News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

What kind of atheist are you?

Started by Dave, October 01, 2016, 02:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

An aqusintance was muttering ahout someone who described himself as a, "neo-philosophical humanist agnostic with both theist and deistic tendencies".

Yeah, oxymoron, or not so oxy?

So I thought about it, what am I?

Nearest seems to be,:

"Secular-humanistic-utilitarian-techno-pragmatic-soft-atheist"

What flavour are you?

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

joeactor

I try to keep it simple -  Knowledge and Belief.

I'm an Agnostic Theist.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnostic_theism

I believe there's something more, but I claim no knowledge of it's form or capabilities.

Basically, it's ok to say "I don't know" ;-)

Sandra Craft

I have to keep it simple too, otherwise I get confused.  I just go with agnostic atheist, tho the whole story includes dashes of pantheism and paganism as well.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Kekerusey

For me it's simple ... I don't believe therefore I am an atheist. No flavours, no types, I just don't accept current claims to the existence of deity.

Everything else is "in addition to".

Keke
J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
The Abyssal Void War Book #1: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Tom62

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Pasta Chick

I prefer to go by apathiest. Don't know, don't care.

Asmodean

Quote from: Tom62 on October 01, 2016, 08:33:21 PM
Just an atheist like Keke.
This, although I do claim knowledge when it comes to certain gods. YHWH, for instance, can not exist as described by mainstream religions.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Siz

Pragmatic nihilist.

Any further description is just window dressing.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

OldGit

I used to be a militant atheist, combative and always eager to argue my views.  Now I'm quite clear that there's no god, and I couldn't give a monkey's.  There are too many real issues to worry about, such as where did I leave my phone.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 02, 2016, 12:05:12 PM
Alabelist atheist. ;)

Took me a few seconds to work that one out, SPx!  :chin:  :thumbsup:

I actually meant this thread to be a bit if fun. But, on the devil's advocate side . . .

Maybe "labelling" is unavoidable, we think another as a "nice" or "nasty" person for example, which may be entirely subjective but try ignoring every such judgement!.  Labels are just descriptors that give us a mental image of a person., or even an object or sensation.

The more detailed and accurate the label the better the understanding and the fairer the judgement.

Asmodean

The Asmo wears labels, although, much like His pants, he gives very little thought to them.

To put it in perspective, namely my own, if the aliens landed on Earth and wanted to know stuff about me, "atheist" would not be among the words I would use to describe myself. I am, but only because humanity is divided based on their favourite superstition. In a world where believing in gods is for children, or just plain weird, "atheism" isn't even a thing.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

This subject was an absolute shit fest on Richard Dawkins Forum. It was absolutely herding cats! Atheists can argue at truly Olympian levels and this subject brings out the worst in them.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Kekerusey

Quote from: Tank on October 02, 2016, 07:03:31 PMThis subject was an absolute shit fest on Richard Dawkins Forum. It was absolutely herding cats! Atheists can argue at truly Olympian levels and this subject brings out the worst in them.

Although they tend towards a generally intelligent outlook on the world it seems to me that about the only thing atheists can actually agree on is that they don't believe in a god or gods.

I can definitely attest to the herding cats thing ... when we were running the SJS campaign and site even we (the admin guys) couldn't agree on much and. later, when we merged with BCSE we were complete f###ed! It's one of the reason I take the minimalist view on "atheism" because, despite the use of "ism", I believe there is no fixed philosophical component associated with it and that is is no more than a label indicating one's relationship with respect to claims of deity.

Keke
J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
The Abyssal Void War Book #1: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Dave

Quote from: Tank on October 02, 2016, 07:03:31 PM
This subject was an absolute shit fest on Richard Dawkins Forum. It was absolutely herding cats! Atheists can argue at truly Olympian levels and this subject brings out the worst in them.

One of the reasons, after a quick look, I stayed well clear of that forum! Missed that one but, frankly,  I thought it gave atheism a bad name. Though I had to agree with most of RD's points I was never really a follower of his style.

No reason for every atheist need to be like any other in detail, we are all informed by our genes and our life experience. But, that does give the theists an advantage, they have labels that give them unity of purpose.  They are more like sheep than cats but herds that have a purpose or aim in common can achieve more than anarchistic cats going in every direction at once.

I am not a member of the BHA at the moment but I am glad they, and similar organisations, exist as  places to offer a "lens" to focus effort.