News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Talk About Star Wars With All the Spoilers You Want

Started by Pasta Chick, December 19, 2015, 03:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pasta Chick

Do we wait before going full spoilers since it's a new movie? Or fuck it, this is a spoiler thread?

I would have been annoyed with any other ending.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Pasta Chick on December 17, 2016, 03:58:00 PM
Do we wait before going full spoilers since it's a new movie? Or fuck it, this is a spoiler thread?

:notsure: This is a spoiler thread but IMO maybe use the spoiler tag until maybe Monday to give others a chance to see the movie (and G85 a chance to watch it another 20 or so times :grin:). 

QuoteI would have been annoyed with any other ending.

Now that it's sunk in I agree, any other ending would have been overly cliché.

Spoiler ahead:

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Arturo

I'm seeing the movie either Monday or Thursday so I will be back then.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Pasta Chick

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 17, 2016, 06:09:21 PM

Spoiler ahead:

Yeah, I can see where they were sorta setting that up too, but again, cliches...

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Pasta Chick on December 18, 2016, 01:30:44 AM
Yeah, I can see where they were sorta setting that up too, but again, cliches...

Recusant

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

Pasta Chick

Yes, that.

Also, BF just sent me this, which we've been mulling over on our own since we saw the movie. It's full of spoilers, in case you also ignore it's many spoiler warnings.

The Detail in Rogue One Annoying Me

Davin

Now what has bothered me since the reveal of Leia being Vader's daughter, and also having the force: didn't Vader know that she had the force? He could detect Luke from super far away, but it wouldn't make sense if he couldn't detect Leia's force when he was two inches away from her. Maybe her force isn't as strong as Luke's, but they said that there was another if Luke died, and I thought they were talking about Leia. But if that were the case, then wouldn't she have a decent amount power with the force? It just seems like Vader should have felt her through the force on more than one occasion.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Pasta Chick

Are we all good to go spoiler tag free? Using tags on my phone sucks.

Davin

I'm fine with tag free spoilers, it's past opening weekend and the thread has a warning about spoilers.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Pasta Chick on December 20, 2016, 05:50:15 PM
Are we all good to go spoiler tag free? Using tags on my phone sucks.

Sure. :grin:

WARNING!!!! Rogue One Spoilers beyond this point!

Guardian85

Quote from: Davin on December 20, 2016, 02:59:58 PM

"Intercepted transmissions"
So the ship the princess is on was on the ship that received the transmissions from the planet. These are the transmissions that Vader in IV is talking about that were intercepted. I'm not sure what else someone would call them, so that fits with me.

"But we're just on a diplomatic mission"
Probably a last ditch effort to try to weasel themselves out of it. There was a time when the ship (probably not the only one of the same type in the galaxy), wasn't observed, and they might have been trying to get Vader to doubt that they had the right ship. And why not? Would it have worked out better if they were like, "oh, you got us, we're all rebels and you should kill us."

But why was the princess even there?
I think I remember them saying that they'd want to enlist the help of a certain robed friend who had been hiding since they started hunting Jedi, and that they were entrusting the mission to someone they were hinting to be Leia, so why would she not be with the fleet that was getting the information that she is supposed to deliver? Also, the ship was inside another ship out of sight, they were probably planning to hand over the data, go to some other system, drop the ship off, then proceed on a real diplomatic mission... until Vader showed up in a moon sized battle station and whooped their asses.

Now what has bothered me since the reveal of Leia being Vader's daughter, and also having the force: didn't Vader know that she had the force? He could detect Luke from super far away, but it wouldn't make sense if he couldn't detect Leia's force when he was two inches away from her. Maybe her force isn't as strong as Luke's, but they said that there was another if Luke died, and I thought they were talking about Leia. But if that were the case, then wouldn't she have a decent amount power with the force? It just seems like Vader should have felt her through the force on more than one occasion.

A common trick in the Star Wars "Extended Universe" is for ships doing shady shit to have two or more transponders for identification.
Captain Antilles was probably trying to bluff Vader into thinking that the ship he saw at Scarif and the one they caught later were not the same. The CR-90 is a fairly common design in the Star Wars universe, so it might have worked on a less capable interrogator.

As for Varder being able to sense Luke and not Leia, he didn't sense Luke when he was on Tattooiine in the beginning of Episode IV. He didn't start really noticing him until Luke started using his powers and had had some training. It is not therefore not unwarranted to believe that as a force user develops their abilities they become more detectable as they become stronger. Until they reach a point where they have to employ force skills to actively hide their precence, as Obi-Wan did.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Pasta Chick

Quote from: Davin on December 20, 2016, 02:59:58 PM
But why was the princess even there?
I think I remember them saying that they'd want to enlist the help of a certain robed friend who had been hiding since they started hunting Jedi, and that they were entrusting the mission to someone they were hinting to be Leia, so why would she not be with the fleet that was getting the information that she is supposed to deliver? Also, the ship was inside another ship out of sight, they were probably planning to hand over the data, go to some other system, drop the ship off, then proceed on a real diplomatic mission... until Vader showed up in a moon sized battle station and whooped their asses

They were definitely sending her to contact Obi Wan, but that was well before the attack began. The rebels were planning NOT to attack at that point and had no idea they would be receiving plans. So Leia was told to contact Obi Wan, and many hours later got on a Mon Calamari cruiser headed unplanned to a war zone.

QuoteNow what has bothered me since the reveal of Leia being Vader's daughter, and also having the force: didn't Vader know that she had the force? He could detect Luke from super far away, but it wouldn't make sense if he couldn't detect Leia's force when he was two inches away from her. Maybe her force isn't as strong as Luke's, but they said that there was another if Luke died, and I thought they were talking about Leia. But if that were the case, then wouldn't she have a decent amount power with the force? It just seems like Vader should have felt her through the force on more than one occasion.

What G8 said. Leia had been intentionally kept hidden from Vader by Yoda and Obi Wan (and apparently Qui Gon as well) so in addition to not knowing she was there to look for, I imagine they would have taken keeping her hidden in the force into account.

Davin

Quote from: Guardian85 on December 21, 2016, 01:27:27 AMAs for Varder being able to sense Luke and not Leia, he didn't sense Luke when he was on Tattooiine in the beginning of Episode IV. He didn't start really noticing him until Luke started using his powers and had had some training. It is not therefore not unwarranted to believe that as a force user develops their abilities they become more detectable as they become stronger. Until they reach a point where they have to employ force skills to actively hide their precence, as Obi-Wan did.
I don't remember Vader near Luke, but also, even when someone is not trained with the force, Jedi can detect it at close range, and Vader was all up in her face interrogating her. If she had the force as it is later revealed, Vader should have known. I don't think Vader ever got very close to Obi Wan or Luke, until they both got onto the Death Star, then Vader could feel them. It doesn't make sense to me, unless Vader knew that Leia had the force.