Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Acupuncture and Herbal Medicine

Started by joeactor, December 27, 2016, 03:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magdalena

Quote from: joeactor on December 30, 2016, 07:58:26 PM
Experiment: over!

My wife called to tell them I didn't want to continue the acupuncture, but would try to finish the herbs.
Sounds like they told her how screwed up I was and that I'd need a lot more herbs and/or needles.

And... no. I'm done. I actually feel a little worse than when I started, so no more herbs, no more needles.

Maybe I need to find "the right one" to treat me, but I'm just not motivated at present.

Worth a try, but little or no results to report.

Short ride!
Joe
Oh, my dear Joeactor, :therethere:
It could've been worse...a lot worse.
:grin:

(I wish I knew what he is saying.) :chin:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

joeactor

OUCH! (yeah, that's worse!)

Didn't get any in the face, but that is a possibility.
Head, neck, wrists, feet, back, thighs... Even found one after I left once!

Recusant

Sounds like they told her how screwed up I was and that I'd need a lot more herbs and/or needles.

:eyeroll:  That seems like S.O.P. for that sort of outfit.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

joeactor

Quote from: Recusant on December 31, 2016, 12:44:34 AM

:eyeroll:  That seems like S.O.P. for that sort of outfit.

It certainly didn't give me any confidence in them...

Asmodean

Quote from: Pasta Chick on December 29, 2016, 03:18:38 PM
Depending on the herbs, they generally take weeks to months to really see a difference.
In other words, the time frame for me to get better all by my skeptical self?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Dave

Joined late but . . .

Depends what you call herbal medicines. Medicines that can be purely of plant origin are include, morphine, quinine, aspirin - you can grow a salix to get salicyclic acid in your garden.

I am cautious about herbal medicine,  the NHS and WebMD warn heart condition sufferers against uding them without advice, partlicularly gingko biloba.

I am a very long term sufferer of attacks of extreme Irritable Bowel Syndrome - painful and embarrassing. Between bouts would be a constant stream of indigestion, flatulance, heartburn or just old fashioned gut ache.

I refuced certain food intakes, have to eat white bread now despite that being not good for my gout. Cereal fibre is a no-no!

Then I tried drinking peppermint infusion instead of tea and coffee for my regular drink. After about three months I realised that almost all the gastric problems had reduced to insignificant levels.

So, if peppermint infusion is considered in the same class as "herbal medicine", a substance of botanic origin that gives a beneficial effect, then that one works for me!

However, as in all cases, self-diagnosis and treatment have dangers - see a doctor first, ask advice and experiment carefully.

Of course, all alcoholic beverages are of plant origin but whether they can be called medicines is open to debate!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

joeactor

Quote from: Gloucester on December 31, 2016, 07:49:04 PM
Joined late but . . .

Depends what you call herbal medicines. Medicines that can be purely of plant origin are include, morphine, quinine, aspirin - you can grow a salix to get salicyclic acid in your garden.

I am cautious about herbal medicine,  the NHS and WebMD warn heart condition sufferers against uding them without advice, partlicularly gingko biloba.

I am a very long term sufferer of attacks of extreme Irritable Bowel Syndrome - painful and embarrassing. Between bouts would be a constant stream of indigestion, flatulance, heartburn or just old fashioned gut ache.

I refuced certain food intakes, have to eat white bread now despite that being not good for my gout. Cereal fibre is a no-no!

Then I tried drinking peppermint infusion instead of tea and coffee for my regular drink. After about three months I realised that almost all the gastric problems had reduced to insignificant levels.

So, if peppermint infusion is considered in the same class as "herbal medicine", a substance of botanic origin that gives a beneficial effect, then that one works for me!

However, as in all cases, self-diagnosis and treatment have dangers - see a doctor first, ask advice and experiment carefully.

Of course, all alcoholic beverages are of plant origin but whether they can be called medicines is open to debate!

Thanks Gloucester - I had IBS also. Used biofeedback and daily fiber to take care of it... also got treated for giardiasis (which may be a causal factor)

I wish I knew what was in the herbs, but didn't speak the language at all. A big part of why I stopped taking it.

And hadn't thought of interactions, but they're a real danger for sure.

Dave

Quote from: joeactor on December 31, 2016, 09:02:05 PM
Quote from: Gloucester on December 31, 2016, 07:49:04 PM
Joined late but . . .

Thanks Gloucester - I had IBS also. Used biofeedback and daily fiber to take care of it... also got treated for giardiasis (which may be a causal factor)

I wish I knew what was in the herbs, but didn't speak the language at all. A big part of why I stopped taking it.

And hadn't thought of interactions, but they're a real danger for sure.

There's the rub, some fibres bring my IBS on. Took months of experimenting, cereal fibres seem to be the worst for me. Soluble fibres - from apple peel, tomato and grape skins etc, should cause probs but I seem to be able to eat all those.

I think some herbs are definitely beneficial but dismiss most of the claims from the woo merchants until I have researched them thoroughly and taken medical advice.

Pasta Chick

Quote from: Asmodean on December 31, 2016, 05:24:28 PM
Quote from: Pasta Chick on December 29, 2016, 03:18:38 PM
Depending on the herbs, they generally take weeks to months to really see a difference.
In other words, the time frame for me to get better all by my skeptical self?

These remedies are generally aimed at chronic issues, not acute illnesses. Anyone selling "cures" for the common cold is full of shit, regardless of what ideology they preach.

If you were constantly suffering acute illnesses, a natural practitioner could work to strengthen your immune system to better fight off colds and flus before you get them. There are plenty of substances known to have this effect - zinc, for instance, which is commonly marketed as a common cold cure, does not work acutely but is proven to help your boost your immune system if taken long-term.

Pasta Chick

I also want to commiserate with fellow GI sufferers...

I can't do peppermint much, personally. I keep Altoids on me because a little will help if I'm just kinda "off" but my major problem is acid overproduction and peppermint can aggravate that. Chamomile does me better, but your system can get used to it so I have to use sparingly. I find it helps general cramping/tension headaches as well since it's an overall relaxant.

Diet is huge for me too. It seems I can eat whatever fiber I want, I just have to keep switching it up. Too many days in a row of anything is bad. Wheat is the only thing that I really need to be sparing with. Fat is a huge problem, specifically olive oil for some reason. Animal fats are better than plant, which flies in the face of most conventional wisdom but it is what it is. Fruits are generally ok, veg will bother me if I eat too much raw. And apparently every cheese has a slightly different bacterial make up, which means I can eat some with no problem and others are just a complete meltdown. At my sickest I could eat a pile of feta without flinching and a single bite of mozzarella would have me ill for days.

GI systems are weird.

Dave

Quote from: Pasta Chick on December 31, 2016, 11:38:21 PM
I also want to commiserate with fellow GI sufferers...

I can't do peppermint much, personally. I keep Altoids on me because a little will help if I'm just kinda "off" but my major problem is acid overproduction and peppermint can aggravate that. Chamomile does me better, but your system can get used to it so I have to use sparingly. I find it helps general cramping/tension headaches as well since it's an overall relaxant.

Diet is huge for me too. It seems I can eat whatever fiber I want, I just have to keep switching it up. Too many days in a row of anything is bad. Wheat is the only thing that I really need to be sparing with. Fat is a huge problem, specifically olive oil for some reason. Animal fats are better than plant, which flies in the face of most conventional wisdom but it is what it is. Fruits are generally ok, veg will bother me if I eat too much raw. And apparently every cheese has a slightly different bacterial make up, which means I can eat some with no problem and others are just a complete meltdown. At my sickest I could eat a pile of feta without flinching and a single bite of mozzarella would have me ill for days.

GI systems are weird.

Yes, peppermint is not everyone's cup of tea . . .

:run!:

joeactor

I hear ya PC...

Ginger, wasabi and horse radish set me off. Daily Citrucel and plenty of fruit/veg fiber is good. No problem with wheat or other grains.

I'm pretty wary of miracle cures, cleanses, etc.

With as many quirks as it has, the human body does a generally good job of maintenance (with a little help, that is)

Arturo

I can eat pretty much anything and my stomach will handle it. Since that is a thing, I try to eat healthy and lately I've been eating more fish. Then finally after watching a YouTube video, I busted out some spinach and have been feeling great ever since.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Ecurb Noselrub

A little apple cider vinegar daily is good for the GI system.  Keeps acid reflux at bay somewhat.

Pasta Chick

I could never stomach ACV either. One of those substances with so many claims I'm skeptical of it, especially since it made me worse.

I tried drinking it once to ward off a bacterial pharyngitis, because I hate going on antibiotics and Dr Google suggested it... It didn't work at all - didn't even stagnate - and made me reek of vinegar within a couple hours.

Lovely on salad, though!