News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Words, Words And More Words!

Started by xSilverPhinx, January 04, 2017, 01:16:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Youth literature.

Is that how it's commonly used to describe books for children and adolescents? In Portuguese we have literatura infantojuvenil and I can't find a more adequate-sounding way of putting it. :chin: Is it common?
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Biggus Dickus

Here in the US we would normally say either Children's Literature or Yong Adult or Juvenile Literature.
Here's a list:
The categories with an age range are listed below:

Picture books, appropriate for pre-readers or children ages 0–5.

Early reader books, appropriate for childrenages 5–7. These books are often designed to help a child build his or her reading skills.

Chapter books, appropriate for children ages 7–12.
Short chapter books, appropriate for children ages 7–9.Longer chapter books, appropriate for children ages 9–12.

Young adult fiction, appropriate for children ages 12–18.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

xSilverPhinx

Thanks, Bruno! So there's no one word to encompass the whole lot? :chin:

Biggus Dickus

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Dave

Similar pattern in the UK. "Young adult" is commonly used but others not so much. "Picture books" is used for toddlers and "Childrens' Literature" for those up to 12. Trouble is the change in kids' cognition in that age range seems to rise exponentially in my experience - a nephew went from Noddy to philosophy (in the original French) in six years!

Hope this adds something: https://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2014/jul/31/ya-books-reads-young-adult-teen-new-adult-books
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

xSilverPhinx

I run into this problem many times so I thought I'd ask, does this passive voice form look weird or ugly in English? It does to me.  :-\

QuoteBlah, blah, blah, it is speculated that this action is triggered by the stimulation of endothelial β3 receptors...

In Portuguese this form is really common, "especula-se" translates to "it is speculated", but in English it seems to give off an almost childish vibe, and I don't encounter this form too often in research papers written by native speakers. 

Maybe it's just because I have a thing against passive voice in general.  ::) I would rewrite this sentence to remove the "it is". 

What do you think?

Dave

I would use that form happily if I were talking in general terms of a concensus of opinion.

"It has been speculated..." implies a specific person or group, thst would need a less passive voice. "Joe Bloggs  speculates..." or "The Cambridge group ...." would be far better.

Hmmm, "A consensus of opinion speculates..." ?

Bad Penny II

"Blah, blah, blah, it is speculated"
Looks and feels fine to me.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

xSilverPhinx

Ok.  :thumbsup:

The original doesn't imply there's a specific person group, just that there is speculation surrounding a particular idea.

I just keep remembering the Dothraki in Game of Thrones with their "it is known" line. ::) I don't like it.   

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Gloucester on February 18, 2017, 01:24:10 PM
I would use that form happily if I were talking in general terms of a concensus of opinion.

"It has been speculated..."

That gives me the creeping gripes.

There's been speculation.

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on February 18, 2017, 01:48:57 PM

The original doesn't imply there's a specific person group, just that there is speculation surrounding a particular idea.

I just keep remembering the Dothraki in Game of Thrones with their "it is known" line. ::) I don't like it.   

"It is known..."

"By whom?"

"Those in the know you dumb twit!"

Bad Penny II

I love the "it is known" line, I use it often, sweet irony.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Bad Penny II on February 18, 2017, 02:11:35 PM

I love the "it is known" line, I use it often, sweet irony.

Heheh. You must like it because...because you're upside down all the time. Being in that position can cause people to do and say funny things. :smug:

Bad Penny II

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on February 18, 2017, 02:30:35 PMyou're upside down all the time. Being in that position can cause people to do and say funny things.

It is known.