Author Topic: Words, Words And More Words!  (Read 689 times)

hermes2015

• Has Received Bacon
Re: Words, Words And More Words!
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2017, 06:43:03 AM »
They should know if they understand English.

No, I don't think so. Not what it means physically on their planet.

Gloucester

• Not Defeated by the Dark Night of the Soul
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2017, 06:44:52 AM »
Observe the face of an Earthling clock.
Draw out that face on the ground, including marking the centre of that face, the location where the two pointers, or "hands", obviously swivel, at a size that you can stand in and be able to see the numbers in the face by turning your head and/or twisting your body.
Stand at the centre point of that clock-face-on-the-floor such that you are facing the number 12.
Turn your head to look to the number at 90 degrees from that number 12.
If that number is 9 you are looking to your left side.
If that number is 3 then you are looking to your right side.
We would have to send instructions to draw a clock face, going back to the problem of describing what clockwise and anticlockwise mean, so that the numbers can be drawn in the correct direction.

Ah, oops, forgot that these aliens are not here (yet) and no  pictures!

I have that feeling in my water that this is one of those complex seeming probs with a simple solution.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.

hermes2015

• Has Received Bacon
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2017, 06:57:34 AM »
Observe the face of an Earthling clock.
Draw out that face on the ground, including marking the centre of that face, the location where the two pointers, or "hands", obviously swivel, at a size that you can stand in and be able to see the numbers in the face by turning your head and/or twisting your body.
Stand at the centre point of that clock-face-on-the-floor such that you are facing the number 12.
Turn your head to look to the number at 90 degrees from that number 12.
If that number is 9 you are looking to your left side.
If that number is 3 then you are looking to your right side.

We would have to send instructions to draw a clock face, going back to the problem of describing what clockwise and anticlockwise mean, so that the numbers can be drawn in the correct direction.

Ah, oops, forgot that these aliens are not here (yet) and no  pictures!

I have that feeling in my water that this is one of those complex seeming probs with a simple solution.

I think you will appreciate an engineering example: How to describe what a right-handed screw looks like.

No, if this helps, there is no simple solution.

xSilverPhinx

• Non Dvcor
  • Global Moderator
  • Guardian of Reason
  • I Spy With My Googly Eyes...
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2017, 02:50:33 AM »
More of a challenge this time:

How would you explain the verb "to fold", as in fold a piece of paper, to someone with intermediate English. Words such as "bend" are a no-no.  :sadshake:

Bend is like folds smaller weaker brother. Fold does 250 bench press at the gym all the way through while bend can't get a full report with 15 lb curls.

Ok but seriously, they would both work in that sentence but it depends on what meaning you want to get across. Fold is going all the way and putting a crease that can't be removed. Bend is to just shape the paper so it's a different shape but not to where it won't go back. Additionally, bend can be used to convey the same as fold and people will still know what you mean but fold doesn't hold that nuance.

I'm just trying to explain to some people with limited vocabulary what to fold means without using words like bend or crease. :P  In this case, fold a piece of paper. 

This is more challenging than I expected.   
I'm just a student of the game that they taught me.

Gloucester

« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2017, 04:24:45 AM »

How would you explain the verb "to fold", as in fold a piece of paper, to someone with intermediate English. Words such as "bend" are a no-no.  :sadshake:

Bend is like folds smaller weaker brother. Fold does 250 bench press at the gym all the way through while bend can't get a full report with 15 lb curls.

Ok but seriously, they would both work in that sentence but it depends on what meaning you want to get across. Fold is going all the way and putting a crease that can't be removed. Bend is to just shape the paper so it's a different shape but not to where it won't go back. Additionally, bend can be used to convey the same as fold and people will still know what you mean but fold doesn't hold that nuance.

I'm just trying to explain to some people with limited vocabulary what to fold means without using words like bend or crease. :P  In this case, fold a piece of paper. 

Is one allowed instructions like, "Pick up one side of a piece of paper, move this side over the piece until it touches the other side, hold it down there with one hand, press on the paper so that it becomes flat all over. This is called folding and you have made a fold. This can also be done with a piece of cloth and other things."

xSilverPhinx

• Non Dvcor
  • Global Moderator
  • Guardian of Reason
  • I Spy With My Googly Eyes...
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2017, 04:37:16 AM »

Is one allowed instructions like, "Pick up one side of a piece of paper, move this side over the piece until it touches the other side, hold it down there with one hand, press on the paper so that it becomes flat all over. This is called folding and you have made a fold. This can also be done with a piece of cloth and other things."

I think that could work. :notsure: It could probably be made shorter, as in "Move one side of a piece of paper until it touches the other side and press on the paper until it becomes flat all over".

Paper space is lacking. :P 
I'm just a student of the game that they taught me.

Gloucester

« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2017, 04:49:28 AM »

I think that could work. :notsure: It could probably be made shorter, as in "Move one side of a piece of paper until it touches the other side and press on the paper until it becomes flat all over".

It was just a quick first draft!

O que?