Author Topic: New Blog Post: Has Evolution Been Proven?  (Read 2444 times)

hackenslash

• A Frood Who Really Knows Where Their Towel Is
Dogma is the death of the intellect - hackenslash

No man is more hopelessly enslaved than one who falsely believes he's free - Goethe

If I showed your preposterous beliefs the respect you think they deserve, I wouldn't be showing you the respect you deserve - hackenslash

Recusant

• Miscreant Erendrake
  • Administrator
  • Guardian of Reason
  • infidel barbarian
Re: New Blog Post: Has Evolution Been Proven?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 07:41:19 AM »
Reading and appreciating! I'll at least comment here, even if I can't find any quibbles.  :)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Father Bruno

• Deranged Psychopathic Twinkle Toes
  • Blessing Her Holy Hooves
  • Save water. Shower together!
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 08:50:10 AM »
Very excellent, I enjoyed reading that quite a bit...and shared it on twitter. Thank you for posting.

Invariably when discussing evolution with creationists or listening to them on the radio arguing against it evolution the word random is one of the first to enter the conversation from their side which is why I particiully like this bit from your post.

Properly, evolution is neither random nor non-random. It's stochastic, which means simply that future states of the system are contingent upon initial conditions plus one or more random variables.

Every taco is hand rolled with exotic Mexican spices by genuine Mayan Virgins.
Or. Carlos, depending on who's available.

Essie Mae

• Free to think.
  • Thou Art God
  • I Hope Uncle Bert is still my friend.
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 05:07:18 PM »
Very good - only skimmed it tonight; too tired to read deeply, but will revisit. Fantastic to have articles like that freely available. Bit hard to explain to a creationist.
ESs
Rational arguments don't usually work on religious people; otherwise there would be no religious people. House MD

hackenslash

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 04:12:37 AM »
Thanks peeps. If you enjoy that, be sure to check out my other posts, most of which are about physics and philosophy, but generally with some debunking element to them.

No man is more hopelessly enslaved than one who falsely believes he's free - Goethe

If I showed your preposterous beliefs the respect you think they deserve, I wouldn't be showing you the respect you deserve - hackenslash

Magdalena

• Butterfly of Doom.
  • Guardian of Reason
  • Angry hippies need to smoke cheap weed.
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 11:56:24 AM »
Hackenslash and Recusant, I don’t know much about, abiogenesis, cosmological evolution, organic evolution, thermodynamics, natural selection, etc…But you inspire me to want to know more about it.

So, thank you.  ;D

“I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe.” ~Recusant

"Color me fascinated..." ~Asmodean, The Gray God.

hackenslash

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 01:55:05 PM »
That's all the thanks I need, knowing that somebody gets something out of it.

Incidentally, you're not the only butterfly of doom of my acquaint. The other one is considerably more doomy, though, and the inspiration for one of my favourite occasional signature lines:

There is no more thunderous prescient of doom than the flutter of tiny wings...

Tank knows whomof I speak.

Tank

• Fed up with stupid.
  • Administrator
  • Excellent and Indefatigable Guardian of Reason
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 02:02:20 PM »

Incidentally, you're not the only butterfly of doom of my acquaint. The other one is considerably more doomy, though, and the inspiration for one of my favourite occasional signature lines:

I do  :grin:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
“Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt.” ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Magdalena

• Butterfly of Doom.
  • Guardian of Reason
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2016, 07:37:33 PM »

I do  :grin:

Yes, hackenslash, you and I met when Gerry Rzeppa was here trying to ‘find common ground’ with us. Remember that?  Who could forget it? You mentioned that butterfly of doom and Ecurb Noselrub posted a sample of his work…Very impressive, there’s no way I could ever compete with him.   :smileshake:

...Tank gave me that title, he has a funny sense of humor because we know the butterfly of doom both of you know, is nothing like me, we’re as different as the Great Auk and the Emperor Penguin...Tank is so funny.  :lol:
:foottap:

:grin:

Anyways....
One thing is clear...butterflies follow you, hackenslash;)

“I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe.” ~Recusant

hackenslash

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2016, 08:01:46 AM »
Yes, hackenslash, you and I met when Gerry Rzeppa was here trying to ‘find common ground’ with us. Remember that?  Who could forget it? You mentioned that butterfly of doom and Ecurb Noselrub posted a sample of his work…Very impressive, there’s no way I could ever compete with him.   :smileshake:

Ah yes, I recall.

Anyways....

Umm, I think they're bluebottles...

Magdalena

• Butterfly of Doom.
  • Guardian of Reason
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2016, 03:42:02 PM »

Ah yes, I recall.

Anyways....

Umm, I think they're bluebottles...
:snicker:

Fine, how about something in the middle...like a moth?
Like a moth to a flame.
Your posts, illuminate, or enlighten me.

hackenslash

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2016, 04:32:11 PM »
Just for you.

And thank you for your kind comments.

Magdalena

• Butterfly of Doom.
  • Guardian of Reason
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2016, 07:37:18 PM »
^^^
Nice...

:grin:

Icarus

• The wise one.
  • Blessing Her Holy Hooves
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2016, 03:56:12 PM »
Mags, the butterfly is enormously influential as most students of Chaos Theory are well aware. Surely that suggests that you are a special person kind of butterfly. Wear your wings well.

Magdalena

• Butterfly of Doom.
  • Guardian of Reason
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2016, 08:51:58 PM »
Mags, the butterfly is enormously influential as most students of Chaos Theory are well aware. Surely that suggests that you are a special person kind of butterfly. Wear your wings well.
Icarus, your wings are not so bad either.  ;)

Wait. "Wear you wings well..."  :scratch: --What does this mean?
Does this mean that I should behave a little bit more?
--You know that's not impossible, but very difficult for me butterflies, right?  :(