News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Talking to myself . . .

Started by Dave, July 04, 2016, 07:38:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magdalena

Quote from: Davin on April 19, 2017, 04:09:39 PM

I like iced tea.  :yum:
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on April 19, 2017, 04:25:12 PM
Quote from: Father Bruno on April 19, 2017, 03:57:24 PM
We made our tea, and sat together drinking it in comfortable silence while enjoying the garden view, the chatter of birds, the play of dogs and I'm sure the comforting memories of our lives.

That is so impressionistically evocative - quite beautiful. It brought to mind Eartha Kitt singing Lazy Afternoon.

Ah, Eartha Kitt. Ah . . .

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

hermes2015

Thanks Gloucester. You obviously see what I mean.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Gloucester on April 19, 2017, 04:52:08 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on April 19, 2017, 04:25:12 PM
We made our tea, and sat together drinking it in comfortable silence while enjoying the garden view, the chatter of birds, the play of dogs and I'm sure the comforting memories of our lives.

That is so impressionistically evocative - quite beautiful. It brought to mind Eartha Kitt singing Lazy Afternoon.

Ah, Eartha Kitt. Ah . . .

Yes, Eartha Kitt singing this song is the perfect accompaniment to my memory of that afternoon, thanks Hermes, both for the choice of song and the compliment.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Icarus

You have to be pretty old to remember that Eartha Kitt was once a popular entertainer. I am, and I do.

hermes2015

Quote from: Icarus on April 20, 2017, 05:33:49 AM
You have to be pretty old to remember that Eartha Kitt was once a popular entertainer. I am, and I do.
That's true, and I am also old enough. However, I also believe that good music (and design, art, and everything else) is timeless. That is why one can still appreciate Bach and Mozart. Or a Chanel dress from the 1930s.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: Icarus on April 20, 2017, 05:33:49 AM

Me, too!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Dragonia

I just returned from vacation abroad and I while gone I realized one thing that I feel is very important or at least I personally feel is important and needs to be noted or written down; I'm equally surprised I never thought of or noticed this before.

The whistle of the teapot speaks all languages does it not? I was sitting one afternoon with a family member of my wife in Honduras, and we had decided to have tea together outside in the garden while we were waiting for others to join us.

We had been to a lovely market the day before, and I picked up some Marrakesh Mint Green Tea along with some local raw honey.

When the tea kettle started to whistle I commented how relaxing and even sentimental the sound made me feel. From the early bustle of the pot as the water comes to boil and then on to the early wisps of the whistle itself until it reaches full sound, and then of course the short spats of the whistle as it is removed from the heat source to a cold burner.

I close my eyes and I'm a young boy at home running into our kitchen turning off the kettle for my mother, or if I close my eyes even harder I'm an even younger boy sitting at the kitchen table of my grandparents home, anxiously awaiting my tea and cookies from my Nana.

My tea partner this afternoon made a similar comment about how she also loved the sound of the kettle whistle, and found it equally relaxing. The tea kettle she said was a reminder of the importance of slowing down each day if just enough to take a break and relax for a short time and enjoy the present.

I alway's like this quote about tea.

It snowed last year too: I made a snowman and my brother knocked it down and I knocked my brother down and then we had tea."
― Dylan Thomas, A Child's Christmas in Wales

OH, i just love this whole post....
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Sandra Craft

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Icarus

I have fond memories of the tea ceremonies I had with my daughter when she was five years old.  We did make actual tea and we enjoyed it in pleasing quietude and love for each other. I referred to her, during those ceremonies as Miss Muffet........ nostalgia is sweet.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Icarus on April 22, 2017, 07:45:53 AM
I have fond memories of the tea ceremonies I had with my daughter when she was five years old.  We did make actual tea and we enjoyed it in pleasing quietude and love for each other. I referred to her, during those ceremonies as Miss Muffet........ nostalgia is sweet.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm too nostalgic, too sentimental as I often have a hard time letting go of material things because of the sentimental value I give them.

I mean I have small toys from when I was a boy adorning my dresser, my father's dress green jacket from the Army hangs in my closet next to mine...my mother's winter cap is on my hat rack, and both of my parents have long since passed away.

Wonder around my house, even my garage and workroom and you'll see things like that all over, from furniture, to bar signs, heck I have my father's shaving brush on display in my bookshelf. (It's old, ivory handled on a stand)

Weird huh?

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Dragonia

Not weird so much, just .....  sentimental!  And another dimension to your nostalgia is the fact that it sounds like a lot of what you hang on to and display are actual pieces of history, both personal and Americana. That's kind of neat! I say surround yourself with what you love! Screw what others think about it.
I myself am not very sentimental, and I can kind of trace why that personality trait developed in me. I get rid of stuff like you wouldn't believe. But there are definitely times that I wish so much that I had kept something. 
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Magdalena

I like this place because I learn a lot about the universe and myself. I'm comfortable here. This place is priceless.

:love: Dionysus :love:

Anyone...Can I get an amen? :tellmemore:  Please?

~Thank you.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

hermes2015

Quote from: Magdalena on May 07, 2017, 06:06:21 AM
I like this place because I learn a lot about the universe and myself. I'm comfortable here. This place is priceless.

:love: Dionysus :love:

Anyone...Can I get an amen? :tellmemore:  Please?

~Thank you.
Amen, sister!
― Charles Eames