News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Dictatorship in Turkey?

Started by Dave, January 09, 2017, 06:35:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Listening to the news sounds like  Turkey is headed deeper into dictatorship.

If he is successful in his latest moves the office of Prime Minister will disappear - leaving President Erdoğan in supreme power. Possibly until 2029 if he wins the next election. There are many Turks very unhappy about this, some having already left the country.

This makes it even less likely for Europe to want Turkey as a member but, last year, I seem to remember that progress in those talks would be a condition of Turkey's cooperation over Syrian refugees. And, if Assad wins, given his history of exacting retribution, that problem may spike again.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/erdogan-s-turkey-the-end-of-democracy-1.2927686
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/01/stream-violence-turkey-shows-president-erdogan-control-freak/

And he wants to get all buddy-buddy with theTrump.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/erdogan-trump-gulen_us_58739c0ee4b02b5f8589e1cb

Well,  the times are still interesting . . .
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Firebird

My wife is from there, and it is indeed really bad.  Her parents have talked about moving to the US, but mostly as an emergency if things become intolerable. But they sent my sister-in-law to school in NY because they don't think she should stay either. My mother-in-law was staying with us when Trump was elected, and her cynical response was "Well, now you know what we've been going through."
I don't think Europe was ever serious about EU membership, even last year, and Erdoğan mostly used the talks as an excuse to dismantle the secular army that opposed him. I don't see things changing for the better anytime soon, the main opposition party is old and inept. There was a glimmer of hope when his party lost elections a couple of years ago,  but then he never formed a government and restarted a war with the Kurds to inflame everyone's nationalist tendencies, and it worked, snap elections brought them back to power. People are so gullible.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Dave

Thinking more on it the conditions Erdoğan wanted may have related to trade and allowing more Turks to emmigrate to Europe. Looks like they might not wait for changes in legislation.

I hope your wife's parents remain safe, Firebird, but will Turkey still be a country worth living in? It is a country of so much potential in so many ways, yet it is also another that seems to be sowing the seeds of its own destruction.

No one

Let's see if there are any people who aren't willing to gobble up what said dictators are stuffing down peoples throats.

Dave

Quote from: No one on January 09, 2017, 08:08:10 PM
Let's see if there are any people who aren't willing to gobble up what said dictators are stuffing down peoples throats.

The last lot that tried that are all  awaiting arrest or actually in prison, in their thousands! Erdoğan has a strong popular base, like Trump. There are always millions who accept the lies,  the propaganda from media sources becoming less and less independant.

Then, when it's too late . . . Well, it's too late.

Firebird

Quote from: Gloucester on January 09, 2017, 07:05:27 PM
I hope your wife's parents remain safe, Firebird, but will Turkey still be a country worth living in? It is a country of so much potential in so many ways, yet it is also another that seems to be sowing the seeds of its own destruction.

My in-laws are semi-retired. Moving halfway around the world at their age and out of their element would be really hard. Plus there's this feeling of abandoning their country. If they leave, who's left? I sympathize with that. The fact that they're even considering it is stunning to me. 
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

OldGit

If Kemal Atatürk were alive today he'd be turning in his grave.

Asmodean

Unfortunately, it does look as if the least shitty of shit countries will not get to keep that title for long... For many of the same reason as they were demoted to a shit country in the first place in the footnotes of The Gray Tome.  :(
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Dave

Looks like Erdoğan is exporting his tactics to the US, though it could be said some of Trump's supporters need no lessons.

As Erdoğan arrived at the Turkish embassy, in his visit, a small demo started in support of a political prisoner. It then seems that one of Edoğan's security team had a word with Edoğan's supporters. Those supporters, and the security man, then attacked the demonstrators, knocking them down and kicking them.

An organisation that analysises such incidents from video evidence said, on BBC World Service, that Erdoğan spoke to the security man first and watched him initiate the violence before getting out of the car to enter the embassy.

So far the Trump Shite House has made no comment.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/public-safety/nine-people-are-injured-at-demonstration-outside-turkish-embassy-in-dc/2017/05/16/5c813434-3a8c-11e7-9e48-c4f199710b69_story.html?utm_term=.faba71a9d513

Dave

Not really directly applicable but Turkey, a member of NATO is buying an advanced $2.5bn ant-aicraft missile system from Russia.

Now, were I the Russians I would build in a transponder system to prevent them being used against my aircraft. Especially since Turkey shot down a Russian fighter not all that long ago.

QuoteTurkey has agreed to buy Russia's advanced missile-defense system, leaving NATO wondering what's next
http://uk.businessinsider.com/turkey-agreed-to-buy-russias-s-400-missle-system-concerns-about-nato-2017-7?r=US&IR=T

Dave

QuoteTurkey's new school curriculum drops evolution and will teach concept of jihad.

Turkey's new school curriculum drops Charles Darwin's theory of evolution and adds the concept of jihad as patriotic in spirit.

The move has fuelled fears President Recep Tayyip Erdogan is subverting the republic's secular foundations.

The chairman of a teachers' union has described the changes as a huge step in the wrong direction for Turkey's schools and an attempt to avoid raising "generations who ask questions".

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/turkey-school-curriculum-teach-jihad-concept-drop-evolution-science-muslim-islam-a7848176.html

Looks like the West can wave goodbye to Turkey then. How their relationship with Russia develops will be . . . interesting. At first sight they do not have much in common but I would guess Russia would really like Turkey to leave NATO and never join the EU. They will be another buffer state.

Dave

I said:
QuoteAt first sight they do not have much in common . . .

Damn! I forgot two "strong men", egoistic/egotistic, authoritarian, nationalistic etc. Putin and Erdoğan are made for each other.