News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Adams funeral.

Started by Mr. B, September 06, 2016, 05:26:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. B

I can't find any mention of this event in any Bible. Seems like a rather important event. I can't help but wonder what the ritual entailed. What was it supposedly like according to Christians or Jews or even Muslims?

I found a link on Wiki which describes the event but it is from a book written in German so I can't read the whole thing for myself. I was wandering if any of you had any insights to the literature surrounding Adams death.

Here is the link.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_of_Adam_and_Eve#Greek_Apocalypse_of_Moses

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Asmodean

Given the time he supposedly lived in, my thinking is that he probably got his ancient ass eaten by some fauna. Nothing left to bury and whatnot.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

OldGit

Agreed - it was probably the snake that got him.

No one

Adam never died, he is my neighbor. His recollection of the Eve and "snake" event are quite different then what is popularly believed.

Icarus

No it was not the snake that ate him. It was one of those near sighted herbivore dinosaurs that mistook him for an edible vegetable mass. Broccoli maybe.

Mr. B

Meh, all jokes aside.

There have been stories written about it. One as far back as C 237.

Since the first council of Nicaea was around C 325, why wasn't the burial of Adam included in the official Cannon?

I don't know why this is bugging me but I would appreciate some sober, more scholarly responses.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Pasta Chick

I asked my Catholic fiancé and his response was "What? Why does it even matter?"

...Now he's telling a story from the dog's point of view about how people back then lived to be like 1000 and then went back to their spaceships and turned back into ribs which were given to all the good dogs. But that doesn't matter because it's Old Testament and JC showed up and said "ignore all that shit" and I thought he just had Daddy issues but he also said we can be assholes our whole lives and just pray some before we die so it's all good.

...So that's why we get along.   

Mr. B

That's just it though, maybe that's why it is bugging me. Why don't Christians even think about this? (that's a rhetorical question. I understand that modern day cookie cut Christians don't think about these things because these things were never presented to them from someone with authority because it was left out of the official cannon and therefore... it never "officially" happened.)

It just seems like a hole in the narrative big enough to drive a Mack truck through if someone with more connection and more education than me were willing to drive the truck through it. I am unqualified and not licensed.

I just have a curious mind, it wanders where it will and ultimately leaves me to wonder where it has gone.

Recusant

The First Council of Nicea didn't set the canon, and in fact there is no evidence that the canon as such was even discussed at that council. "How the Canon Was Formed" | Westar Institute

As for why the Life of Adam and Eve was not included, I expect that there were theological reasons . . .

However, according to the Wikipedia article you cited, it sounds as if it had not been considered a core book of the Hebrew holy texts in the first place.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Asmodean

Quote from: Pasta Chick on September 07, 2016, 01:18:06 AM
...then went back to their spaceships and turned back into ribs which were given to all the good dogs.
That's the fate them monotheistic types reserve exclusively for women though, no? From rib thou cometh, by dogs thou shalt be eatethd or some such..? Or was it just the submissively-obedient and well-behaved womenfolk who got to be eaten once rather than roasted forever?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.