do you think should pay for a student college education? A) The student, B) the taxpayer, C) other. _______
Big Brother

x. Do you think that global warming is happening? If you do think it is happening what do you think is causing it?
Yes. It's a natural occurrence. Sure, humans have some contribution to the matter, but not nearly as much as they give themselves credit for.

y. What effects, if any, do you think education has on society?
Houses, The Hellcat Demon, trade, weapons, destruction, etc. etc.

z. If there were no education system what do you think would happen to society?
Dark ages.

Pasta Chick

I would consider looking at a site like Survey Monkey if you're serious about reaching a broad audience. Town wide results will only give you a view of that town. I have no problem sharing surveys with people via social media but I honestly do not have the time or inclination to go door to door with a survey and process that data (nor do I feel particularly safe doing so).

Arturo

Quote from: Pasta Chick on March 10, 2017, 02:48:41 AM
I would consider looking at a site like Survey Monkey if you're serious about reaching a broad audience. Town wide results will only give you a view of that town. I have no problem sharing surveys with people via social media but I honestly do not have the time or inclination to go door to door with a survey and process that data (nor do I feel particularly safe doing so).

I'll consider doing that. I was doing only my town because I was unaware of sites like that.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Tank

Quote from: Arturo on March 10, 2017, 03:59:27 AM

I'll consider doing that. I was doing only my town because I was unaware of sites like that.

Survey Monkey is good and worth considering. It also doesn't put the pollster at risk of being punched. But you have to phrase your questions so you don't get a self selecting audience that is biased towards the subject matter and wants to answer the survey to make a point.

Arturo

Quote from: Tank on March 10, 2017, 06:40:54 AM
Quote from: Arturo on March 10, 2017, 03:59:27 AM

Survey Monkey is good and worth considering. It also doesn't put the pollster at risk of being punched. But you have to phrase your questions so you don't get a self selecting audience that is biased towards the subject matter and wants to answer the survey to make a point.

Yeah even though I didn't expect the response I got, that was the point of posting these questions in the first place since I'm not used to doing this. Also I'll be coming back to this since I need to more clearly define intellectualism and what it means to be against it.
     Arturo The1  リ壱