News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Regression into Christanity

Started by Siz, October 23, 2015, 03:41:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZenithOClock

I was brought up a Christian and I went to a CofE school. I turned out to be a fine atheist.

Trust MicroSiz will find her way and let MrsSiz have her way Vis-à-vis the edumacation.

Zen

Siz

Quote from: ZenithOClock on February 15, 2016, 11:15:54 PM
I was brought up a Christian and I went to a CofE school. I turned out to be a fine atheist.

Trust MicroSiz will find her way and let MrsSiz have her way Vis-à-vis the edumacation.

Zen
Thanks. We'll see...

Where're you from? There're a few Brits here... but not so many as to ruin it. Recusant is an honourary Brit because he writes with a posh Home Counties accent (but he's not dim like Tim). Asmo is a wannabe Brit but he hasn't yet mastered the veiled snide. Crow is a fraud Brit because he's insufficiently contemptuous of Londoners. Tank is an unshakeable nice person... unless you shake him by dissing minorities. Then he uses the 'C' word a lot and everyone hides under their desks. There are others who you haven't met yet, but they're not here to defend themselves so they're just stinky Northerners.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Tank

Quote from: Siz on February 16, 2016, 08:15:53 AM

Zen
Thanks. We'll see...

Where're you from? There're a few Brits here... but not so many as to ruin it. Recusant is an honourary Brit because he writes with a posh Home Counties accent (but he's not dim like Tim). Asmo is a wannabe Brit but he hasn't yet mastered the veiled snide. Crow is a fraud Brit because he's insufficiently contemptuous of Londoners. Tank is an unshakeable nice person... unless you shake him by dissing minorities. Then he uses the 'C' word a lot and everyone hides under their desks. There are others who you haven't met yet, but they're not here to defend themselves so they're just stinky Northerners.
Awwwww thanks Siz *blushes* :)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Siz

Quote from: Tank on February 16, 2016, 08:18:52 AM

Zen
Thanks. We'll see...

Awwwww thanks Siz *blushes* :)

Siz - Master of the veiled snide...  :o

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Crow

Quote from: Siz on February 16, 2016, 08:15:53 AMCrow is a fraud Brit because he's insufficiently contemptuous of Londoners.

It isn't Londoners fault that everyone decided to move there.
Retired member.

Bad Penny

What kind of modernist consumer focused master of veiled snide crafts a snide and then immediately after announces his snide. Ahhhh, it's not like it used to be.

Bluenose

Zen
Thanks. We'll see...

Well, although I was born in Carshalton and hold a Pommie passport, I was neutralised as an Aussie around 50 years ago (and so also hold an Aussie passport) and furthermore have First Fleeters in my ancestry on my mother's side. To wit one Anthony Rope and Elizabeth Pulley (I kid you not) who are reputed to have had the first European child conceived on Australian soil. (The 26th January 1788 in Sydney Cove was apparently a riotous affair.)  I Thus feel fully qualified as both a Brit and a Colonial and therefore obviously not a Northerner, stinky or otherwise, to refute Siz's scurrilous aspersion despite not having been here to defend myself! :P
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Bad Penny

You try too hard and are thus "neutralised"

Siz

Quote from: Bluenose on February 16, 2016, 12:10:52 PM

Zen
Thanks. We'll see...

Well, although I was born in Carshalton and hold a Pommie passport, I was neutralised as an Aussie around 50 years ago (and so also hold an Aussie passport) and furthermore have First Fleeters in my ancestry on my mother's side. To wit one Anthony Rope and Elizabeth Pulley (I kid you not) who are reputed to have had the first European child conceived on Australian soil. (The 26th January 1788 in Sydney Cove was apparently a riotous affair.)  I Thus feel fully qualified as both a Brit and a Colonial and therefore obviously not a Northerner, stinky or otherwise, to refute Siz's scurrilous aspersion despite not having been here to defend myself! :P

Carshalton? No shit! That's where MiniSiz and I do our turbo training every week.

However, don't even think that a half-century old claim qualifies you. We've rewritten the book several times since then.  Waltz on Matilda, waltz on...

Recusant

If I've somehow managed to acquire the designation of "honourary Brit" I shall accept it with equanimity, while reserving the right to register my dissatisfaction at some later date, depending on circumstances.  :toff:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Siz

Quote from: Recusant on February 16, 2016, 07:17:41 PM
If I've somehow managed to acquire the designation of "honourary Brit" I shall accept it with equanimity, while reserving the right to register my dissatisfaction at some later date, depending on circumstances. :toff:

See, you're a natural!

...Though dissatisfaction is best registered by default regrdless of circumstances.

ZenithOClock

Zen
Thanks. We'll see...

I'm from the deep, deep South originally, a small village in West Sussex - like the Brit version of Asterix. I know London like the back of me old man's hand (he was a proper cockney) [the proper way to say cockney is 'proper cockney'].

I like to consider myself a fine proponent of the snide, also lobbing the euphemism bomb is another British skill that is not nearly as appreciated as it should be, don't you agree old chap?

Zen

Tank

Quote from: ZenithOClock on February 16, 2016, 11:29:03 PM

Zen
Thanks. We'll see...

I'm from the deep, deep South originally, a small village in West Sussex - like the Brit version of Asterix. I know London like the back of me old man's hand (he was a proper cockney) [the proper way to say cockney is 'proper cockney'].

I like to consider myself a fine proponent of the snide, also lobbing the euphemism bomb is another British skill that is not nearly as appreciated as it should be, don't you agree old chap?

Zen
I was born in Worthing and my dad in the East End  :)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

ZenithOClock

Quote from: Tank
I was born in Worthing and my dad in the East End  :)

Now that's synchronicity. Worthing is a little East of my village. My grandfather owned the beach huts on Selsey beach, don't know what happened to them though, they mysteriously vanished out of the family... I used to play round Pagham harbour as a kid, I knew stories about the secret harbour long before I understood anything about WWII.

My old man was born in Stepney but moved out to Harmondsworth as a kid. He used to play on the old London Bridge stones before they got shipped out to the US.

Essie Mae

Well I don't see why anyone should be contemptuous of us Londoners; I can be both nice and snide, and I have never met a northerner who was stinky.  I did know a Lancastrian once and she was always going on and on about how wonderful it was.  I got so fed up with it that I asked her, quite innocently why she didnt go back there.  Its the only time in my adult life that I had a friendship terminated, but I didnt mind. 

I have a lovely aunt and uncle in Selsey who I visit several times a year.

My dad was born in the Cromwell Road, and my Mum in Paddington. I was born in Earls Court, just round the corner from Olympia. My dad registered my birth in Kensington because he thought it was posher.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare