Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Talk About Star Wars With All the Spoilers You Want

Started by Pasta Chick, December 19, 2015, 03:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joeactor

Quote from: Pasta Chick on August 13, 2016, 12:07:19 AM
The full trailer for Rouge One is out

I'm thrilled with the grittier, amoral look of it... But I'm apprehensive about the actual story line. It just looks sort of confusing and hacked together to introduce some cool characters.

I'm kind of assuming it's the story about how they got the Deathstar plans in the first place.

Pasta Chick

It is. It's how they get there and some of the individual story arcs that look disjointed to me.

I'm afraid it's going to be like Dark Knight Rises, where there are like 5 different stories all happening at the same time and it's just overly complex and none of them actually flesh out very well. Maybe that's in part because of Lucas' prequels.

Mr. B

Quote from: Pasta Chick on August 13, 2016, 01:26:49 AM
It is. It's how they get there and some of the individual story arcs that look disjointed to me.

I'm afraid it's going to be like Dark Knight Rises, where there are like 5 different stories all happening at the same time and it's just overly complex and none of them actually flesh out very well. Maybe that's in part because of Lucas' prequels.

Have hope. Lucas no longer has anything to do with it.

Personally, I like the teaser trailer that came out months ago better. Sent chills down my spine and actually seemed a little more cohesive in my opinion.

Only time will tell. 
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Firebird

I'm really looking forward to this. I just hope the recent reshoots that Disney ordered won't screw it up because it's "too dark". That's the rumor these days. 

Quote from: Pasta Chick on August 13, 2016, 01:26:49 AM

I loved that movie, so I'd be fine with that  ;)
I just hope I'll get to see it in the theaters, since our kid will be born a month or so before. Ahh, adulthood interfering with my inner child. 
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Dave

Sorry folks, hit the "Quote" button instead of "Modify".

:redface:
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Dave

Films evolve like any other media, but there may be  a sort of disonance becsuse you have familiar themes and elements with a different presentation, different feel.

I am not a game player but do wonder how many game type elements have been woven into this film? Or even shots influenced by footage from the conflicts in the Near and Middle East. Those that do it for the profit have to keep up with current fashions and imagery. With no constraints of history (outside the "family" of films) and a tongue poke at physics.

But I get the impression a lot of the actors do it 'cos it's bloody good fun!

Love to see the outtakes!

Later: for those who watch it I wonder how many elements from "Game of Thrones" might turn up. But, like jokes, some things have been recycled for centuries, Bill the Bard still has influence.

Pasta Chick

I liked the teaser trailer better too, although they did do reshoots after that was released.

It -should- be dark. It's a prelude to war.

I know Lucas is out of it, but Disney doesn't exactly have a glowing record when it comes to prequels or sequels either.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Pasta Chick on August 13, 2016, 05:28:46 PM
I know Lucas is out of it, but Disney doesn't exactly have a glowing record when it comes to prequels or sequels either.

Yeah, fingers crossed they don't mess this one up.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Mr. B

It will be a little different than the last three movies. It will be about like A New Hope where we only saw one light saber battle. Everything else is just traditional war fair. It definitely has a grittier feel to it than episode IV had but cinematography has come a long way since then. The Force Awakens was a very decent film. I mean, yeah...Kylo was a whinny little spoiled rich kid with aspirations of GreatnessTM and an unhealthy obsession with his grandfather's legacy but, I am curious to see how his character develops. 

I like the juxtaposition between Force Awakens and Rogue One. Both take place at a time when Jedi are scarce. In Rogue one there is only Ben and Yoda with a padawan who is "too old" to start training (Luke is just beginning to walk down the path of his destiny in this film. I wonder if they will mention a young promising pilot from Tatooin?) . On the other side you have Vader and the Emperor and presumably a young unnamed sith in training? I wonder where Count Dooku is on this timeline?

In Force Awakens we see again a distinct lack of Jedi along with the rise of a young star and a reclusive old master. One Sith Lord and one apprentice who desperately needs more training now that a new student has found Luke.

And so, the Pendulum swings. 

I like this video which breaks down some possible scenarios in Rouge One.

*Disclaimer (I am not writing as an avid Star Wars fan but rather a movie fan of the franchise.)
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Dave

:thumbsup:

Nice post Mr B.

Looking forwatd to the film.

I try to judge every film on its merits not in comparison. That's why I enjoyed Davud Lynch's version, even if it did not follow the book tbst well - still a good example of casting and cinematography. The TV three parter was more accurate but less well casted and directed IMHO.

Guardian85

Quote from: Mr. B on August 14, 2016, 05:11:16 PM
I like the juxtaposition between Force Awakens and Rogue One. Both take place at a time when Jedi are scarce. In Rogue one there is only Ben and Yoda with a padawan who is "too old" to start training (Luke is just beginning to walk down the path of his destiny in this film. I wonder if they will mention a young promising pilot from Tatooin?) . On the other side you have Vader and the Emperor and presumably a young unnamed sith in training? I wonder where Count Dooku is on this timeline?
Not a new timeline. The standing canon are the 7 released films (Episodes 1-7) and the Clone Wars and Rebels TV shows.
Dooku died on the Invisible Hand. That is canon.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Mr. B

Right. I get myself confused sometimes when switching from past to future to present tense. Shortly after submitting that post I began to realize that Dooku was already dead before the 1st Death Start was completed.

Pasta Chick

The fan theories are getting wild, but I like some of them.

Of course there's Darth Plageus as Snoke, which is kinda haunting but seems obvious.

Mace Windu as snoke, which I like but it sure if it fits.

Rey as Palpatines granddaughter, which.. meh.

Finn as Mace Windu's son, which I don't like. Seems like a theory only because they're both black. Which lead me to think it would actually be conceivable for him to be Lando's son, and a potentially interesting story arc about how he's lost to the First Order. 

Arturo

Mace Windu isn't snoke ya crazies.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Pasta Chick