News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Top Ten Favorite Fantasy Films?

Started by WogglebugLovingFilms, December 23, 2014, 01:25:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WogglebugLovingFilms

What ten films in the fantasy genre are your favorites? List in the order of relevance, unless there is none. If any are more sci-fi genre those can count also.

Mine are as follows:
1. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial
2. The Wizard of Oz
3. The Pagemaster
4. The Neverending Story
5. Labyrinth
6. Mirrormask
7. Arthur and the Invisibles
8. James and the Giant Peach
9. Alice in Wonderland (2010)
10. Inkheart
"We are of the Universe. No Gods Needed."

"Your Mind is a Garden. Your Thoughts are the Seeds. You Can Grow Flowers or You Can Grow Weeds."

"Always Remember Your Current Situation is Not the Final Destination. The Best is Yet to Come."

Tank

1. Alien
2. Aliens
3. 2001 A space odyssey
4. Guardians of the Galaxy
5. Going Postal
6. The Hogfather
7. The Colour of Magic
8. Avatar
9. Shrek
10. Star Trek

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

No Lord of the Rings or The Hobbit? Those would be on my list, along with Star Trek and Star Wars. I eenjoyed the Neverending Story as well.

Though not a fantasy film per se, I really like the Game of Thrones series.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Asmodean

Hmm... I'll try to stick with fantasy and fantasy-like Sci-Fi...

2.   The Neverending Story (1984. Fuck the sequels)
3.   Lord of the Rings triology (Though only for the prettiness of it and the vastness of its budget)
4.   The Hobbit triology, though for the same reason as above.
5.   Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within
6.   Pirates of the Caribbean series
7.   Final Fantasy: Advent children
8.   Labyrinth (The one with that singer guy in case the name is too generic)
9.   La Cit? des enfants perdus
10. The Crow series (loose fit for the genre, or this would have been higher. For those insisting on sticking with a more fantasy-ish theme, put Van Helsing as my number 10 in stead)
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

WogglebugLovingFilms

I was of course referring to Labyrith with David Bowie in it (he also voiced the villain of Arthur and the Invisibles, by the way)

I quite agree about the sequels of The Neverending Story. The 1984 one is often enjoyable for things the sequels lacked in (acting, plot execution, emotional impact). But ironically the book IS better, and author Michael Ende lived only long enough to see the 1984 film and abosolutely hated it and sued the filmmakers (and lost the case) and this is why his name is only in the first movie's end credits and not the introduction ones.

I always felt bad for Michael Ende about that, and this is one of the reasons why I've preferred to study screenwriting so I could make my own movies and books at once.
"We are of the Universe. No Gods Needed."

"Your Mind is a Garden. Your Thoughts are the Seeds. You Can Grow Flowers or You Can Grow Weeds."

"Always Remember Your Current Situation is Not the Final Destination. The Best is Yet to Come."

Pasta Chick

I'm no good at the list aspect, but definitely Star Wars (Empire, Jedi and A New Hope in that order - the other 3 are blasphemy).  Pan's Labyrinth.  I feel like there's something very obvious I've watched dozens of times that I'm missing here...

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 24, 2014, 12:10:26 AM
No Lord of the Rings or The Hobbit? Those would be on my list, along with Star Trek and Star Wars. I eenjoyed the Neverending Story as well.

Though not a fantasy film per se, I really like the Game of Thrones series.
I considered LotR and Star Wars.

The LotR films are a little like the book for me. The first time I read them I consumed them reading as much as I could every day, I was enthralled by them. Second time around was an anti-climax, they just didn't have that wow factor and were thus a rather long story.

Star Wars is too commercial and derivative. I'll watch them and I'll enjoy them but it's a simple commercial transaction, I'll pay George Lucas to entertain me.   
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Ecurb Noselrub

The real ground breakers were The Wizard of Oz, Star Wars (first one), and Avatar.

Eric V Arachnid

Space stuff is Sci fi, even if they for some convoluted reason carry swords.
The Princess Bride
Shreks
The Potters
Willow
Hell Boy, probably the second one, the elven guy was cool.
Lord of the Rings/Hobitses
Pirates of the Caribbean
Hogfather\
Alice in Wonderland, the Depp one.
Beowulf
Outlander, ye maybe it should be sci fi.
The first Highlander

Misanthropic Curmudgeon

Asmodean

Highlander! I'm going to re-watch that.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Eric V Arachnid

Malificent, I've only watched that once so far but I will watch it again.
I think Spiderwick and Bridge to Terabithia were OK..
Brave, How to train your dragaon.
The Adventures of Baron Munchausen

Narnia annoys me, snotty nosed siblings find a door into another world and become princes and princesses, lord it over the common folk.  Makes me want to vomit.
Misanthropic Curmudgeon

Pasta Chick

I like the idea of Narnia, but it really beats you over the head with the Christ allegory.  I don't mind some biblical tie-ons, like the Matrix for example, but Narnia is all "LOOK ASLAN IS JESUS!  HE SAID THAT THING LIKE JESUS DID! AND DID YOU NOTICE HES JESUS? WE'RE GOING TO KILL HIM JUST LIKE JESUS BUT DONT WORRY, HE'LL BE BACK BECAUSE HES JESUS!"

Eric V Arachnid

Quote from: Pasta Chick on December 26, 2014, 01:22:21 PM
I like the idea of Narnia, but it really beats you over the head with the Christ allegory.  I don't mind some biblical tie-ons, like the Matrix for example, but Narnia is all "LOOK ASLAN IS JESUS!  HE SAID THAT THING LIKE JESUS DID! AND DID YOU NOTICE HES JESUS? WE'RE GOING TO KILL HIM JUST LIKE JESUS BUT DONT WORRY, HE'LL BE BACK BECAUSE HES JESUS!"

I'd be willing to refer to and defer to you as Princess Pasta Chick.
Misanthropic Curmudgeon

Asmodean

Quote from: Eric V Arachnid on December 26, 2014, 12:16:31 PM
I think Spiderwick and Bridge to Terabithia were OK..
I liked Bridge to Terabithia, but it's sort of fantasy in the same way K-Pax is sci-fi

Narnia annoys me, snotty nosed siblings find a door into another world and become princes and princesses, lord it over the common folk.  Makes me want to vomit.
Yes, makes The Asmo murderous, that does.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Dobermonster

Quote from: Pasta Chick on December 26, 2014, 01:22:21 PM

Yeah, the books got more interesting once he drifted away from the allegory and focused on expanding the universe and the characters. It was still there, but not quite so heavy-handed. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader was my favourite.