News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Okies gone bonkers.

Started by Icarus, May 21, 2016, 12:00:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icarus

Hot off the press today.........Some Oklahoma legislators intend to bring impeachment proceedings against President Obama.  Those legislators believe that the presidents position on the current bathroom flap is cause for removal.   :???:

Recusant

They've been having a busy week in the Oklahoma statehouse. Voted to make abortion illegal in the state (vetoed by the governor, apparently because she realized the state would end up spending money on a futile effort to defend the law from a constitutional challenge), and on the absurd "protect the children" front:

QuoteLawmakers in the socially conservative state took up another measure on Friday that would allow students to claim a religious right to have separate but equal bathrooms and changing facilities to segregate them from transgender students.

That bill, introduced on Thursday night and referred to a Senate committee on Friday, could force schools into costly construction, which would be difficult for them to complete after lawmakers significantly cut education funding to plug a $1.3 billion state budget shortfall.

[source]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Waski_the_Squirrel

There must be something in the water in Oklahoma. I see those forces in my own state (North Dakota) but most of the time the rational people manage to come out ahead.

If I were in Oklahoma, I would bring up the obvious: love him or hate him, Mr. Obama will be gone in less than a year. What would be the point of impeachment at this point? And it's such a trivial issue anyway no matter what side you're on. Impeachment should be reserved for serious matters. Unfortunately, the constitution does not make that clear enough, so crazy people see the opening to impeach on the grounds of "I disagree."

Our country is in the midst of growing pains and a cultural shift. The religious are seeing it slip away from them, and it terrifies them. This Pew study gives me hope for the future, however.

http://www.pewforum.org/2015/05/12/americas-changing-religious-landscape/

Ecurb Noselrub

The governor vetoed the abortion bill.  It was clearly unconstitutional.  Look, OK is hot, dry, windy, and has tornadoes.  People go crazy there.

Harmonie

Worst of all, I saw how they stated it was for "health and safety". I'm like, um... excuse me, but what about the health of safety of transgender people?! Using the bathroom isn't necessarily something you fully choose to do. It's a biological need. While one may choose to hold it in, it can cause serious health issues.

Once again, the conservatives speak of protecting concepts that they are severely impeding upon. This party needs to go. They're hurting people and I'm sick of it. A transgender woman I know has been having breakdowns lately because of all of this, and how she's treated at work. Let her go to the bathroom. God. She's not even remotely a predator, just a woman who happened to be born the wrong sex.

God I might prefer to use the bathroom with her, because at least I know she'll mind her own darn business and give me space unlike cis people.

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on May 21, 2016, 06:34:35 PM
The governor vetoed the abortion bill.  It was clearly unconstitutional.  Look, OK is hot, dry, windy, and has tornadoes.  People go crazy there.

I think we go crazy more because our weather is bipolar as heck. I've seen it go through the range of both solstices in a span of two days (90 degrees to an ice storm). I've seen it hit -30 F and go up to 80 F in one week, too.

Oklahoma is a crazy place. No one should live there. Just don't.

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony