News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

A Stunning Photo of Jupiter

Started by Recusant, January 28, 2017, 04:12:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

A friend showed me this, and I thought it was definitely worth sharing.  :)

Image Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/SWRI/MSSS/Gerald Eichstaedt/John Rogers (source)

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dragonia

Wow, that's amazing! It almost looks like a swirly oil spill. I would buy pottery that was painted like this.  ;)
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Dave

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

That would look good framed and on my wall!  8)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Ecurb Noselrub

I was thinking of wall paper for my bathroom.

Biggus Dickus

Stunning and beautiful picture, it's unbelievable the quality of images we are able to produce now of our neighboring planets and their moons, and even of far off galaxies and other celestial bodies. Simply amazing.

Quote from: Dragonia on January 28, 2017, 04:46:54 AM
Wow, that's amazing! It almost looks like a swirly oil spill. I would buy pottery that was painted like this.  ;)

My thought as well, looks like a painting,... so of course one must ask if not a creator, an artist surely?
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Dave

Quote from: Father Bruno on January 29, 2017, 02:01:57 PM
Stunning and beautiful picture, it's unbelievable the quality of images we are able to produce now of our neighboring planets and their moons, and even of far off galaxies and other celestial bodies. Simply amazing.

Quote from: Dragonia on January 28, 2017, 04:46:54 AM

My thought as well, looks like a painting,... so of course one must ask if not a creator, an artist surely?

Nah, just physics!

But that does not stop it bring beautiful.

I remember Neil Derase Tyson waxing poetical over the images of stars that we see being their "ghosts". Bryan Cox just quietly said, "Neil, they're just photons."  ("Infinite monkey cage" prog on ghosts.)

Magdalena

Here's another great image of Jupiter.
I thought it was also worth sharing.  :)

It's huge! Look here.
QuoteNASA's Juno spacecraft soared directly over Jupiter's south pole when JunoCam acquired this image on Feb. 2, 2017, from an altitude of about 62,800 miles (101,000 kilometers) above the cloud tops. This image was processed by citizen scientist John Landino. This enhanced color version highlights the bright high clouds and numerous meandering oval storms.
Credits: NASA/JPL-Caltech/SwRI/MSSS/John Landino
JunoCam raw images
NASA's Juno Mission to Remain in Current Orbit at Jupiter

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Dave

^  It certainly was worth sharing!

Good one, Mags.

Icarus

Thanks for that Mags. It puts me in mind of an unfinished painting by Salvatore Dali while thinking of an old paisley necktie in my closet.

Magdalena

Quote from: Icarus on March 14, 2017, 11:31:33 PM
Thanks for that Mags. It puts me in mind of an unfinished painting by Salvatore Dali while thinking of an old paisley necktie in my closet.
Quote from: Gloucester on March 13, 2017, 06:41:41 AM
^  It certainly was worth sharing!

Good one, Mags.

:boaterhat: :boaterhat:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant