News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Extremeism

Started by Tank, May 15, 2016, 10:21:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

An interesting piece on extremism by John Cleese.

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Tank on May 15, 2016, 10:21:11 AM
An interesting piece on extremism by John Cleese.

He's convinced me.  I'm going to be an extremist.  Working on my list of enemies right now.

xSilverPhinx

My list of enemies keeps growing, and I feel great! :grin:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Asmodean

Extremism is many different things.

You may be considered political extremist if you go beyond the fringe of the mainstream politics. Same for religion. In the video... Well, you can have all those enemies, with the exception of moderates, without actually being an extremist.

Politically, left and right are all good and well, but in my area, at least, a new kind of extremist is rising and getting a voice - the unaffiliated "Green" save-the-world-for-it's-your-job asshole. Those are my enemies. Also, I disapprove of unions, the clergy, people who are all for "seeing the bigger picture" unless of course it becomes too big (Oh, really? By whos fucking standards is MY big picture too fucking big?)

...Also, I do have a problem with certain - many, I suppose - moderates. Those who sort of do it in the name of political correctness. The do let us try to please all and see where we get crowd.

Am I an extremist? Of sorts, yes. But I'm neither right, left nor center in my fringe-crossing political view, I'm not religious (and you cannot be an atheist extremist; or what could the 8 on the Dawkins' scale be?) nor do I claim that any good comes from me or that all evil comes from my enemies.

So, is there an IQ-cap or something on extremism working as a means of feeling good, or am I just doing it wrong? (Get some enemies, then blame them)
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Asmodean on May 21, 2016, 07:36:55 AM
Extremism is many different things.

You may be considered political extremist if you go beyond the fringe of the mainstream politics. Same for religion. In the video... Well, you can have all those enemies, with the exception of moderates, without actually being an extremist.

Politically, left and right are all good and well, but in my area, at least, a new kind of extremist is rising and getting a voice - the unaffiliated "Green" save-the-world-for-it's-your-job asshole. Those are my enemies. Also, I disapprove of unions, the clergy, people who are all for "seeing the bigger picture" unless of course it becomes too big (Oh, really? By whos fucking standards is MY big picture too fucking big?)

...Also, I do have a problem with certain - many, I suppose - moderates. Those who sort of do it in the name of political correctness. The do let us try to please all and see where we get crowd.

Am I an extremist? Of sorts, yes. But I'm neither right, left nor center in my fringe-crossing political view, I'm not religious (and you cannot be an atheist extremist; or what could the 8 on the Dawkins' scale be?) nor do I claim that any good comes from me or that all evil comes from my enemies.

So, is there an IQ-cap or something on extremism working as a means of feeling good, or am I just doing it wrong? (Get some enemies, then blame them)

In a recent poll, 96% of Luxembourgians think that you are an extremist, but 98% of the rats in Luxembourg agree with your views.  So, one man's extremist is another man's god, I suppose.

Asmodean

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on May 22, 2016, 09:51:35 PM
In a recent poll, 96% of Luxembourgians think that you are an extremist, but 98% of the rats in Luxembourg agree with your views.  So, one man's extremist is another man's god, I suppose.
God, saint or at the very least hero. Sinister as the implication may be, extremism is indeed relative to the observer (hence my references to "mainstream" in defining extremism above)
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Asmodean on May 22, 2016, 10:23:11 PM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on May 22, 2016, 09:51:35 PM
God, saint or at the very least hero. Sinister as the implication may be, extremism is indeed relative to the observer (hence my references to "mainstream" in defining extremism above)

Agree.