News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

For Only $2.99 You Can Have the Emoji Bible

Started by Recusant, May 30, 2016, 04:43:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

Hmm. . .

The story as it appears in the International Business Times has a more neutral title ("New Emoji Bible Attempts To Make Christianity 'More Approachable' As Millennials Leave Church") than the RawStory link below, but the page includes an asinine auto-play video.

It made me think of our new member (aka Fred) IDontHateBelievers' thread about the Bible.

"Desperate Christians try luring millennials to faith with 'emoji' Bible" | RawStory

QuoteIt's a holy book, it's $2.99 and it might just save religion among young people.

"Bible Emoji: Scripture 4 Millennials" was released Sunday in the iBooks store. It's exactly what it sounds like: an adaptation of the King James Version of the Bible using internet slang and emoji, the adorable emoticons frequently used in text messages and tweets. Translated over the past six months by a person who identifies himself or herself only as the sunglasses-guy emoji, the objective of the emoji Bible is to make the text more appealing to people of various backgrounds and age groups.

"[Emoji are] language-agnostic — they allow you to convey an idea to anyone, regardless of what language they speak," the creator told the Memo exclusively. "A major goal of this whole process was to take a book that I think is very non-approachable to lay readers and try to make it more approachable by removing a lot of its density."

The 3,282-page emoji Bible includes interpretations of all 66 books in the Bible and advertises itself as a "fun way to share the gospel." But it's already causing controversy, pointing to a larger challenge facing modern Christians: How do you engage millennials without being cheesy?

[Continues . . .]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Sandra Craft

That is desperate.  Maybe it's just my age, but I can't help thinking an emoji filled bible would be very distracting.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Velma

This is not the first time Christians have tried to tap into pop culture in an attempt to make Christianity "relevant." It did not work then. I seriously doubt this will work now.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

No one

xSilverPhinx

Though I wouldn't pay to have a look, I do wonder what the final "translation" is.  :chin:  Probably something overly picturesque and tiring, such as: 

...and I wonder how many times they used something similar to  :love: ?

:mysterious:
:incense: = :fishing: 
:rainbowpuke:

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

:snicker:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Crow

Retired member.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Crow

Lets see if people can guess the biblical story. This should be easy.

Retired member.

Magdalena

Quote from: Crow on June 01, 2016, 08:28:02 PM
Lets see if people can guess the biblical story. This should be easy.

Is this, Genesis 22:1–2?
1. God said to Abraham, "Take a your kid and a knife and kill him."
2. Abraham said, "I love you, so I will."
3. God said, "Stop!" (I think that's an angel, laughing because he thinks the whole thing is hilarious. :eyeroll:) And he says, "Instead, cut the tip of your eggplants, always."
4. Abraham said, "OK, I will because I love you."
5. God said, "I am shocked and I can't believe how stupid you really are."

...Well, something like that, right?

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Magdalena

^^^^
That's just gonna cause more confusion.  :sadshake:
I wonder what they're gonna use for Ezekiel 23:20:notsure:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Velma

^^^^^

I'm thinking they're going to have to make some up.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Recusant

According to the article, this "book" doesn't just use emoji--it also uses "internet slang." The thing is, probably more than half of that will be outdated in a year or two. They'll have to keep putting out new editions. A fine cash cow, if it takes off.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

No one

Outdated and bible? Surely you jest,  this can't be so.

Icarus

Hey the price is right. Maybe more non reader creatards will be motivated to read the bible. (More truth than poetry).