News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Recent Near Misses

Started by Recusant, February 04, 2017, 03:06:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

On Thursday, February 2, an asteroid named 2017 BS32 came past the Earth at a distance of 101,214 miles (162,888 km). In astronomical terms, that's rather close. It's going to be back, but since it's estimated to be about 39 feet in diameter, even if it did hit it probably wouldn't cause much damage.

According to the article linked above, 2017 BS32 is the third asteroid in just the past four weeks to fly by within the orbit of the Moon. I did a search, and I also found 2017 AG13 (9 January), and 2017 BH30 (30 January). However, that last article mentions a near miss by 2017 BX (25 January), so it seems like there have been four. :thoughtful:

It's been a busy neighborhood recently!  :)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

No one

OldGit

Quote from: Recusant since it's estimated to be about 39 feet in diameter, even if it did hit it probably wouldn't cause much damage.

Well, I don't want it falling in my garden.

Dave

Quote from: No one on February 04, 2017, 05:00:07 AM
A collision is a near miss

If it hits smack in the middle it is a total miss of a miss.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: OldGit on February 04, 2017, 10:25:14 AM
Quote from: Recusant since it's estimated to be about 39 feet in diameter, even if it did hit it probably wouldn't cause much damage.

Well, I don't want it falling in my garden.

Are you sure? It would be worth a fortune. ;D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Ecurb Noselrub

On the issue of how big the asteroid would have to be to even make it to earth, I found this:

"Consider a specific example. The Leonids arrive at the top of the atmosphere at 7272 km/s with a maximal mass of around 0.50.5 g. According to the article these particles are 0.010.01 m across. They reach the ground. If such a particle strikes the 3030 km high atmosphere at 4545 degrees it must travel around 4×1044×104 m before it hits the ground, mostly burning up. If it started at rest at the top of the atmosphere it would only accelerate to about 11 km/s. As you can see it very much depends on azimuth, latitude, meteor composition, and speed."

So, it depends. Let's hope for those that hit at 45 degrees.

Dave

Hmm, surely the angle is also critucal? You missed that off the list but mentioned 45 degrees at the end.

Between a xkimming tangential miss and a 90 degree hit is a whole lot of variables!

If it had to be a hit I would go for something going fast anf through the maximum amount of atmoshpere - assuming that journey would burn off the most mass and do the most atmospheric braking?

The 2013 Chelyabinsk meteor was a NEO that was approx 20m and maybe weighed 12 kilotonnes.

QuoteOn account of its high velocity and shallow angle of atmospheric entry, the object exploded in an air burst over Chelyabinsk Oblast, at a height of around 29.7 km (18.5 mi; 97,000 ft).

So only small bits were found.

At 45 degrees it might have dug a very large hole!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelyabinsk_meteor#

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Gloucester on February 04, 2017, 10:07:38 PM
Hmm, surely the angle is also critucal? You missed that off the list but mentioned 45 degrees at the end.

Between a xkimming tangential miss and a 90 degree hit is a whole lot of variables!

If it had to be a hit I would go for something going fast anf through the maximum amount of atmoshpere - assuming that journey would burn off the most mass and do the most atmospheric braking?

The 2013 Chelyabinsk meteor was a NEO that was approx 20m and maybe weighed 12 kilotonnes.

QuoteOn account of its high velocity and shallow angle of atmospheric entry, the object exploded in an air burst over Chelyabinsk Oblast, at a height of around 29.7 km (18.5 mi; 97,000 ft).

So only small bits were found.

At 45 degrees it might have dug a very large hole!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelyabinsk_meteor#

You know, I assumed that the "4545" degrees meant 45 degrees as an angle and just wrote 45 too many times.  Maybe he meant temperature.  Yes, the angle is important. At straight on it goes thru less atmosphere. 

Recusant

Is this an offline resource, Ecurb Noselrub? It sounds like an interesting article.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Recusant on February 05, 2017, 03:03:01 PM
Is this an offline resource, Ecurb Noselrub? It sounds like an interesting article.

It was just a physics blog.      http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/47754/minimum-size-of-an-asteroid-to-actually-impact-earth

I should have cited it to begin with.

Recusant

— H. L. Mencken

OldGit

A small object landed close to me yesterday,  but maybe a pigeon was responsible.

Icarus

:)  OG is ever the shrewd comedian......

Recusant

In a few days, this one will qualify for the thread.  ;)

"A large asteroid is due to pass on April 29" | EarthSky

QuoteA big – very big – asteroid will pass relatively close to Earth on April 29, 2020. Asteroid (52768) 1998 OR2 will pass at a safe distance, at some 4 million miles (6 million km), or about 16 times the Earth-moon distance. It'll be the biggest asteroid to fly by Earth this year (that we know about so far); according to current estimates, it's probably a bit over a mile wide (2 km) and maybe twice that long. Closest approach will be April 29 around 5:56 a.m. Eastern Daylight Time (09:56 UTC; translate UTC to your time). Professional observatories have been pointing their telescopes at the huge space rock already. Amateur astronomers with smaller telescopes will also have an opportunity to see it as a slow-moving "star."

[Continues (including some GIF images of the asteroid)]
— H. L. Mencken

billy rubin

i find these things fascinating.

mostly because, geologically, they are not particularly rare.

and also because of hell creek, which would have changed my life had i known about at a different time.

plus 1

set the function, not the mechanism.