News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Alternative Facts

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, January 23, 2017, 12:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

Alternative Facts (Alt-Facts) is a phrase conjured up by Kellyanne Conway.  Thus we stroll further down the path of believing the lie. We can now have our own facts as well as our own opinions.  Conversation becomes more difficult.  Sigh.

Asmodean

Truth is democratic, unless the majority disagrees with you, or didn't you know?  ;)
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Asmodean on January 23, 2017, 12:38:40 PM
Truth is democratic, unless the majority disagrees with you, or didn't you know?  ;)

Yes, the winners make the facts, I suppose.

Dave

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Dave

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on January 23, 2017, 12:48:02 PM

Well, the winners had command of history in the old days, currently the Internet means history gets promulgated by all sides every minute. Just a case of which version Joe and Joan Public swallow day by day.

Hard to hide evidence like the size of the crowds. Of course, some will claim, photoshopping . . .

Dave

Just dicovered Politico, could be a favourite for me
First, his team will be very combative, even when the facts are not on their side, trusting that their political base dislikes the news media and will believe them no matter what. Sometimes, they are likely to muddy the water or throw a hand grenade into a political debate just to change the headlines.

solidsquid

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on January 23, 2017, 12:36:14 PM
Alternative Facts (Alt-Facts) is a phrase conjured up by Kellyanne Conway.  Thus we stroll further down the path of believing the lie. We can now have our own facts as well as our own opinions.  Conversation becomes more difficult.  Sigh.

What are alternative facts?  Like trivia about grunge bands or something?

Davin

Quote from: solidsquid on January 23, 2017, 02:53:43 PM

What are alternative facts?  Like trivia about grunge bands or something?
If it's anything like the Alt-right, then they are racist "facts."
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Recusant

I don't think anybody is strolling along with Conway except the people who were willing to swallow lies from her and Trump all along. The rest of us agree with Chuck Todd's response to her: "Alternative facts are not facts, they're falsehoods."

She also issued some sort of threat about how the Trump administration would "revisit our relationship with the press." Constantly calling them "disgusting--the most dishonest human beings on Earth" apparently isn't enough now.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tom62

My 2cts. How factual is the press? I've noticed that the yellow press is more prominent than ever. What I find in many newspapers are opinions and insinuations instead of a real journalistic, well investigated facts. It doesn't seem to make much of a different whether the newspaper is liberal or right wing. The press has a great influence, but barely take any responsibility.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Pasta Chick

"History is a set of lies agreed upon"
- Napoleon

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Pasta Chick on January 23, 2017, 06:01:16 PM

"History is a set of lies agreed upon"
- Napoleon

And..."Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell

Meanwhile the Twitter is coming up with some funny alternative fact tweets under the header: #AlternativeFacts such as, I love Mondays#AlternativeFacts
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Dave

Quote from: Tom62 on January 23, 2017, 05:56:51 PM
My 2cts. How factual is the press? I've noticed that the yellow press is more prominent than ever. What I find in many newspapers are opinions and insinuations instead of a real journalistic, well investigated facts. It doesn't seem to make much of a different whether the newspaper is liberal or right wing. The press has a great influence, but barely take any responsibility.

That is why I gave up buying papers decades ago. I do not give a damn what the journo or editor thinks the facts are: the reporting of things that actually happen, without frills, without opinions, is what I prefer.

Arturo

I saw the "Alternative Facts" headline on TV last night while at the gym. Didn't know what it referred to but all I know is that is more bullshit they are throwing down people's throats. There is no such thing as an "alternative fact"
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Davin

Maybe it's like alternative medicine, like homeopathy. That kind of makes sense, because they take a tiny bit of truth and distill it down over and over until it has barely any truth to it at all.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.