Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

What is Cosmological Evolution?

Started by Magdalena, November 04, 2016, 07:54:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Magdalena on November 07, 2016, 04:39:45 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 06, 2016, 11:43:42 PM
Sorry for having derailed your wonderful topic so far off the tracks, Mags. I've split it into a conversation of its own.

Back to stardust and cosmological evolution...

A question: does anybody know if the building blocks of the atoms in the universe have been around since the beginning of time? I've heard of virtual particles, particles that pop in and out of existence, but could they ever stabilise and form something more complex?

:foottap:
What are you doing?
Please bring it back.
It belongs here.
The cosmos, from beginning to end. Life and death for humans, Big Bang, and Big Crunch for the universe.

...OK, that probably sounded a little bit weird... :shifty:
But, anyways...
Please, just bring back the rest of it, here. Thank you.

Ok  :worried:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Apathy on November 07, 2016, 09:27:59 AM
Yeah I agree with Neil and it sounds magical enough to me. I want to be turned into a tree when I die (either by a coffin that does so or having one planted over me) so that I can contribute to the well-being of this earth by creating oxygen. Maybe you can tell them that's why people die?

That's a good one, Apathy :chin:

QuoteOh oh and another one. People who have more fun go out faster than people who don't. So people who die faster are like fireworks with a big bang to excite you and people who die slower are slow burning candles to light your way. (And by fun I mean they have more sex and more kids)

Sort of like stars, the big ones live fast, die young (they burn out their fuel faster than smaller stars) while smaller ones can last for billions of years more.  8)

(Good thing our sun is a relatively small star.)

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dragonia on November 07, 2016, 01:50:22 PM
Last year, a 9 year old friend was killed in a horrific way, and I had to explain death to my children.   We talked extensively about it, and how I wished for easier answers, like the sweet story of happily ever after in heaven, where we get to see all the people we've ever loved..... it would be so much easier and happier.
As it was, we all had to learn to actually just say good bye. Forever. I softened it by saying that we don't really know what happens after death,  but that I think it's like sleeping, where we just won't know anything at all. It was heartbreaking and difficult, but they are kids, and they will (usually) accept what they are taught, process it, and move on. For better or worse.
Aside from that, we keep communication open and they know they can, at any time, ask a question or voice a thought, and we can talk about it. I think that helps too, knowing that they don't have to feel these big feelings alone. 
As far as damage goes, I don't know. It's hard to accept that no matter how old you are.  :(
xSilverPhinx, I wish your family, and this grandfather, the best!

Thank you for your reply, Dragonia. That makes a lot of sense.

Dragonia

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Arturo

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 07, 2016, 11:15:46 PM
Yeah I agree with Neil and it sounds magical enough to me. I want to be turned into a tree when I die (either by a coffin that does so or having one planted over me) so that I can contribute to the well-being of this earth by creating oxygen. Maybe you can tell them that's why people die?

That's a good one, Apathy :chin:

QuoteOh oh and another one. People who have more fun go out faster than people who don't. So people who die faster are like fireworks with a big bang to excite you and people who die slower are slow burning candles to light your way. (And by fun I mean they have more sex and more kids)

Sort of like stars, the big ones live fast, die young (they burn out their fuel faster than smaller stars) while smaller ones can last for billions of years more.  8)

(Good thing our sun is a relatively small star.)

So space is not just a vast emptiness.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Magdalena

Oh oh and another one. People who have more fun go out faster than people who don't. So people who die faster are like fireworks with a big bang to excite you and people who die slower are slow burning candles to light your way. (And by fun I mean they have more sex and more kids)

Quote from: Dragonia on November 08, 2016, 12:17:15 AM
This thread is confusing me.....  :headscratch:

Me too...

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Magdalena

You know what we need here? We need someone to contact: hackenslash
A Frood Who Really Knows Where Their Towel Is

Remember him? He likes to talk about this stuff. He's very nice and good at explaining things like; Has Evolution Been Proven?

~Just an idea... :shifty:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Magdalena

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 07, 2016, 10:59:47 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on November 07, 2016, 04:39:45 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 06, 2016, 11:43:42 PM
Sorry for having derailed your wonderful topic so far off the tracks, Mags. I've split it into a conversation of its own.

Back to stardust and cosmological evolution...

A question: does anybody know if the building blocks of the atoms in the universe have been around since the beginning of time? I've heard of virtual particles, particles that pop in and out of existence, but could they ever stabilise and form something more complex?

:foottap:
What are you doing?
Please bring it back.
It belongs here.
The cosmos, from beginning to end. Life and death for humans, Big Bang, and Big Crunch for the universe.

...OK, that probably sounded a little bit weird... :shifty:
But, anyways...
Please, just bring back the rest of it, here. Thank you.

Ok  :worried:

Thank you.  :hug:

Tank

Quote from: Magdalena on November 08, 2016, 03:12:09 AM

Remember him? He likes to talk about this stuff. He's very nice and good at explaining things like; Has Evolution Been Proven?

Invite sent.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Magdalena

Quote from: Tank on November 08, 2016, 07:48:13 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on November 08, 2016, 03:12:09 AM

Invite sent.
:lol:
That's great!
Could you also invite Gerry Rzeppa? I would love to see fireworks.  :tellmemore:
...and maybe a little bit of blood and tears.  ;D

xSilverPhinx