News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Our stuff

Started by Dave, January 11, 2017, 09:10:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: solidsquid on January 22, 2017, 03:06:38 PM
I created an electronic version (in Microsoft Excel) of the Perceived Stress Scale with some diagnostic categories I developed for use in our lab based upon some work done by a research team in Spain - https://www.dropbox.com/s/k4m1voe94bqtyoe/Perceived%20Stress%20Scale.xlsx?dl=0

If you want to try it out, be sure to download the file and open it in Excel, the functions won't work online.

I scored an 18, which surprised me, I thought it would have been higher. Currently dealing with several work related issues for the past 2-3 weeks that have developed onto the critical-stage, not to mention some personal issues going on at the home-front.

I will say my approach to dealing with the work issues has been to focus on the more severe and most important tasks first, communicate to our team often and with a certain amount of detail; as well as increased my work-out routine, 6-7 days each week, and focused on getting to bed early each night.

Cut down on coffee quite a bit...
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Dave

Well, either I am virtually stress free or I don't have any idea of what is going on!

I scored a whole 4

But, retired, no boss nagging me, mortgage paid off, more income than I can sensibly spend with my lifestyle, no family, all the toys I want . . .

Only smudges are will I pass the driving eye test on reaching 73? Will my immobility get worse? Those and others are expected results of my age and cardiac condition - no point in getting stressed over them, just get prepared!

Oh, I suppose I could add that even though I have health issues I can be pretty sure of getting reasonable treatment through our NHS.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Gloucester on January 29, 2017, 09:13:49 AM
Well, either I am virtually stress free or I don't have any idea of what is going on!

I scored a whole 4

But, retired, no boss nagging me, mortgage paid off, more income than I can sensibly spend with my lifestyle, no family, all the toys I want . . .

Only smudges are will I pass the driving eye test on reaching 73? Will my immobility get worse? Those and others are expected results of my age and cardiac condition - no point in getting stressed over them, just get prepared!

Oh, I suppose I could add that even though I have health issues I can be pretty sure of getting reasonable treatment through our NHS.

Glouchester,

If you don't mind me asking, are you married? I asked because you said no family.

Dave

Quote from: Father Bruno on January 29, 2017, 01:53:21 PM

I scored a whole 4

Glouchester,

If you don't mind me asking, are you married? I asked because you said no family.

Not married, never have been, no kids I know of.

I have a couple of very close friends but not at the family level of emotion.

My life experience has endowed me with a sort of balanced phlegmatism - I can still care about others but don't stress over them. About my medical condition I tend to be pragmatic.- life is a fatal condition, just, maybe, a bit earlier for me than without. Will stressing about it improve my condition?

72yo, 18 years after the severe heart attack and beating the statistics!

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Gloucester on January 29, 2017, 02:15:37 PM

I scored a whole 4

Glouchester,

My life experience has endowed me with a sort of balanced phlegmatism - I can still care about others but don't stress over them. About my medical condition I tend to be pragmatic.- life is a fatal condition, just, maybe, a bit earlier for me than without. Will stressing about it improve my condition?

Two of the teachers I had in high school likewise have never been married, one was my Art Teacher who I still remain in regular contact with the other was a math teacher whom I have spoken to over the years, and occasionally run into from time to time as we have a mutual friend...they are among two people I envy and admire the most in this world.

What lives they live,...I can only dream.

I'm surprised at the fact that since you have never been married you registered even 4 points on this test, you should be in the negative numbers, or at least a zero.

Must be something wrong with the test.

Dave

Quote from: Father Bruno on January 29, 2017, 03:19:34 PM
Quote from: Gloucester on January 29, 2017, 02:15:37 PM

I scored a whole 4

Glouchester,

Two of the teachers I had in high school likewise have never been married, one was my Art Teacher who I still remain in regular contact with the other was a math teacher whom I have spoken to over the years, and occasionally run into from time to time as we have a mutual friend...they are among two people I envy and admire the most in this world.

What lives they live,...I can only dream.

I'm surprised at the fact that since you have never been married you registered even 4 points on this test, you should be in the negative numbers, or at least a zero.

Must be something wrong with the test.
As with all these types of test I am never 100% happy with something about the questions or their wording, accurate responses are rarely possible for every question.

Yes, there are things outside of my control - like the possibility of losing my licence due to sight defects, even partial blindness due to AMD (though there is treatment for that if I qualify for it. Still waiting for a response to the "urgent" letter sent by my doctor to the hospital 6 days ago...) But I cannot say that I am emotionally disturbed by this, not stressed.  So, I am not in control of the situation,  does that qualify for a positive score or does my phlegmatic attitude qualify for a zero or negative score?

Better to consider the possibility of the worse case scenario and plan for that. If it does not happen go out for a slap-up meal at a good restaurant!

They used to claim that having a wife increased life expectancy - so why do wives mostly outlive their husbands?  :D

Personality test results:
http://personality-testing.info/tests/O4TS/

hermes2015

No surprise to me, this is my result:

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on January 29, 2017, 05:56:55 PM

Cor,  you've got more phlegm than me!

hermes2015

Quote from: Gloucester on January 29, 2017, 06:00:18 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on January 29, 2017, 05:56:55 PM

Cor,  you've got more phlegm than me!

Ha, but we would never compete on that - both too phlegmatic.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

xSilverPhinx

I got:

I don't agree with this. Looks like the four temperament types are more or less balanced to me. :notsure: 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey