Nov' 2016 Photo challenge. A monument of your city/neighbourhood poll

Started by Tank, December 27, 2016, 02:09:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

And the horse on the pillar is in the Trinity center in Leeds. Very little chance of earthquakes.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

The guy with his fingers in his ears, no. 7,  is a monument to the making of the first jet engines near Gloucester.

I was very surprised to see it get this far, entry was a bit tongue in cheek. It's another council chosen monument that got bad public reception - thus I used the shot where it "got the bird".

Full face shots have ugly huildings as a background, I wanted the poor chap out there in the sky.

Thanks to all those who voted.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Recusant

Oh boy, now to pick a new theme. I'm open to suggestions!  :sidesmile:

Thank you, Maria Evri, for choosing the theme, and to Tank, for running the poll, and to all who participated.

My photos:

#4 is the Space Needle in Seattle, of course.

#5 is The Chief, by Virgil "Smoker" Marchand, an Indian artist from the Lakes Band of the Colville Confederated Tribes. It's at the Beebe Springs Natural Area on Highway 97, not far from Chelan, Washington.

#6 is the Stonehenge replica at Maryhill, Washington, commissioned as a WWI war memorial for the war dead of Klickitat County by the somewhat eccentric businessman Sam Hill--dedicated in 1918 and completed in 1929.

I pretty sure I recognize Tank's #8 as a sculpture in the Eden Project in Cornwall.

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Sandra Craft

And I notice Tank took #10, so it's unlikely to be in LA.  Whew!
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

hermes2015

Well done Recusant!
For various reasons I did not participate in this challenge, but am looking forward to a new one.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

10/10 Recusant for recognising 'The Seed' at the Eden Project.

9 is the Corn Exchange in Leeds.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

How about 'Your favourite photos' for the next one? January can be miserable for photography so this lets everybody delve into their back catalogue while the winter rages outside. Although I expect snow scenes from those with access, even if the are not shot this year.