News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Is trying to justify the bible like trying to divide by zero?

Started by MatureMcLeod, August 19, 2016, 10:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MatureMcLeod

Christian: God can support rape, pedophillia, stealing, lying, genocide, infanticide, slavery, animal and child abuse because he's God and he said so. It's also a perfect, kind, loving and inerrant book that I never read and ignore all the time, but I can persecute people who have read it and can't justify it. Ddddddduuuuuuuhhhhhhh....

My Christian grandmother just told me something like this but not exactly.
What kind of evil is this?
Do you think trying to justify the bible is like trying to divide by zero?

Pasta Chick

Icarus

High regard for the inviolable nature  of the bible in any of its numerous iterations is one of my pet peeves.

Trying to justify or assign validity to the bible as the inerrant word of god, is a fools errand.  Those who insist that the Bible is a historical account of the Jesus are not easily moved by the simple logic that would discredit the book or collection of questionable mini books that it actually is.  In fact there are people who are so attuned to the bible, whichever one they happen to believe in, that they regard criticism of their book as a blasphemy punishable by torture or even death,

A large proportion of the people who worship the written word of the bible are intellectually incapable of understanding that dividing by zero yields an undefined result.  The denominator can approach zero as a limit such that the quotient approaches infinity but neither can actually reach that state of being.  Those of us who understand that simple concept are the ones most apt to read other pertinent books....such as , Inventing Jesus: Paul Gabel or The End of Biblical Studies: Hector Avalos. Neither is likely to be found in a Christian library.

Kekerusey

Well maths isn't The Bible's strong point ...

QuoteAnd he made a molten sea, ten cubits from the one rim to the other it was round all about, and a line of thirty cubits did compass it round about. And it was an hand breadth thick."
First Kings, chapter 7, verses 23 and 26

In my view The Bible, like many ancient books, is a valuable historic source but it can't be rationally argued to be an actual history.

Keke
J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
The Abyssal Void War Book #1: Stars, Hide Your Fires

OldGit

Is trying to hit fast-moving hedgehogs with lemon curd tarts like trying to do very hard sums?

No.

Asmodean

You can actually divide by zero to get some nasty infinity points and such. Riemann sphere, for instance, yields one if you divide one by zero.

That said, again, I suspect a somewhat faulty analogy. I think asking "Is trying to justify the Bible like trying to justify division by zero?" would be better.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.