News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Public Breast-Feeding

Started by Sandra Craft, March 21, 2016, 11:50:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

I've been trying to sort this issue out in my mind, not because I have a problem with it but because I don't understand why it causes so much strong emotion.  Not really having much luck with it so I thought I'd throw it out here.

Most recently I saw a video of an actor (I think it was Alyssa Milano) defending public breastfeeding to a talk show host, also a mother, who found it disgusting.  Milano said that the problem was that people were sexualizing the breast.

I don't think this can be it tho.  Aside from those few people who object also to Victoria's Secret models and bikinis on the beach, most people have no problem with women's bodies being sexualized.  Even men's bodies are becoming increasingly sexualized these days by the general public and no one except the usual prudes makes a fuss about it.

My suspicion is that the disgust is caused because breast-feeding desexualizes the breast, turning it from a fun toy for men and a trophy for women into a mere workaday tool and there goes all the excitement (unless one has a breast-feeding fetish, and I can't cover all the bases). 

Anyway, that's my best guess so far.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Claireliontamer

I have no idea why it causes such a stir either.  I have to say though I had nothing but positive experiences here in the UK when I breastfed Scamp.  I fed her in all sorts of places until she got too nosey to feed in public (and if you've ever had a baby attached to your nipple who then sees something exciting and turns their head without stopping the suckling you'll know how painful that is!) and didn't have a negative comment said to me at all. 

xSilverPhinx

I also don't see what the big deal is, unless it's a child that should be fully weaned but isn't, lIke when mothers still suckle their 3 or 4 year old. Then it becomes weird. It's not my business, but it's weird nonetheless.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Claireliontamer

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 21, 2016, 03:10:06 PM
I also don't see what the big deal is, unless it's a child that should be fully weaned but isn't, lIke when mothers still suckle their 3 or 4 year old. Then it becomes weird. It's not my business, but it's weird nonetheless.

Late breastfeeding is quite a strange thing.  Personally I don't see how they keep doing it, they must have children with better concentration than mine!  I kept going to 12-months which is a bit longer than some people but by about 9-months I was just expressing and giving her the milk in a cup. 

Guardian85

I've worked security in a lot of public places here in Norway. I have seen many women breast-feed on park benches, in cafes, in libraries, etc. Never, however, seen for myself or heard from my colleagues of anyone who had a problem with it.

Maybe Norwegians just don't give as much of a shit about the boobies?

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Tom62

Quote from: Guardian85 on March 21, 2016, 04:10:32 PM
I've worked security in a lot of public places here in Norway. I have seen many women breast-feed on park benches, in cafes, in libraries, etc. Never, however, seen for myself or heard from my colleagues of anyone who had a problem with it.

Maybe Norwegians just don't give as much of a shit about the boobies?

The same here in Germany and in the Netherlands.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Biggus Dickus

It's mostly here in "Murica where I think folks have a problem with it. (I'm sure in some countries in outlawed, and even punishable by stoning, but you would expect people to think differently in a so-called advance society)

I saw that interview you're speaking of and was kind of shocked that another woman would protest against a mother feeding her child.

And I agree with your assessment Books as I think it has more to do with the desexualizing of the breast which causes the most discomfort for those opposed by it.

Some of the reaction by folks I've seen on YouTube or news reports almost make it seem like they find it dirty, or disgusting, it boggles the mind really.

Here is a "What Would You Do" Episode on this very thing. According to this 57 percent of Americans disapprove of public breastfeeding, although it's a least 6 years old.
I bet Trump disapproves of it, along with most conservatives, but I was surprised Bill Maher disapproves? (He can be such a prick sometimes)

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Pasta Chick

You see, it's not boobs that are disgusting dirty filth, it's nipples. And models don't have nipples.

Pasta Chick

I also believe there's a good deal of dehumanizing the sexualized women happening. Obviously they're showing their tits, they're filthy whores who aren't smart enough to get a real job (but we deserve to keep seeing more of them anyway, after all she's asking for it). Respectable women should keep covered (those boobs belong to her husband).

Firebird

Quote from: Bruno de la Pole on March 21, 2016, 04:47:17 PM
And I agree with your assessment Books as I think it has more to do with the desexualizing of the breast which causes the most discomfort for those opposed by it.

I think this is it too. Also just general American prudishness. I remember being stunned (and thrilled) when I went to Greece as an 11-year-old and seeing postcards with boobs(!) on display and the women sunbathing topless. You'd never see anything like that so publicly here, too many people would freak out and worry "about the children". Europe's much more civilized and mature in that way.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Guardian85

Quote from: Bruno de la Pole on March 21, 2016, 04:47:17 PM

I bet Trump disapproves of it, along with most conservatives, but I was surprised Bill Maher disapproves? (He can be such a prick sometimes)

Bill Maher has a well documented dislike of children, breast-feeding or otherwise.  ;)

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Tank

I wonder if there is an element of 'I wouldn't do that so why should you!' in this? The TV host had been so indoctrinated to find any aspect of her own feminine physiology abhorrent that she displaced and transferred those feelings onto others? Along the lines of 'I would feel disgusted so you should too.'
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Pasta Chick on March 21, 2016, 05:09:52 PM
You see, it's not boobs that are disgusting dirty filth, it's nipples. And models don't have nipples.

But on the other hand, men flash their nipples all the time and only Putin gets called on it.
Sandy

Sandra Craft

I'm not sure whether these two videos are staged or not -- cannot wrap my mind around anyone telling a stranger "that's disgusting" for breast-feeding -- but I thought they were interesting.  Part 2, breast-feeding vs. sexy, comes before part 1, just plain breast-feeding in public:

Sandy

Pasta Chick

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on March 21, 2016, 10:37:48 PM
Quote from: Pasta Chick on March 21, 2016, 05:09:52 PM

But on the other hand, men flash their nipples all the time and only Putin gets called on it.

Yes, but those are man nipples, which are different because reasons.