News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Introducing the notorious Mr. B

Started by Mr. B, July 28, 2016, 01:14:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. B

Greetings Happy Atheists!

I am Mr. B. There may be a few members here who know me from IGI and/or WWGHA where my username is Mr. Blackwell. On those forums most people just shorten that the Mr. B so I figured I would just go with that moniker from the get go here. I am mostly a friendly sort of chap.

I am not looking for a new home per se. I am just looking to expand my family. I am a flighty person. A social butterfly, if you will. I am looking forward to meeting new people here. So, where to begin?

um.

Some things about me you may want or need to know...

1. After nearly 15 years of not reading books I recently dove back into the practice. I read six or seven Tom Clancy books back to back before I finally felt the need to cleanse my mental palate. Next, I read Khalil Gibran's "The Prophet" and Saul Alinsky's "Rules for Radicals".
Then I got about a third of the way through "The Satanic Verses" by Salman Rushdie before I lost interest. Then I read three novels and five short stories by Kurt Vonnegut. Earlier this week I reread "Illusions" by Richard Back. Now I am taking another break but I shouldn't last 15 years.

2. I have been happily married for fourteen years and my wife and I have produced three lovely daughters.

3. I still haven't figured out exactly where my political views fit on the spectrum. I am a registered voter but where I live we have open primaries so I have never registered with any parties. When I was in my teens and early 20's I just assumed that I was a liberal. Back then, I didn't put any thought into politics. I did vote for George H. W. Bush on his first term but he is the only Republican I have ever voted for in a general election.

4. Although I went to church regularly as a kid, I pretty much stopped going when I turned 16. I believe a lot of churches do a lot of good for their communities and I understand the sense of community that can be found in a church family but I am not a religious person. I haven't made up my mind about the existence of some sort of god or gods but I am fairly confident that whatever it or they might be, no one on this earth can claim any authority about what it's like or what it wants from us...if anything. I put as much credence in he Bible as I do the Quran or the Gita.

That's about it for the big things.

Oh, here is my score for the personality test.

Campaigner Personality (ENFP -A/-T)

Individual traits:
Extraverted – 68%
Intuitive – 72%
Feeling – 58%
Prospecting – 66%
Assertive – 83%.

Role: Diplomat

Strategy: People Mastery

I take this test about once a year and every time I take it, I get different results. So...I'm not really sure what it indicates.

Oh...and one last thing.

P.S.

I am somewhat of a contrarian. That seems to cause issues with some people.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Recusant

Hello and welcome to HAF, Mr. B. I've stopped by WWGHA a few times over the years, and probably have a lurker account there, but I'm not familiar with IGI. So it's possible that I've read some of your posts, but couldn't say I know you from there.

That was a pretty comprehensive intro. Contrarian, eh? Some might say that's somebody who automatically gainsays anything the other person says, to paraphrase one definition, but I wonder how you define it.  ;)

I guess we'll find out. I for one am looking forward to it. Meanwhile, here are some threads you might find interesting (though I think you've pretty much covered a few of them already):

Where did you get your username from?
10 Things About Yourself
Tell us A Bit About Where You're From
Photography
Non-religious pet peeves
Pets...what do you have?
How to tell your family you are an atheist
"Rules for Conducting a Discussion" by Dr. Mortimer J. Adler

. . . And of course, the Forum Rules.

I hope you enjoy your time reading and posting here!  :welcome:

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Asmodean

Quote from: Mr. B on July 28, 2016, 01:14:18 AM
I take this test about once a year and every time I take it, I get different results. So...I'm not really sure what it indicates.
Usually, that you are pretty much in the middle in one or more of the test categories and subtle deviations in your answers can tip the scales one way or the other easily.

Welcome to HaF!
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Welcome, Mr B!

I too get different results from these tests over time, even with the same test! Mood, life priotities etc may mean a one choice change here and there that can make a lot of difference.

Some tests are better. Back in the 70s I felt like a square peg in a round hole and took psychometric tests to find what work I should be doing. I took a similar, but now more sophisticated, test whilst on a college course in 2005.

Both gave roughly the same answer: give up on technology and become a lawyer, researcher, editor, administrator, analyst . . .

This despite my literally scoring 100% in the technical aspects of the last tests!

So, my base type, despite my working in engineering in a creative and successful  manner, had not changed much over 30 years. True, I still enjoy writing, editing, analysing etc.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tom62

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

imaginaryfriendless

Greetings and welcome!

I was told I was an ENTJ-A Commander. I guess I'm in charge after the revolution. Dress that gig line, soldier!
Jamie

98% of us will die, at some point in our lives.

Mr. B

Thanks, everyone, for the welcome!

Quote from: Recusant on July 28, 2016, 02:59:51 AM
Hello and welcome to HAF, Mr. B. I've stopped by WWGHA a few times over the years, and probably have a lurker account there, but I'm not familiar with IGI. So it's possible that I've read some of your posts, but couldn't say I know you from there.

I'll try not to hold that against you  ;D

QuoteThat was a pretty comprehensive intro. Contrarian, eh? Some might say that's somebody who automatically gainsays anything the other person says, to paraphrase one definition, but I wonder how you define it.  ;)

Well, I did quantify it by saying I was "somewhat" contrarian! It comes out in different ways and I really try not to do it to deliberately upset people. I mainly try to use my power for humor.

Also, sarcasm is my native language. I have been advised that sarcasm doesn't always translate well on discussion forums. So I try to be mindful of that as well.

QuoteI guess we'll find out. I for one am looking forward to it.

Thank you, me to.

Quote from: imaginaryfriendless on July 28, 2016, 10:25:57 PM
Greetings and welcome!

I was told I was an ENTJ-A Commander. I guess I'm in charge after the revolution. Dress that gig line, soldier!

Yes Sir!

Thank you for your service.

You got yourself one hell of an introduction thread going. I'm getting ready to start reading page 3. It may interest you to know that my wife is from Texas and I am from Tennessee. We live 40 minutes away from Davy Crockett's birthplace.  ;)
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Evelyn Beatrice Hall

imaginaryfriendless

You got yourself one hell of an introduction thread going. I'm getting ready to start reading page 3. It may interest you to know that my wife is from Texas and I am from Tennessee. We live 40 minutes away from Davy Crockett's birthplace.  ;)

Yes, I'm not entirely sure how that happened, but it took on a life of it's own. I'm keeping a path clear in case I have to make a sudden tactical withdrawal.

So your wife is automatically good people. Don't try to ride her coat tails, you'll have to carve your own path, my friend. Tennessee is one of those states that gets you in the door but doesn't automatically get you a membership card. I have relatives in Tn that I adore, and others that would be cannon fodder in a civilized society. So far you're looking good, as it happens I speak sarcasm fluently.
Jamie

Mr. B

Quote from: Asmodean on July 28, 2016, 08:42:16 AM
Quote from: Mr. B on July 28, 2016, 01:14:18 AM
Usually, that you are pretty much in the middle in one or more of the test categories and subtle deviations in your answers can tip the scales one way or the other easily.

Welcome to HaF!

Thank you!

Yeah, I answered two questions as "neutral". Several were only one dot away. It just screws up my synapse whenever these tests ask questions in the absolute....like "always" or "never". It's all subjectively intuitive BS scored against an objective mold in my humble opinion. I like taking personality tests but I am skeptical about how they are used in hiring.

Mr. B

Quote from: Gloucester on July 28, 2016, 04:38:36 PM
Welcome, Mr B!

Thank you!

QuoteI too get different results from these tests over time, even with the same test! Mood, life priotities etc may mean a one choice change here and there that can make a lot of difference.

I agree.

QuoteBoth gave roughly the same answer: give up on technology and become a lawyer, researcher, editor, administrator, analyst . . .

I have gotten so much different advice it's ridiculous. Preacher, linguist, teacher, mortician etc. Apparently I am consistently empathetic. 

I applied for a job with Terminixtm twice in my mid 20's. Both times I scored perfect on their cognitive test. Both times I failed on their personality test. The manager even called up his regional manager the second time because he said he had never seen anyone pass the first test with a perfect score twice in his 20 years with the company. He was asking his manager if there was some sort of loophole to get around failing the personality test twice. He was sitting there with me face to face and wanted to hire me but, the company guidelines wouldn't allow it because I didn't match closely enough to the personality of one of their most successful sales person's personality. There were about 150 questions on that test. Bottom line, the personality test was more important. I didn't get the job.

All that so I could go to peoples houses and spray some chemicals.

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

imaginaryfriendless

Yeah, I answered two questions as "neutral". Several were only one dot away. It just screws up my synapse whenever these tests ask questions in the absolute....like "always" or "never". It's all subjectively intuitive BS scored against an objective mold in my humble opinion. I like taking personality tests but I am skeptical about how they are used in hiring.

In the "Not the same thing, but just as ludicrous" category...when I was a police officer most larger departments required a lie detector test prior to hiring- pass/fail, and no appeals. These were licensed state police officers, who had been through extensive testing, background checks, psychological evaluations with psychiatrists, etc...besides taking and passing the state licensing exam. If they failed the polygraph, they were marked as un-hirable by that department, period...no way to re-test, nothing.

The really ironic thing is that in law enforcement, the polygraph is essentially useless. It's used to rattle suspects or intimidate reluctant witnesses, but polygraph results are inadmissible in court due to the high rate of inaccuracy as well as the fact that a person can be trained to defeat the machine.

So the criminals were protected against the polygraph, while the police were at its mercy.

It's a strange world we live in.
Jamie

joeactor

Welcome ol' Chap! (is that your video or just one you like?)