News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Virus Sports Spider DNA

Started by Recusant, October 25, 2016, 02:27:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

Here's an intriguing and informative pop-science article about an unprecedented find: a phage (virus that infects bacteria) that somehow has incorporated spider genes into its genome.

QuoteIf you pick a random species of insect and look inside its cells, there's a 40 percent chance that you'll find bacteria called Wolbachia. And if you look at Wolbachia carefully, you'll almost certainly find a virus called WO, lying in wait within its DNA. And if you look at WO carefully, as Seth and Sarah Bordenstein, from Vanderbilt University, have done, you'll find parts of genes that look like they come from animals—including a toxin gene that makes the bite of the black widow spider so deadly.

How on earth did this nested set-up evolve? How did a spider gene end up in a virus that lives inside bacteria that live inside the cells of insects?

[Continues . . .]

Later in the story, we learn that they're not exactly sure how this happened, but it is explained why this "Frankenphage" phenomenon is unique.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Icarus

Fascinating stuff. I am presently into a book titled; Venomous. Author, Christie Wilcox Phd. So far no mention of a virus invading a toxin or venom. The Black Widow has a nasty venom but it is not "deadly" as the article suggests.   

No matter. The presence of virus and other bugs in toxins, poisons, or Venoms are of substantial interest to pharmaceutical explorers.  Venoms are an important source of medications for all sorts of human maladies....Diabetes, arthritis, liver failures, dementia, even EDF and so much more.

xSilverPhinx

:shocked:

Interesting virus! I wonder just how many (if any) other viruses do the same.

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey