News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

This is your brain on God

Started by xSilverPhinx, December 01, 2016, 08:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

QuoteReligious and spiritual experiences activate the brain reward circuits in much the same way as love, sex, gambling, drugs and music, report researchers.

An fMRI scan shows regions of the brain that become active when devoutly religious study participants have a spiritual experience, including a reward center in the brain, the nucleus accumbens.
Credit: Jeffrey Anderson

This is your brain on God: Spiritual experiences activate brain reward circuits

Praise dopamine! :notworthy:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Arturo

I don't particularly like music. But I can see how drugs and God are related, being an ex drug user myself. Love, yeah. Gambling, not my thing.

What I find interesting is at the end they say:
QuoteWork by others suggests that the brain responds quite differently to meditative and contemplative practices characteristic of some eastern religions,  but so far little is known about the neuroscience of western spiritual practices.

Now I could care less about what they find on Western Religions, other than it having the purpose to show theists it's all just silly brain games, but what they find on the eastern religions is what fascinates me. I would also like to know what they find on other Western, Non-Abrahamic, Religions such as Wicca or some North or South American Tribal Religion.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

existentialcrisis

Research has found that the language part of the brain lights up during prayer. It's as though they are actually talking to someone, although no-one is actually there.

It's engrained in our DNA due to our evolution. A survival mechanism.
There are no facts, only interpretations. - Friedrich Nietzche

The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason. - Benjamin Franklin.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: existentialcrisis on December 07, 2016, 09:52:10 PM
Research has found that the language part of the brain lights up during prayer. It's as though they are actually talking to someone, although no-one is actually there.

How do you know no one is there?

existentialcrisis

Well, no one can know anything for sure. But that is the running theory based on evidence. I think there for I am, so I know I am there. As for a cosmic puppet master, there are too many inconsistencies. When in doubt use bayesian theory to analyse probabilities.

Arturo

Maybe it lights up because we are using language? And not because we think someone is listening?
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Tank

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on December 08, 2016, 01:25:40 AM

Why doesn't god heal amputees?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Also, all them piss-poor schmucks faithfully playing the lottery. Why are so few of them rich? Wasn't Jesus all about giving free shit to the poor?

Having turned fish into wine or whatever, altering chance in a small way so that the poor have a higher probability of scoring a jackpot than the well-off ought to be a small thing, no?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Asmodean on December 08, 2016, 08:49:25 AM
Having turned fish into wine or whatever,

I'd of thought that kind of thing would appeal to a Scandinavian, non typical Scandinavian I suppose.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Tank on December 08, 2016, 06:54:46 AM

Why don't the museums stick arms on those broken statues?
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Asmodean

Quote from: Bad Penny II on December 08, 2016, 12:25:24 PM

I'd of thought that kind of thing would appeal to a Scandinavian, non typical Scandinavian I suppose.
I like fish and dislike wine, so fuck Jesus!

Quote from: Bad Penny II on December 08, 2016, 12:32:26 PM
They are waiting for Jesus to heal them. Duh!
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Tank on December 08, 2016, 06:54:46 AM

I don't know.  I'm just trying to find out how people know that no one is there.

Magdalena

Quote from: Asmodean on December 08, 2016, 01:09:52 PM
Quote from: Bad Penny II on December 08, 2016, 12:25:24 PM

I like fish and dislike wine, so fuck Jesus!

Quote from: Bad Penny II on December 08, 2016, 12:32:26 PM
They are waiting for Jesus to heal them. Duh!
You guys are funny.  :snicker:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: existentialcrisis on December 08, 2016, 03:17:02 AM
Well, no one can know anything for sure. But that is the running theory based on evidence. I think there for I am, so I know I am there. As for a cosmic puppet master, there are too many inconsistencies. When in doubt use bayesian theory to analyse probabilities.

There are lots of options other than a cosmic puppet master.  There could be an advanced alien civilization that is listening to all our communications, for example. Or a deist creator. Or maybe we are in a simulation.  I think sometimes we overreach with our dichotomies.

existentialcrisis

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on December 08, 2016, 05:42:16 PM
Quote from: existentialcrisis on December 08, 2016, 03:17:02 AM

There are lots of options other than a cosmic puppet master.  There could be an advanced alien civilization that is listening to all our communications, for example. Or a deist creator. Or maybe we are in a simulation.  I think sometimes we overreach with our dichotomies.

Possibly but no evidence for either hypothesis. Especially the last one (simulation) since we only come up with that idea as soon as we developed computers with algorithms. It's an association fallacy.