News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Photo Challenge Poll: 'Favourite Photos'

Started by Recusant, February 01, 2017, 04:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

hermes2015

Quote from: Recusant on February 15, 2017, 04:43:38 PM
The poll has closed and #5, a photo by hermes2015, has won this edition of the HAF Photo Challenge. Well done, hermes2015! :bravo:

As the winner, you get to choose the theme for the next photo challenge. 

Thank you to all who submitted images, and to all who voted.

Thank you Recusant and also to everyone else for the kind words.

It is probably quite obvious that photo #5 was taken in Santorini, one of my favourite places in the world.

I hope photo #12 shows how elated my partner Sajib was when we finally got to visit Niagara Falls. I think everything lines up nicely to lead the eye to the focal point: his happy face face and his little dance of joy.

The location of photo #18 is probably not as obvious as the other two. It was taken late one afternoon in Port Elizabeth, a city on the east coast of South Africa, when I was there on a business trip a few years ago.

I will try to think of a good theme for the next photo challenge.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Recusant

Quote from: hermes2015 on February 16, 2017, 09:57:30 AMIt is probably quite obvious that photo #5 was taken in Santorini, one of my favourite places in the world.

It looked quintessentially Mediterranean to me, but I did wonder if maybe South Africa has a place like that too.

Quote from: hermes2015 on February 16, 2017, 09:57:30 AMI will try to think of a good theme for the next photo challenge.

Thank you; I thought the last one you came up with was excellent--please don't take too long!  :)

The Storr (the large pinnacle is called "The Old Man of Storr"), on the Isle of Skye.

Dew in a spider's web, taken on the Côte de Granit Rose in Brittany.

Great blue heron, taken on the Anhinga Trail in Everglades National Park.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dragonia

Ah yes, congratulations Hermes!  I agree that you definitely have an eye for line and composition. Beautiful pictures!
And Tank, your 3 little pigs were super cute!
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

hermes2015

Quote from: Recusant on February 16, 2017, 04:46:02 PM
It looked quintessentially Mediterranean to me, but I did wonder if maybe South Africa has a place like that too.

Yes, there are areas that look and feel quite Mediterranean around Cape Town. Even the climate - hence its importance as an excellent wine producing region. There are suburbs of Cape Town that are very reminiscent of Monte Carlo. Google Bantry Bay, Sea Point, Llandudno, and Camps Bay to get some idea.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on February 17, 2017, 04:34:54 AM
Quote from: Recusant on February 16, 2017, 04:46:02 PM

Yes, there are areas that look and feel quite Mediterranean around Cape Town. Even the climate - hence its importance as an excellent wine producing region. There are suburbs of Cape Town that are very reminiscent of Monte Carlo. Google Bantry Bay, Sea Point, Llandudno, and Camps Bay to get some idea.

If I knew I had forgotten that you were in South Africa. Had a lovely meal at a wonderful restaurant in Camps Bay. And you're quite right it feels very Mediterranean.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Recusant

I think my favorites out of this lot (leaving aside my own of course!) were Dragonia's Indian pipe, Tank's pigs, and Lark's man with a horse.  :)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

The pigs had just eaten the contents of the bowl and so stuffed they fell asleep.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

I was very surprised that Recusant's heron didn't do better. The clarity and colours are wonderful.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on February 17, 2017, 06:27:43 PM
I was very surprised that Recusant's heron didn't do better. The clarity and colours are wonderful.

Yes, looks like a literal textbook image. :smilenod:

Unfortunately, we could only vote for 5 photos.  :shrug:  I would have loved to have voted for them all! :grin:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dragonia

Yes, the heron was a perfectly beautiful photograph!
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)