News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Reasons to Fear the End O' Times.

Started by Biggus Dickus, January 19, 2017, 03:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pasta Chick

It will be a great speech, a tremendous speech. One of the best speeches you've ever heard. Other speeches will tremble in awe from the greatness of this tremendous speech. After all he's the best at speaking; I'll tell you what, in business he speaks a lot. And business will make America great again. We'll do that by being really just super at business until we have the best businesses again...

For like a fucking hour

Firebird

Quote from: Tom62 on January 20, 2017, 06:51:51 AM
Would Trump really be such a bad president, like J.W. Bush was (or worse)?
There are lot of things that I don't like about Trump, but some of his politics would be beneficial.
For example, to invest money in the infrastructure is a very good idea.

Sure, if it's the government spending directly on infrastructure. That's not what Trump is planning to do. He basically wants to give tax breaks to private developers who then reap the benefits:

Build he won't

To understand what's going on, it may be helpful to start with what we should be doing. The federal government can indeed borrow very cheaply; meanwhile, we really need to spend money on everything from sewage treatment to transit. The indicated course of action, then, is simple: borrow at those low, low rates, and use the funds raised to fix what needs fixing.
But that's not what the Trump team is proposing. Instead, it's calling for huge tax credits: billions of dollars in checks written to private companies that invest in approved projects, which they would end up owning. For example, imagine a private consortium building a toll road for $1 billion. Under the Trump plan, the consortium might borrow $800 million while putting up $200 million in equity — but it would get a tax credit of 82 percent of that sum, so that its actual outlays would only be $36 million. And any future revenue from tolls would go to the people who put up that $36 million.

Reducing military expenditure is another one.
Nope, now he wants to increase it:

Trump's military spending flip-flop

The turnaround is the latest example of the confusing and often contradictory positions that Trump has staked out on the military. Just three months from Election Day, he has yet to even lay out a specific defense policy program.

He has, however, repeatedly called the military a "disaster" as a result of the policies pursued by the Obama administration and the GOP-led Congress, and he's vowing to rebuild it.

"I'm going to make our military so big, so powerful, so strong, that nobody — absolutely nobody — is going to mess with us," Trump says in a 23-second video stating his position on "the military" on his campaign website.

Having a better relationship with Russia is not so bad either.

Really?
They don't have a good relationship with Russia because Russia's trying to manipulate democracies in what they perceive to be "their" territory, like Ukraine and Georgia, and funding far-right groups in Europe to undermine NATO. Not to mention the US.
Also, that dossier they keep bringing up? The golden showers are not the problem. The problem is that the Russians may be laundering money through his properties by buying them up, in return for turning a blind eye to Ukraine and removing it from the GOP platform. Now he's talking about removing the sanctions imposed on them because of how they screwed with Ukraine.
If "good relations" with Russia means allowing them to manipulate the world and my country, I want nothing to do with it, and neither should you.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Davin

One of my paranoid thoughts, though I'm not convinced by it, but I thought it was a good idea for a novel. If Russia wanted to disrupt the American Government to weaken us, they try to hurt the democratic process by interfering and then even beyond what they expected, their candidate gets elected. So do they waste their chance? Hell no, they go in to put into place, people that would either intentionally destroy what their position is supposed to oversee or is just wholly unqualified. Which will weaken America even more than it already was getting weakened.

One thing I think would be hilarious, is if it is true, that Trump is going to go for an oppressive government, in which case they will have voted for the very person they were scared of... and Trump is going to need all those private guns.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Dave

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Dave

Quote from: Davin on January 20, 2017, 04:26:29 PM
One of my paranoid thoughts, though I'm not convinced by it, but I thought it was a good idea for a novel. If Russia wanted to disrupt the American Government to weaken us, they try to hurt the democratic process by interfering and then even beyond what they expected, their candidate gets elected. So do they waste their chance? Hell no, they go in to put into place, people that would either intentionally destroy what their position is supposed to oversee or is just wholly unqualified. Which will weaken America even more than it already was getting weakened.

One thing I think would be hilarious, is if it is true, that Trump is going to go for an oppressive government, in which case they will have voted for the very person they were scared of... and Trump is going to need all those private guns.

Sort of "Digital Fortress" combined with "The Manchurian Candidate" ?

Davin

Quote from: Gloucester on January 20, 2017, 04:42:43 PM
Quote from: Davin on January 20, 2017, 04:26:29 PM

Sort of "Digital Fortress" combined with "The Manchurian Candidate" ?
I haven't read "Digital Fortress" but I think you've got the idea.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Biggus Dickus

You can easily replace the headline below, dated Berlin, 1934, with the following:
"AMERICA HOPEFUL, DESPITE TRUMP"

Here's what I hoped would have happened today.

Quote from: Pasta Chick on January 20, 2017, 02:06:31 PM
It will be a great speech, a tremendous speech. One of the best speeches you've ever heard. Other speeches will tremble in awe from the greatness of this tremendous speech. After all he's the best at speaking; I'll tell you what, in business he speaks a lot. And business will make America great again. We'll do that by being really just super at business until we have the best businesses again...

For like a fucking hour

QuoteA reporter who is in DC reporting on the Inauguration, was speaking to his home office and reported seeing two persons wearing masks, one as Hitler, and the other as Mussolini and the reporter said they were unsure whether the two were part of the revelers or protesters, so they didn't show them during the live feed. WTF.

This totally fake-ass photo is what Trump sent out as his official picture before the inauguration, supposedly showing him writing his speech.

FINALLY

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Biggus Dickus

Look at this, within only hours Dickhead's Administration removed all mentions of LGBTQ people & rights from the White House Website.

...also removed the climate change web page, healthcare and civil rights.

Butt everything will be okey-dokey.

Harmonie

^^I heard he did the same for disabilities.

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Harmonie on January 20, 2017, 11:53:41 PM
^^I heard he did the same for disabilities.

But of course :'(... also after taking office today Dick-Head signed an order mandating a National Day of Patriotism. Who else "mandated" patriotism you ask? Well the Germans did it in the 1930's.

Speaking of investing money in the infrastructure, he probably needs good roads to make it easier to transport people to relocation and detainment camps. (Going to need those if you are planning to forcibly deport millions of illegal, and non-illegal immigrants, such as children of illegal immigrants who were born here, and who have obtained birth-right citizenship per the 14th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution)
Or to detain Muslims after re-establishing the useless program of the Bush administration which was officially called "NSEERS", and was more commonly known as "special registration".

And in efforts to justify a Muslim registry while on Fox News, Dickhead surrogate Carl Higbie positively invoked Japanese internment as a legal precedent for the program, as well as for detainment camps.

I'm sure things will be just peachy.

Dave

QuoteI'm sure things will be just peachy.

Except for the maggot eating it from the inside.

Biggus Dickus

1.21.17 Day 1

We've survived day 1, somehow. Here inside the bunker things are currently ok, but we need to get sniffer dogs placed by the entrances to sniff out his supporters, and members of the alt-right.

This should be an easy task for the dogs as they all reek from a pungent odor of entitlement, racism, privilege, fascism, sexism,etc...sort of mixture of right wing talk show host and conspiracy nut Alex Jones, neo-Nazi Richard Spencer (Who got socked yesterday) and Archie Bunker.

Not promoting violence, but when you incite hate things are going to happen? (You may recall this was the DB who at a rally soon after Dickhead won the election was seen at the podium with his hand straight out in the air "Hailing Trump" in a nazi salute)

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Father Bruno on January 21, 2017, 12:56:11 PM
1.21.17 Day 1

We've survived day 1, somehow. Here inside the bunker things are currently ok, but we need to get sniffer dogs placed by the entrances to sniff out his supporters, and members of the alt-right.

This should be an easy task for the dogs as they all reek from a pungent odor of entitlement, racism, privilege, fascism, sexism,etc...sort of mixture of right wing talk show host and conspiracy nut Alex Jones, neo-Nazi Richard Spencer (Who got socked yesterday) and Archie Bunker.

Not promoting violence, but when you incite hate things are going to happen? (You may recall this was the DB who at a rally soon after Dickhead won the election was seen at the podium with his hand straight out in the air "Hailing Trump" in a nazi salute)

Well, as much as I despise this guy's message, a hooded man giving him a sucker punch and then running away is not exactly the way to handle this.  Now is the time to speak out publicly against the problems you see with Trump.  Pick a topic - any topic - and start getting the message out.  We were asleep at the wheel and let him get elected.  Now we need to wake up and speak.  Find a cause, a platform, and go for it.

Tom62

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on January 21, 2017, 06:52:14 PM
Quote from: Father Bruno on January 21, 2017, 12:56:11 PM
1.21.17 Day 1

Well, as much as I despise this guy's message, a hooded man giving him a sucker punch and then running away is not exactly the way to handle this.  Now is the time to speak out publicly against the problems you see with Trump.  Pick a topic - any topic - and start getting the message out.  We were asleep at the wheel and let him get elected.  Now we need to wake up and speak.  Find a cause, a platform, and go for it.

It looks like that the US has their own version of anti-fascist tugs, similar like the ones that I've seen here in Germany and in the Netherlands. They use violence and destruction to get their "opinion" across, thus being no better than the people they hate. I assume that they also smashed windows and damaged private properties in Washington DC.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Pasta Chick

Did anyone else march today? I'm pretty equidistant between 3 major cities and ended up in Hartford CT. The Facebook page for the event had about 3000 going, it was difficult to tell in the crowd but felt like more like 5000. Now that it's over I'm reading estimates of 10,000!

The speaker system was very bad, so mostly people were mingling. It was very uplifting just being surrounded by everyone - and this is coming from someone who abhors crowds. Most people kept with the feminist theme overall but there were also BLM protesters, LGBTQ activists, and people concerned with climate change and health care in general. Many signs had messages including all of the above. I think everyone just really wants to be heard.

Highlites I didn't feel comfortable or wasn't able to photograph:

A boy probably 8-9 years old wearing Finn (Star Wars) jacket carrying a sign he made that said "Science is real, Deal with it".

A older gay couple standing on the edge of the crowd wearing rainbow sashes and holding hands.

A sign that said simply "we'll take the bear".

Very early on - I arrived about 15 min early to park. The crowd at least quadrupled from this

Rainbow for the captial

Looking back at the crowd - this spills over the hill into Bushnell Park