News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

God's Debris by Scott Adams

Started by joeactor, June 14, 2008, 04:48:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joeactor

Hello gang,

Just wondering if anyone else has read "God's Debris" by Dilbert creator Scott Adams?

I had read it several months back and found some of the content to be thought provoking.

You can download a free PDF copy here...

... and there's a Wiki summary on it here.

Happy Exploring,
JoeActor

Will

HA! The premise is very clever.
QuoteGod's Debris creates a philosophy based on the idea that the simplest explanation tends to be the best (a corruption of Occam's Razor). It surmises that an omnipotent God annihilated himself in the Big Bang, because an omniscient God would already know everything possible except his own lack of existence, and exists now as the smallest units of matter and the law of probability, or "God's debris", hence the title.
I'd like to think of myself as perpetually existing between skeptic and avatar. I could never make the full shift to avatar as whether I "believe" in science is immaterial; science is.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

curiosityandthecat

Love, love, love that book. I read it a few years back during my undergrad. Got onto a roll with books like it: Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah by Richard Bach, The Way of the Peaceful Warrior by Dan Millman, God's Debris of course, and the like.

I recall finishing the book and turning directly to page one to begin again. The Religion War was really good, too. I can't remember which one of them, but in the introduction he talks about the language he uses in the book and how it contains aspects of ... well, hypnosis, basically. It creates a feeling of being deeply moved by the book but not truly remembering anything you just read.  :D
-Curio

joeactor

Will: yeah, the premise is very interesting.  It's a good read - surprising how many concepts are explored.

Curio:  Cool!  I'll have to check out those other books in my (dubious) spare time - thanks!

MommaSquid

I read God's Debris a few years ago, and thoroughly enjoyed it.  The chapter entitled Relationships was especially entertaining.  I agree with this bit:  
QuotePeople do not follow advice.  People are only capable of receiving information.

Scott Adams said he used elements of hypnosis in this book.   :eek:

I wasn't as impressed with The Religion War.  Eventually I'll read them both again, but right now I'm working on The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins.

joeactor

Quote from: "MommaSquid"...right now I'm working on The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins.
Yeah, me too... It's the kind of book I just can't seem to pick up ;-)

MommaSquid

Quote from: "joeactor"
Quote from: "MommaSquid"...right now I'm working on The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins.
Yeah, me too... It's the kind of book I just can't seem to pick up ;-)

Oh, no!  I'm quite the opposite...I'm loving this book.  And, as I read, I head Richard Dawkins' lovely accent.  (It makes the science more palatable.)

joeactor

Yeah, I know this is an ancient topic, but I got an update!

There's an audio book version in the works by a collegue of mine:
[youtube:2u6v9vgm]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAcsmgaHpNQ[/youtube:2u6v9vgm]

Enjoy,
JoeActor

Miss Anthrope

i read God's Debris a couple years ago, I remember enjoying it a lot. I'll have to download it again, I've forgotten so much. Wasn't there a part about a church with differently colored stained glass windows and bees looking through them? Or was that one of Adams' other books?
How big is the smallest fish in the pond? You catch one hundred fishes, all
of which are greater than six inches. Does this evidence support the hypothesis
that no fish in the pond is much less than six inches long? Not if your
net can’t catch smaller fish. -Nick Bostrom

Heretical Rants

Quote from: "MommaSquid"Scott Adams said he used elements of hypnosis in this book.

All good authors do.