News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

An Unusual Star System

Started by Recusant, October 31, 2016, 02:12:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

I didn't call it "unique" in the title, because even though it's the first of its kind discovered so far, the Universe is damn big, inhabited by an unimaginable number of star systems. So chances are it isn't unique. Still, an interesting discovery.

"Weird binary system spotted with three rings around two stars" | New Scientist

Image credit: Christian Brinch

QuoteAstronomers have never seen anything like it: two stars, each swaddled in planet-forming discs – and then a third, larger disc around the entire lot. Named IRS 43, the system is 400 light years away from Earth.

The cosmos is chock-full of stars surrounded by planets and planet-forming discs. It's also home to many binary systems in which each star has its own planetary disc – a rotating disc of gas and dust. We even know of a few planets that orbit both stars in binary systems, though these worlds are rare.

In IRS 43, all three discs are skewed relative to each other, making the system unique in the observed cosmos, says team member Christian Brinch at the University of Copenhagen's Niels Bohr Institute in Denmark.

Both stars in IRS 43 are very young and about the size of the sun. Each has a disc that is about the size of our solar system, and is probably in the process of forming planets.

The planets can't be seen directly because they are obscured by dust, but we can trace the regions where they are forming using the Atacama Large Millimeter/submillimeter Array in northern Chile . . .

[Continues . . .]

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Essie Mae

Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Ecurb Noselrub

Reminds me of a UFC fight.  The two stars are battling it out in the octagon and the larger disc represents the fans waiting to see who will win. 

Magdalena

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on October 31, 2016, 08:25:33 PM
Reminds me of a UFC fight.  The two stars are battling it out in the octagon and the larger disc represents the fans waiting to see who will win.

:secrets1: My friend, can I have one of those Organic cigarettes that you smoke?  :grin:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

OldGit

Best keep clear - the evil Ng have a large orbital fort there to harass the noble and peace-loving Whooples.

Icarus

Clearly...God works in mysterious ways.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey