News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

How long can you stand to work?

Started by Arturo, February 13, 2017, 06:09:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arturo

In a typical day, how long can you stand to be at work and what influences that?
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Buddy

Usually anywhere from 6-8 hours but recently I've been pulling 10-11 hour days usually 9 days in a row. I can feel what little faith I had in humanity get crushed more and more by the day.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Asmodean

My typical work day is around 8 productive work hours. Thus, on days which involve a lot of traveling, I may technically be at work for 14-15 hours. In any event, I'm more or less free to come and go as I will as long as the job gets done... In my case, it mostly causes overtime rather than shorter work days though, and that's sort of how I like it.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Dave

Ha! Too early fir me! I misread the OP to mean "standing at work".  :grin:

I was rarely a clock watcher in my last job. If the project was interesting I often worked a bit of unpaid overtime. Job quality/satisfaction is so very important.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Asmodean

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Dave

Quote from: Asmodean on February 13, 2017, 09:32:04 AM
Quote from: Gloucester on February 13, 2017, 08:57:26 AM
Job quality/satisfaction is so very important.
This. Very much so.

On reflection drop the "quality" out of my statement. "Quality" is a loaded thing, implies "better", the subjective judgement  of "worth".

Whether needing highly educated, intellectual effort - as in computer engineering - or the application of people skills - as in waitressing - matters not to the person performing those functions if they"fit".

viocjit

Dave

Dragonia

Quote from: Buddy on February 13, 2017, 06:52:37 AM
Usually anywhere from 6-8 hours but recently I've been pulling 10-11 hour days usually 9 days in a row. I can feel what little faith I had in humanity get crushed more and more by the day.
Buddy, what do you do for work?
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Dragonia

When I used to work at a "real " job, I would work 4 10-hour days. But it was so busy, the days would usually fly by. And I do get great satisfaction from a job well done, so if I had to work a little extra time, you wouldn't hear me complaining, unless I had plans. Now my schedule is weird,  so I can't answer as neatly for my current situation.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Davin

I've been able to work all day, well almost 24 hours, I did get some breaks. In one three day period (more like 2.5 days), I worked 46 hours due to a string of unfortunate events and me looking so terrible normally that no one can tell when I am tired.

I've also gone through periods of time where I had three jobs working about 120 hours a week.

Right now, I work about 40 hours a week and that's it. I could probably go back to be overworked, but I'm old now.

If it's occasional, I think that working extra is fine. If it's overtime all the time then it's bad. And it's worse if it's unpaid overtime.

I can put myself through a lot, and the only people that suffer are those around me because I lose my ability to interact well.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Pasta Chick

I'm either on or off... Once I'm on I'd rather stay on and especially with the commute longer shifts mean less driving for the same hours. These days I'm typically 10-12 hours but I've done longer. As long as I'm allowed to eat now and then it's fine.

Tom62

My overtime isn't paid, so I do my utmost not to work for free.
So, basically I work 7.42 hours per day.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Buddy

Quote from: Dragonia on February 13, 2017, 03:16:46 PM
Quote from: Buddy on February 13, 2017, 06:52:37 AM
Buddy, what do you do for work?

I'm a waitress. As much bullshit as I put up with I can't think of another job that I can make 100 dollars over an 8 hour shift without a degree. Of course, that all hinges on whether or not you can pretend to like people  ;)

And honestly, I try not to complain too much because my boyfriend works on the grill line and he puts up with just as much crap with added heat and up to 14 hour days.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Firebird

Quote from: Buddy on February 13, 2017, 06:37:34 PM
And honestly, I try not to complain too much because my boyfriend works on the grill line and he puts up with just as much crap with added heat and up to 14 hour days.

Hey, you're dating him now, congrats!

Anyway, back on topic. I'm lucky that my current job is very flexible, as long as I put in the requisite 40 hours. Usually ends up more like 45, worse on weeks when I'm on call (maybe 50 then?), but I'm not complaining after my last job when I was working 60-70 hours towards the end. But that was due to one idiotic manager and a project we all knew was doomed from the start. This amount is ideal for me.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"