Section of Feathered Dinosaur Tail Found in 99 million-year-old Amber

Started by Pasta Chick, December 08, 2016, 06:15:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pasta Chick

First Dinosaur Tail Found in Amber

Article is protected and isn't letting me pull quotes. Quick and concise read though. Just amazing.

Recusant

Very cool! Thanks for posting that, Pasta Chick. It will be interesting to see how Creationists like Creation Ministries will try to explain this away, assuming that they even acknowledge it.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Pasta Chick

If you search for related articles that run comment sections, they're all over it. Mostly the usual "Earth isn't that old"/"Can't trust carbon dating"/"LIES BY SATAN!!!1!" schtick. But a lot of focus on the ant, both as being "modern day" and thus fake, or that they perceive that as what should be a more important discovery because it's whole (and we apparently haven't found thousands of insects in amber).

I'm personally fascinated by how far our knowledge of dinosaurs has advanced in a relatively short time. When I was a kid I had books about dinosaurs having skin like lizards and trying to guess if they were camouflaged, brightly colored, or both like modern lizards. Feathers were an idea but it was presented as a fringe theory.

Ecurb Noselrub

Pasta Chick

Strong resemblance to the feathers of land-dwelling flightless birds alive today, which makes perfect sense.

Ostrich:

Emu:

Rhea:

joeactor

Recusant

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken