News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

How do you think Obama will be remembered?

Started by Claireliontamer, March 17, 2016, 07:23:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claireliontamer

Just curious as what you all think will be written in the history books of the future.

Firebird

History's going to look back on him very, very well.
Bill Maher once compared him to the first African-American to play in Major League Baseball, Jackie Robinson, and it's very apt here. Jackie endured all sorts of racial abuse and never once spoke up or reacted angrily, just put his head down and played and kicked ass. That's a significant part of Obama's legacy. But hell, anyone who accomplished what he did deserves quite a bit of recognition:

- prevented a depression
- overhauled the health care system
- pulled us out of Iraq and Afghanista
- invested heavily in green jobs
- took out Osama bin Laden
- re-established ties with Cuba
- ended Don't Ask Don't Tell
- made a nuclear agreement with Iran

I could go on. And he did all of this in the face of outright hostility from Congress, with racist overtones, yet managed to get elected twice. How he managed to stay as calm and rational as he has is in the face of all the abuse he's taken is beyond me.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Nam

In nonbiased and liberal history books: probably very well. In Conservative history books: the Antichrist.

-Nam
I'm on the road less traveled...

OldGit

He's clearly show his antipathy to the UK, so cobblers to him.

Crow

Quote from: OldGit on March 18, 2016, 09:46:16 AM

I would as well if I was him. Our politicians are like parasites trying to feed of their economy and achievements whilst having the pretence of being a super power. You would think public school boys would have learned the basics of knowing ones place in the world.
Retired member.

Recusant

Do you have a list of grievances you could post?
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

Quote from: Recusant on March 18, 2016, 12:44:16 PM

Do you have a list of grievances you could post?
Jezus how long have you got to read it!  :grin:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Recusant

Quote from: Tank on March 18, 2016, 12:50:46 PMJezus how long have you got to read it!  :grin:

Some substantive issues would be of interest.  ;)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Crow

Quote from: Recusant on March 18, 2016, 01:27:16 PM
Quote from: Tank on March 18, 2016, 12:50:46 PMJezus how long have you got to read it!  :grin:

Look for some Telegraph articles or anything pro "Brexit".
Retired member.

Nam

Quote from: Crow on March 18, 2016, 02:15:00 PM
Quote from: Recusant on March 18, 2016, 01:27:16 PM

Look for some Telegraph articles or anything pro "Brexit".

Why does he have to do the research when you made the statement?

-Nam

Crow

Quote from: Nam on March 18, 2016, 06:38:19 PM

-Nam

No I didn't.

Apply your intellect when reading and you might notice not only are their different names attached to the posts but very different looking avatars.
Retired member.

Nam

Quote from: Crow on March 18, 2016, 07:35:35 PM
Quote from: Nam on March 18, 2016, 06:38:19 PM

-Nam

No I didn't.

Apply your intellect when reading and you might notice not only are their different names attached to the posts but very different looking avatars.

It was a mistake. They happen.  I'm on a phone, everything's condensed.

-Nam

Ecurb Noselrub

He's certainly not the worst we've had, nor the best.  I'd put him about 15-20 of the 43 we've had (there are only 43, not 44, as Grover Cleveland is counted twice for his two non-consecutive terms). Lincoln would be 1, Buchanan 43. 

Tom62

I think that he will only be remembered for being the first [half] black democratic president.
Like Bruce already said, he is not the best nor the worst president of the USA.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Bad Penny

I'd like him to be remembered well so I'd like president Hillary to make the Obamacare term official, put in on all the paperwork.  Let all future conservative rodents accepting care know where it came from.

The actual care could obviously do with a bit of broadening though.