News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

bioelectronics

Started by Dave, August 01, 2016, 07:46:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Being the recipient of a medical electronic implant, my pace maker/auto defibrillator, and and avid science fiction fan I amd something of an enthusiast for advances in this field.

There has been news that the Big Pharma GSK has teamed up with a Google sister company to spend half a billion in the field. Having opinions about both of these, and that the bottom line is making a fat profit, it seems like a good combination.

A variant of the device I have has been used to control Parkinsons by feeding pulses into the brain. Think I showed one clip elsewhere, but here is another, just to make the point how dramatic the effect on the patient of these devices can be.

There are others working on things like depression

Sight,  muscle enhancement etc. are obvious other fields.

Any one spots something interesting in this field, please stick it here.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Recusant

The Parkinson's/DBS video is very dramatic. Having known somebody who suffered from that disease several years ago, I can appreciate just how amazing this system is--too late for that person, but great to know that it's been developed. Thank you for that post, Gloucester.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

joeactor

Quote from: Recusant on August 01, 2016, 08:27:38 PM
The Parkinson's/DBS video is very dramatic. ... Thank you for that post, Gloucester.

My thoughts exactly. Quite astounding.

I wonder if it only alters the symptoms, or if it has any effect on the underlying damage caused by Parkinsons.

xSilverPhinx

Very interesting stuff, thanks for sharing!
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Should have titled this "Biotech"

joeactor

thanks, Gloucester - cool one.

Hadn't see a lot of those.

I wonder if the artificial hippocampus will be able to augment memory... or even connect to the internet!

Dave

Quote from: joeactor on July 21, 2017, 03:58:40 AM
thanks, Gloucester - cool one.

Hadn't see a lot of those.

I wonder if the artificial hippocampus will be able to augment memory... or even connect to the internet!

A similar thought occurred to me . . .

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: joeactor on July 21, 2017, 03:58:40 AM
...or even connect to the internet!

I hope not! I don't want some hacker accessing my recent and more detailed memories!
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey