News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

How Do You Relieve Stress?

Started by xSilverPhinx, February 04, 2017, 12:40:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

I'd like to know other people's strategies for relieving stress. Do you exercise? Meditate?  Let it build up inside until you have a full blown meltdown?

I tend to burn out, and it doesn't take much to reach that state these days. It becomes harder to get things done, which only feeds into the cycle.

My advisor has squishy brain shaped toys in his office. I saw those things and felt this incredible urge to get a couple for myself. Since I'm practically always fidgeting with something (one hand on the mouse and another twirling a pen or something while I'm reading), those squishy things look very tempting. :grin: Voodoo dolls would be a close second.

Does anyone know of some interesting ways to de-stress that don't require huge amounts of motivation? What do you do?
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

No one

Blistering cardio.
Weight lifting.
Grand Theft Auto.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: No one on February 04, 2017, 12:43:46 AM
Blistering cardio.

Did that, lack both the motivation and time now. It does work, though.

QuoteWeight lifting.

Never tried that. :notsure:

QuoteGrand Theft Auto.

I never played any game of that franchise before (I'm going to assume you meant the videogames ;) ), but they do look like they let you let out some steam. ;D

Ooh! Minecraft on creative mode!

Pasta Chick

I used to play flyball, but that seems to be adding stress lately. Getting to yell, run, and catch a 65lb Malinois with one arm is somehow cathartic.

So basically I just let things fester until breaking, yeah.

hermes2015

Stack and slam wedging a 15 kg lump of clay.

Listening to music.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Arturo

I poured all my sadness into weight lifting. Vitamin D helps too.

I poured all my...excitement? into meditating. Basically if I'm feeling my environment is getting too fast paced for me and making my thoughts rush as well, then I sit and listen to some calming music or ambient sounds.

My anger seems to be heading toward something constructive in the future.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

Have not suffered stress since I had my almost fatal heart attack, puts things into perspective.

But I do not recommend that as a "cure"!!  :sadshake:
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Arturo

Quote from: Gloucester on February 04, 2017, 07:03:04 AM
Have not suffered stress since I had my almost fatal heart attack, puts things into perspective.

My mental condition is triggered by stress. I feel you on that one.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Bad Penny II

Quote from: No one on February 04, 2017, 12:43:46 AM
Blistering cardio.
Weight lifting.
Grand Theft Auto.

I don't think video games are a good idea, besides their general corrupting effect on users, specifically in regard to stress they are ungood.  Your bod gets all het up like it's doing something really active but it's not, chemicals are produced but not used as they would be in physical activity.  I'm not being too scientific am I?

Walking is good if there's somewhere safe to do it, the activity has benefit and it's a meditative.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Dave

Quote from: Apathy on February 04, 2017, 07:15:42 AM

My mental condition is triggered by stress. I feel you on that one.

Though very difficult to achieve, for most, the recognition and avoidance of stress "triggers" can help a grest deal. Violent games, computer or otherwise, might help for some but make others worse.

"Contemplative" violence, as with some Eastern martial arts, carried out with the right motive, seems to have helped some find a new place within themselves. But it can be a "side effect" that requires constant "topping up." Perhaps a therapy rather than a cure.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Pasta Chick on February 04, 2017, 04:27:44 AM
I used to play flyball, but that seems to be adding stress lately. Getting to yell, run, and catch a 65lb Malinois with one arm is somehow cathartic.

If they don't take your arm with them! :lol: I don't know the breed, but they look like really active dogs.

QuoteSo basically I just let things fester until breaking, yeah.

It's a terrible thing to do.  :sadnod:

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on February 04, 2017, 04:34:04 AM
Stack and slam wedging a 15 kg lump of clay.

Sure you haven't been doing that to The Grumpy Asmo?  :asmo:

:lol:

QuoteListening to music.

That's a good one!

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Apathy on February 04, 2017, 05:09:16 AM
I poured all my sadness into weight lifting. Vitamin D helps too.

I poured all my...excitement? into meditating. Basically if I'm feeling my environment is getting too fast paced for me and making my thoughts rush as well, then I sit and listen to some calming music or ambient sounds.

My anger seems to be heading toward something constructive in the future.

How's your writing coming along? 

xSilverPhinx

Yeah, I wouldn't want that for most people! :sadshake:

Was it a change in atitude that allowed you to manage stress better?

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on February 04, 2017, 03:06:56 PM

Yeah, I wouldn't want that for most people! :sadshake:

Was it a change in atitude that allowed you to manage stress better?

The full change came over a year or so, but there was an almost immediate relaxation in my attitudes, more acceptance that life is a bitch - and thrn you die!
;)

The shocks from my implant, that saved my life again, gave me another reminder of my mortality. After those I did suffer two fairly common problens - "out-of-the-blue" anxiety attacks, but I learned to cope with them after the second one, and a short lived fear of drifting off to sleep - a sensation too similar to the experience of going into a faint due to reduced blood supply to the brain.

But now, I have learned to comport my life in such a manner so as not to induce stress triggers. But I do have the advantage of not gaving to keep up with work and a boss, no rent or mortgage and an income that well covers my modest needs (and things like the £500 I have to find for water hester repairs). What studying I do is purely for pleasure and my only ambition is to enjoy as many tomorrows as possible.

The latter does mean keeping a gentle eye on what I eat and drink but this also allows for naughty treats now and again.

This does not stop me losing my rag at some things - but I don't let them stress me. I have shruggjng down to a gine art.