News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Alternative Facts

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, January 23, 2017, 12:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom62

Quote from: Davin on January 23, 2017, 06:56:09 PM
Maybe it's like alternative medicine, like homeopathy. That kind of makes sense, because they take a tiny bit of truth and distill it down over and over until it has barely any truth to it at all.

ROFL ;D
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Firebird

For anyone who didn't see it:

"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Arturo

It's nothing certain to go off of, but she looked awfully nervous when during and around the time she said "alternative facts". Maybe she knew she was lying?

Anyway what was this "falsehood" that was supposed to be mentioned?
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Davin

I think it was that The Press Sec lied by severely overestimating how many people showed up to Trump's inauguration.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Dave

Quote from: Firebird on January 23, 2017, 07:07:13 PM

I never cease to be amazed at the skills politicos and their minions exhibit in being able not to answer questions and to offer fantasies instead.

Never, ever, trust a politician.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Arturo

Quote from: Gloucester on January 23, 2017, 08:12:06 PM
Quote from: Firebird on January 23, 2017, 07:07:13 PM

I never cease to be amazed at the skills politicos and their minions exhibit in being able not to answer questions and to offer fantasies instead.

Never, ever, trust a politician.

It's nothing new, my Aunt said Trump has a lot of good ideas because politicians "forgot who they work for". But on that regard, things have gotten worse.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Tom62

^Hear, hear!

Never trust a politician:

"I'm not a crook"
"I didn't have sexual relations with that woman"
"Intelligence gathered by this and other governments leaves no doubt, that the Iraq regime continues to possess and conceal some of the most lethal weapons ever devised."
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Davin

Quote from: Gloucester on January 23, 2017, 08:12:06 PMNever, ever, trust a politician.
I feel like that's the path the lead to Trump. We have to be able to trust them, though not blindly. They are supposed to be our representatives, we are supposed to be able to trust them with the job. There are more honest ones out there, ones we can trust. But this blanket statement of "never trust a politician" is the same thing that many Trump supporters were rallying around. they voted for Trump because he wasn't a politician.

Maybe I'm being too sensitive, but I do think that there are politicians we can trust and we should be looking for more that we can trust.

Dave

Quote from: Davin on January 23, 2017, 08:26:44 PM
Quote from: Gloucester on January 23, 2017, 08:12:06 PMNever, ever, trust a politician.
I feel like that's the path the lead to Trump. We have to be able to trust them, though not blindly. They are supposed to be our representatives, we are supposed to be able to trust them with the job. There are more honest ones out there, ones we can trust. But this blanket statement of "never trust a politician" is the same thing that many Trump supporters were rallying around. they voted for Trump because he wasn't a politician.

Maybe I'm being too sensitive, but I do think that there are politicians we can trust and we should be looking for more that we can trust.

I agree up to a point, but actions speak louder than words!

Listening to our British politicians I notice that the idealists and those with a vocation rarely get out of the middle ranks.  Theresa May spent a long time and a lot of words not answering a question about the dodgy missile launch from a Royal Navy sub. Rather than make a bold "Not in the national interest..." reply and stickink to it she kept trying different diversions. Gained no respect from me.

The oppostion were obviously asking makicious questions that would serve no real purpose.

Only one MP i trust, in a limited way, and that is a Conservative who is a GP and who tells it how it is.

And, yes, the media play politics far too often.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Firebird

Agreed. Before Reagan, the electorate generally trusted the government to do the right thing. Reagan ushered in a period of cynicism towards government and its ability to help, and that mentality has persisted ever since. It's done enormous damage already. You can see Trump et al trying to do the same to the media now too with stunts like this. And unfortunately, it might still work, as you can see by people's attitudes towards the "mainstream media" .
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Arturo

Quote from: Firebird on January 23, 2017, 09:03:41 PM

Agreed. Before Reagan, the electorate generally trusted the government to do the right thing. Reagan ushered in a period of cynicism towards government and its ability to help, and that mentality has persisted ever since. It's done enormous damage already. You can see Trump et al trying to do the same to the media now too with stunts like this. And unfortunately, it might still work, as you can see by people's attitudes towards the "mainstream media" .
This is why critical thinking is such a requirement in every lives. Instead of just going off what is shown to us, we need to dive deeper into the sources of what is being told. And we need to know how to use critical thinking to filter good information from bad. The problem is, people don't want or know how to do that.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Davin

Quote from: Gloucester on January 23, 2017, 08:48:15 PM

I agree up to a point, but actions speak louder than words!

Listening to our British politicians I notice that the idealists and those with a vocation rarely get out of the middle ranks.  Theresa May spent a long time and a lot of words not answering a question about the dodgy missile launch from a Royal Navy sub. Rather than make a bold "Not in the national interest..." reply and stickink to it she kept trying different diversions. Gained no respect from me.

The oppostion were obviously asking makicious questions that would serve no real purpose.

Only one MP i trust, in a limited way, and that is a Conservative who is a GP and who tells it how it is.

And, yes, the media play politics far too often.
We as the people need to be careful not let our views get skewed by a few points of data. I think the mentality is what I have a problem with.

If people go around with the idea of, "never trust a politician," and a politician does something shitty, then they just go, "yep, never trust a politician," and shrug it off with a, "what are you going to do?" Generally.

But if people go around thinking, "we should be able to trust our representatives," and a politician does something shitty, then the response is more likely to be, "fuck that one politician in particular and get him/her out of the office that we entrusted him/her with."

I agree that actions used to speak louder than words, but now even when a politician does something shitty, people shrug it off and do little. How can you hold someone responsible if you never trusted them in the first place? Then they just keep doing what they're doing, maybe issue a non-apology, or in the case of Trump, evade and make more propaganda.

Davin

Yeah, my parents repeat that shit way too often even though my mother was anti-Reagan the slogan still stuck.

Like I mentioned in replying to Gloucester, I think we need to entrust them, even the bad ones, because we need to hold them responsible for their actions and not shrug off bad behavior like, "well, he is a politician, they all do that."

Arturo

Quote from: Davin on January 23, 2017, 09:25:36 PM

Yeah, my parents repeat that shit way too often even though my mother was anti-Reagan the slogan still stuck.

Like I mentioned in replying to Gloucester, I think we need to entrust them, even the bad ones, because we need to hold them responsible for their actions and not shrug off bad behavior like, "well, he is a politician, they all do that."
That is a good point. We sort of turned the politician into a descriminated second class, even though they are still the ruling class. Interesting.
     Arturo The1  リ壱