News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Walking Dead II

Started by Sandra Craft, February 24, 2016, 03:41:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pasta Chick

I thought she was faking as an excuse to hold the rosary. But then she did have a very hard time killing the red head, so I don't know.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Pasta Chick on March 17, 2016, 02:27:20 PM
I thought she was faking as an excuse to hold the rosary. But then she did have a very hard time killing the red head, so I don't know.

She seems to be having a crisis of conscience.  She identified with the redhead who lost 4 daughters.  She knew why she was like she was.  Basically an all female bloodbath, that episode.

Davin

I feel like Carol was faking it, but using some truth from inside her to fuel it. They were in a bad situation where they were given no slack. If things stayed as they were, with the whole group in the same room, watching Carol and Maggie, then they were definitely going to die. So Carol found a way to get some slack by pretending to be more scared than she was, and revealing that Maggie was pregnant. That changed the situation from static to fluid which would at least give them a chance to survive.

Carol has used the appearing weaker than she was thing several times already, so it's not out of character for her to try it again. It seemed to be very effective because they started calling her weak. But when trying to get more slack to move, Carol also learned a lot about the redhead (Paula I think). In that time, Carol started to identify with Paula, and I also think that Morgan's actions have influenced her a bit, along with wanting a better world for the new baby to grow up in. A world better for long term survival, which means that there needs to be less death, because it takes a long time for a replacement human and right now they are slowly edging towards extinction. If their goal is long term survival, then they need to start looking at things more like Morgan, not the complete lack of killing, but of valuing human life more.

So in the end, I think that while Carol planned to fake it, she ended up caring about Paula, and also questioned her views of what must be done in order to survive. Like a shift from looking in the short term to looking into the long term.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

chimp3

I think Morgan is starting to get inside Carols head. She also likes baking cookies and is yearning for a bit of domesticity.
I doubt it!

Pasta Chick

Theres a lot of suspended disbelief in a show like this. Makes the little details matter more.

So I'm really not ok with the idea that Daryl doesn't know how to drive stick in a half rotten pick up.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Pasta Chick on March 21, 2016, 01:45:40 AM
Theres a lot of suspended disbelief in a show like this. Makes the little details matter more.

So I'm really not ok with the idea that Daryl doesn't know how to drive stick in a half rotten pick up.

Does seem extremely odd for someone of his background and experience.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Sandra Craft

OK, somebody please tell me who Dwight is and what his problem is.  And is Eugene supposed to be autistic?
Sandy

Davin

Here's a wikia link, I'll try to condense it.

So one episode a while ago, Darryl got separated from his little group. He wandered into a burn out forest area where he found two women who talked with the same kind of, "we earned what we took," that we now know is common among Saviors. Then he gets knocked out by Dwight.

Darryl gets aways, but then comes back to help them. Darryl seems to make some headway with becoming allies, but then at the end, Dwight holds a gun to Darryl and steals his crossbow and motorcycle.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Pasta Chick

I don't think Eugene is canonically autistic, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I'm frankly getting annoyed with the violence:plot ratio in the show. Every time we start to get a bit of character development, everyone just starts shooting.

That aside, I want to see a 3-way Dwight fight

Sandra Craft

That wikia page badly needs a proofreader.  OK, so Dwight's a former Savior who talks way too much.  Interesting that he turned down an invite to Alexandria, and then thinks he can get in after he's made it obvious what a bad bet he is. 

A few more questions:

1.  is it really possible to bite someone in the crotch like that?  I'm thinking no, not just off the cuff.

2.  What in the world was Denise talking about when she was telling Daryl and Rosita off for something or other?  Is she always that incoherent?  The best I could figure is that she was angry with them for being good at killing while not being touch with their softer sides (altho wouldn't the 2nd be a requirement to do the 1st?), and angry at herself for not telling Tara she loved her.  But I'm not sure and all of it seemed to me like an argument that should have been conducted in a much safer place.

I think that's the main problem I'm having with this show, altho I am enjoying it for the most part -- people acting with little to no situational awareness after was seems to be years of being surrounded by zombies and feral humans.  I know people adapt to changed circumstances and get on with things, but the adaptation has to account for the changes.  Adaptation that ignores change is worse than useless.  I know Denise had never gone beyond the walls before (and I have a whole other problem with her doing it now, when she was the town's only doctor) but she should have still been aware of how incredibly dangerous it was out there, and not been farting around like she was.

3.  But Denise wasn't the only one not making sense, what was with Carol leaving?  The note she left said she didn't want to have to kill any more but there's a far greater chance of her having to kill living outside of Alexandria than inside.  In fact, they seem to give a lot of slack to non-killers there.  Morgan is very anti-killing yet nobody gives him grief about it.

Sandy

Pasta Chick

That's my long-standing beef with this show. This is also not the first fucking time they've sent their only doctor out into harm's way - in season 3 Hershel lost his leg after being bit helping clear the prison.

Ecurb Noselrub

I've given up on coherence - I just like to see them kick ass.  This is not the type of show where you can have consistent character development.  People have to evolve real quickly - the maturation cycle is about 30 minutes.

Davin

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on March 21, 2016, 10:07:47 PM1.  is it really possible to bite someone in the crotch like that?  I'm thinking no, not just off the cuff.
Jaw muscles are very strong, but to get one's mouth around something to bite down on is probably the difficult bit.

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc2.  What in the world was Denise talking about[...]?
In my experience, some people, when trying to improve themselves, tend to think they have a good perspective on others and try to give advice. The doc saw that Rosita and Daryl were sad for various reasons and tried to tell them how to fix themselves. It is as coherent to me as most other things people say.

Quote from: BooksCatsEtcI think that's the main problem I'm having with this show, altho I am enjoying it for the most part -- people acting with little to no situational awareness after was seems to be years of being surrounded by zombies and feral humans.[...]
That always bothers me in almost everything, when people out in a dangerous area slack off on looking around. And I don't like it when an attack comes from off the screen from a direction that one or more characters should be able to clearly see coming. So many of those "should see them coming deaths" that seems to be more about startling the viewer than telling a narrative.

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc3.  But Denise wasn't the only one not making sense, what was with Carol leaving?  The note she left said she didn't want to have to kill any more but there's a far greater chance of her having to kill living outside of Alexandria than inside.  In fact, they seem to give a lot of slack to non-killers there.  Morgan is very anti-killing yet nobody gives him grief about it.
People often do things that don't make sense if they think a bit farther ahead. Carol had been going through some shit and kept it to herself like she normally does, then just decided to go off by herself. She killed the sick people in the prison to "protect the group" when she didn't really need to, and it didn't even help, and she's killed to protect the group in many other situations as well. I think she just had enough of trying to feel better about the killing by justifying it behind having to kill for the good of the group. So not necessarily the killing, but killing for the group. Plus, she probably thinks she can go about alone and avoid most people.

Sandra Craft

I had to subscribe to Netflix to do it, but I'm finally catching up on the first 5 seasons.  So far I've binge watched my way thru season 1 and half of season 2, and mostly what I've noticed is that the people who are still around from those seasons certainly have changed a lot.  And I am beginning to greatly dislike Lori.
Sandy

Pasta Chick

Hating Lori is perfectly normal. Soon you'll hate Andrea too.